Old 12-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
sullivan1985

Default Alaska Railroad Calendar Contest

Fellow RailPictures Photographers, one of my photos has been accepted to be printed in the 2016/2017 Alaska Railroad calendar.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

It's up to a vote now to see if the image can be made the Cover Photo. If voted #1 it also comes with a $1,500 prize and round trip travel for four on the Alaska Railroad.

If you would like to lend some support, do so with this link http://woobox.com/58t42n/vote/for/9902397

You have to "Like" the official Alaska Railroad Facebook page to vote and can cast a new vote once every 9 hours until January 10th when the polls close.

Thanks!
sullivan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

Voted for you - anyone NJ wins my vote. (and it's a damn fine shot)
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
tbelton

I voted also for your shot. Nice one.
tbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
RobJor

Voted, nice work. Will try to get back, not sure about every nine hours tho. Smile

bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
sullivan1985

Any help is appreciated! Polls close on January 10!

Thank you all!
Old 12-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
sullivan1985

The competition is getting intense! Still two weeks left of this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20151224-101501~01.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	9060  
Old 12-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Mberry

Ok, done....
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
sullivan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Ok, done....
Thank you, sir!
Old 12-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Ok, done....
Ditto that.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:05 AM   #10
sullivan1985

Thank you all! Keep at it! The competition is getting heated and there are still 15 days to go!

You can continue to vote after 9 hours until January 10!
Old 12-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
sullivan1985

The contest is still very close and is usually near tied! If you have a moment, please lend a fellow RailPictures contributor a hand a place a vote.

Votes can be cast every 9 hours.

Cast your votes here: http://woobox.com/58t42n/vote/for/9902397
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comb27122015073458.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	9061  
Old 12-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #12
JRMDC

Honestly, Michael, say you win. What will you have won? A popularity contest? What will you have shown? That you can leverage social online sites better than the other person?

In my view it's fine to go online and say "guys, here's a contest, come vote for me". It seems to be another thing to keep pushing it over and over. My tastes only; I make no claim whatsoever to be invoking any general principle of behavior or morals.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 AM   #13
sullivan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Honestly, Michael, say you win. What will you have won? A popularity contest? What will you have shown? That you can leverage social online sites better than the other person?

In my view it's fine to go online and say "guys, here's a contest, come vote for me". It seems to be another thing to keep pushing it over and over. My tastes only; I make no claim whatsoever to be invoking any general principle of behavior or morals.
This is the way the contest was setup. You don't have to vote if you don't like it. I'm at least going to try to support my work. Personally I would have been much happier with a 1-vote a day system that didn't rely on Facebook.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #14
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan1985 View Post
This is the way the contest was setup. You don't have to vote if you don't like it. I'm at least going to try to support my work. Personally I would have been much happier with a 1-vote a day system that didn't rely on Facebook.
I like anything that doesn't rely on Facebook. And it should be one vote grand total, so there's no ballot box stuffing.

BTW, I see FB is making it harder for non-members to access content. Anyone know a way to defeat their giant signup popup?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:28 AM   #15
KevinM

I find it really odd that anyone would select the cover image for a calendar in the manner described in this thread. It does not appear that the sponsor of the "competition" is really interested at all in the most worthy winner. Rather, the $1,500 is most likely just a form of "bait" for the purposes of goading large numbers of people into wasting their time generating Facebook likes/hits for some website.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:17 AM   #16
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I find it really odd that anyone would select the cover image for a calendar in the manner described in this thread. It does not appear that the sponsor of the "competition" is really interested at all in the most worthy winner. Rather, the $1,500 is most likely just a form of "bait" for the purposes of goading large numbers of people into wasting their time generating Facebook likes/hits for some website.
Welcome to 2015, and soon 2016, Kevin.

Fortunately, and somewhat unique to the whole FB contest thing - Michael's picture actually IS the best shot in the running. It's one of those rare instances where the best photo actually does win. You know the saying, now - f/8 and link there.

Good luck Michael! I voted for ya (Kevin's not on FB, lol).

(The way I see it - with 4 round trip tickets, there should be one extra, lol!)

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #17
sullivan1985

Thanks, Mitch.

The way the contest is set up is tiring for sure. And I will admit it's a popularity contest at this point. I'm not expecting anybody to vote for my picture. If they do, great! If not, oh well. I feel bad for the other photographers because I do think there are some great pieces!

I submitted my picture to this not thinking anything would come out of it. I see some really amazing photos come out of Alaska every year and I figured a few of them would have appeared in the calendar this time around. I actually totally forgot that I had even submitted anything until I got an email last week saying I'm a finalist.

At least one thing is for sure, everybody in the contest is getting printed whether they make firstnor not.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #18
coborn35

Quote:

What will he have won? To me $1,500 and a trip to Alaska is worth doing some rounds on the ol 'Book and forums. Yikes.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
What will he have won? To me $1,500 and a trip to Alaska is worth doing some rounds on the ol 'Book and forums. Yikes.
I was not aware of the prize. The target of my comment shifts, then, from Michael to the Alaska RR, so foolish as to put a $2000+ plus prize up for an internet popularity contest.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:35 AM   #20
KevinM

Quote:
I was not aware of the prize. The target of my comment shifts, then, from Michael to the Alaska RR, so foolish as to put a $2000+ plus prize up for an internet popularity contest.
Amen to that. I suspect that whoever wins this prize will likely just take the $1,500 and run. Someone in the lower 48 who is inclined to fly themselves and 3 friends to Anchorage in order to take advantage of the free train tickets will likely far exceed $1,500 in travel and living expenses doing so. When I flew from Boston to Whitehorse back in 2011, the cheapest airfare I could find was well over $1,200 and that was just me.....and that was just the beginning.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
NorthWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
BTW, I see FB is making it harder for non-members to access content. Anyone know a way to defeat their giant signup popup?
The big semi-transparent black box that covers the screen?

If you scroll down far enough it covers the full screen and there is a white X to close it at top right. Adblock also seems to do a good job of killing it.

Strangely enough, it stopped doing that to me even without Adblock.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:40 AM   #22
sullivan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Amen to that. I suspect that whoever wins this prize will likely just take the $1,500 and run. Someone in the lower 48 who is inclined to fly themselves and 3 friends to Anchorage in order to take advantage of the free train tickets will likely far exceed $1,500 in travel and living expenses doing so. When I flew from Boston to Whitehorse back in 2011, the cheapest airfare I could find was well over $1,200 and that was just me.....and that was just the beginning.
Actually the plan is to return to Alaska this year with some (if not all the same) people as last September. The $1,500.00 will be a nice prize but the rail fare will be used to supply travel to all or most of the group that can make it.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #23
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWest View Post
The big semi-transparent black box that covers the screen?

If you scroll down far enough it covers the full screen and there is a white X to close it at top right. Adblock also seems to do a good job of killing it.

Strangely enough, it stopped doing that to me even without Adblock.
I just tried again, and the X only minimized the box to the entire bottom 1/4 of the screen. That was with Firefox and adblock.

At least right click > view image works perfectly.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 12-30-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: correction
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #24
loomus78

And now it has recently come to my attention that one of the reasons for the dogfight between Michael and the other photographer's photo is another Facebook user, not the actual photographer is going around and asking people to vote for that photo just in spite of Michael because of a personal falling out.

Yes, this is the world we now live in.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #25
NorthWest

Well, it works for me using the same setup. Computers...
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote