Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
lothes19

Default David Plowden Exhibition and Lectures in California

For anyone who's in California or can get there in the coming weeks, I'd like to recommend that you check out David Plowden's Requiem for Steam photography exhibition at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento. Plowden is a highly-respected photographer of American landscape and industry, and he got his start by photographing steam locomotives and railroads in the 1950s and 60s. This is a rare example of railroad photography crossing over into mainstream photography and art, and Plowden's black-and-white prints are well-worth seeing and pondering in person.

Plowden will also be speaking at the museum in early November. The Center for Railroad Photography & Art is hosting a lecture and reception on November 4, and the museum is hosting additional lectures on November 6. Plowden's new book of railroad photographs, Requiem for Steam, will be available, and he'll be happy to sign it and any other of his books. I can say from personal experience that hearing Plowden speak is an absolute treat. He's warm and engaging, still full of passion and energy at age 78.

Hope to see you there, and feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

Scott Lothes, Project Director
Center for Railroad Photography & Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plowden_cv.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	5873  
lothes19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art, photography, plowden, railroad, steam