Old 08-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default Dud?

It's been a while since I've come to the 'experts' for feedback or advice, but the time has come. Although I've gotten some positive feedback on this photo is more of a bust that I thought it would have been. I understand that the right side is blown out due to the sunshine coming in through the open doors, but it made it possible to get the crewman silhouetted while the engine is detailed. What am I missing? Be as harsh and/or honest as you wish!
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 197406
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
JRMDC

What is the measure of "dudness"? Views? I didn't see it before, so I did not choose not to click on it!

Putting aside what the thumbnail shows, looking at the full image, one thing that strikes me is that the person's pose/position is pretty bland. The arms are not indicative of an upcoming movement or work effort, and no tools are being held; the head is positioned so the (unseen) face is looking at, well, something, but not sure what. So the implied motion of the individual does not exist.

Engine looks a little tilted to the right, minor, not important.

There are lots of things to like about it, the well lit trough under the engine for one, the gleam on the number plate on the nose. It's very nice.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
. . . one thing that strikes me is that the person's pose/position is pretty bland. . .
Hmm, interesting POV, I took many photos (mostly horizontal) of the figure in different poses. The reason I liked this one best is because you can tell it is a person instead of a black blob although I will admit that a profile would be better.

Thanks for the input!

Anyone else, flaws? thoughts? comments ?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
It's been a while since I've come to the 'experts' for feedback or advice, but the time has come. Although I've gotten some positive feedback on this photo is more of a bust that I thought it would have been. I understand that the right side is blown out due to the sunshine coming in through the open doors, but it made it possible to get the crewman silhouetted while the engine is detailed. What am I missing? Be as harsh and/or honest as you wish!
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 197406
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I'm no expert, but I can say I like the shot a lot. It's not an everyday shot, and I remember that you mentioned that you like bringing in non-everyday shots to RP. I'm thinking that you probably think it's a dud because of the amount of views it got. I don't judge photos that way. Most of the photos I have in the database of locomotives that are old and aren't extremely nice-looking have more views then more creative/colorful views of other locomotives that actually look nice. I don't think views on a shot can judge whether or not the shot is a dud.

Last edited by Carl Becker; 08-15-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

My one gripe about it would be the blown outeness of the light coming in. It's a tad distracting, although I understand why you shot it this way and can't think of what I might have done differently. I do wonder how a conversion to b&w might have done.

Don't hold this against me next time you see one or five of my shots in the qeue!

Joe
Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I like the shot. It's a nice atmospheric portrait. I wouldn't call it a dud at all. I have some shots that I really like that don't seem to get any views at all. Are they duds? To others, yes, but not to me. You shoot best if you shoot for yourself first. Everything else is a bonus.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering from low viewcounts, but this is yet another example of viewcounts not being an indicator of shot quality. I had a short streak of shots about a month back which did extremely well, getting me all excited. Since then, my shots have barely made a ripple in the water.

I know it's vain, but I like to share my shots with others, and have my shots appreciated. I want people who view my pictures to get the same amount of excitement and awe I get from viewing the work of my favorite photographers. That's why I post shots to RP.net, and I'm sure all other contributors have a similar reason for posting.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Whew, thank you all for you input and kind remarks as well. I guess I was just hoping to get more feedback rather than views as its not the typical Strasburg shot and a rare shot as the western doors of the enginehouse are not typically open allowing this view. It's among my favorite shots ever despite its flaws so I'm certainly happy with it, I just wanted to know how many others saw it how I do. =) Thanks again to those who have responded.

No need to worry, Joe.
(I prefer $20's).

Just kidding of course.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
I know it's vain, but I like to share my shots with others, and have my shots appreciated. I want people who view my pictures to get the same amount of excitement and awe I get from viewing the work of my favorite photographers. That's why I post shots to RP.net, and I'm sure all other contributors have a similar reason for posting.
Since I feel the same way, it can't be vain, because I'm not vain!

One of my reasons for RP participation is simply knowing that my stuff is being seen. While views are not a measure of quality, another goal of mine, they are a measure that is important to me. I prefer to shoot to share than to shoot for myself as a hermit.

Toward that end, I'm glad that my recent historical stuff has been well received so far. It certainly isn't a reflection on my current ability as a photographer; I barely remember that kid from way back then, much less have any connection to his shooting abilities. So for me, views = sharing, not quality.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Union Pacific Fan
Banned

The light is great. The crew man is pretty close to silouhette. There is a little noise though Otherwise I love the photo! Great piece of History!
Union Pacific Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
Ween

It's steam. Duh! The only thing worse would have been if it were UP!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
Union Pacific Fan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Not if it was a Challenger!
Union Pacific Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #13
Flowing

Andrew, when I first saw this photo I voted it as a PC. It's no dud. For me, the light shinning into the pit under the engine is the icing on the cake.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 AM   #14
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
That's probably the best thing I've ever seen you say.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
Switched out

Default Dud? I don't think so

It's been awhile since I have had the opportunity to fiddle with one of (2)s photos so here goes.

Would I have done anything different If I took the photo? No not really, I might of stood one pace to the right but that's about it. Maybe the worker could have been oiling up the motion or something like that.

Would I have processed it differently? well maybe see attached.

Is this up to Andrew's usual standards? yes I think so. The only additional comment I will make is this situation is where shooting RAW would probably of made a difference particularly to the highlight detail.

Just my thoughts Andrew, keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Christine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andrew-2-PSrw.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2056  
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 AM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Pacific Fan
There is a little noise though
That was the ONLY thing I really noticed that I felt detracted from the image.

Andrew, did you lighten this image at all? The noise I see looks similar to that which I see when I try to lighten a dark image too much. It's especially noticeable in the stack and exhaust hood. Noise Ninja would probably work wonders with this image.

I like it....but what I've noticed is steam shots are getting less views lately. The one I uploaded recently that you said you liked didn't get many views at all.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:55 AM   #17
a231pacific

Andrew,

I like the shot. I like Christine's rework, but I also like the original. It might be interesting to see it in B&W as well.

The noise is probably a result of having to do quite a bit of shadow recovery to get the detail on the front of the engine. If you ever get a chance to shoot this again, try some fill flash or maybe even bring a big piece of foam core board covered with aluminum foil that you could use to reflect some light on the nose. Hollywood knows that you need real light, which is why you see lights used in daytime shots.

The bright background light makes for the silhouette, but you might be able to do a composite shot, expose one shot several stops down from the main exposure and overlay the two. This would still give you a silhouette, but not as heavily blown out.

Still, far from a dud!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote