Old 01-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50
Default A Conductors worst nightmare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVE0RHsiYA
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
Ween

Which part...the guy getting hit by the train or the fact that people are photographing/videoing the railroad employees while they're working?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Arne H. B.

Well the title of the video is "railfan's worst nightmare", so either the railfan didn't want to witness such a thing, or they feel the crew doesn't look out for them very much. Read some of the comments, a lot of folks blame the conductor.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Definitely the worst part is the comments on the video, as mentioned...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Which part...the guy getting hit by the train or the fact that people are photographing/videoing the railroad employees while they're working?

wow...what an ass... hitting anybody with a train is traumatic for the crew, no matter if they were asking for it or not. IDK What the guy was doing on the point, he sure wasnt protecting the shove

EDIT: Grandforks, this is the perfect reason i dont want railfans out fuckin around when i'm working. I dont know you... I dont know if you have enough common sense to get out of the way of an oncoming train...

Last edited by Burner50; 01-28-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
SDavey

It almost looks to me that he turned into the train after the tail end had already passed him. I would have to agree that blame should be dealt out equally between the dumbo and guys protecting the shove because they didnít do anything.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Adds new meaning to the term telemash

What an idiot... natural selection's doing its best.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
medic_pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose

What an idiot... natural selection's doing its best.
But I love these idiots. As long as they are around, I'll always have a job.
medic_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic_pilot
But I love these idiots. As long as they are around, I'll always have a job.
So will I. I'm probably going to be in the minority here though, but why in the hell wouldn't the crew stop and kick him off the tracks. He is obviously too close to the tracks and the engine is not going to clear him. I feel sorry for the guy for two reasons... first he's an idiot for being where he is, secondly because the crew was so negligent in their operating. I'm not saying the crew is supposed to babysit us trackside, but look how much extra work they created for themselves by clipping this guy.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
JimThias

Interesting how they kept the loco going...and then ran around to the other end of the train to tie on. Did they even realize they hit him?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #11
Ween

I was wondering if he went under the train, but the video guy stopped filming (dumb!).
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
Frederick

It seems like tourist RR's and steam events are magnets for morons that treat tracks as their own personal playground.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
It seems like tourist RR's and steam events are magnets for morons that treat tracks as their own personal playground.
Why not? After all, it's not a 'real' railroad.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #14
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Why not? After all, it's not a 'real' railroad.
I'm mostly referring to steam events (UP 844, CP 2816, MILW 261, etc.) where foamers wander all around railroad property, set up a tripod on an adjacent track, or stand on the mainline for no apparent reason.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #15
Ween

Quote:
where foamers wander all around railroad property, set up a tripod on an adjacent track, or stand on the mainline for no apparent reason.
The media does this for special runs as well, so it isn't just foamers...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:46 AM   #16
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
The media does this for special runs as well, so it isn't just foamers...
As was the case here. The CP guys were really great, kept people off of the tracks and were really nice. All they asked was people cross the tracks only at the crossings and not to stand between any of the tracks. Well, I positioned myself away from the crowd to get an unobstructed shot of the train. As the train rolled up, a news shooter walked directly across the mainline and opened up his tripod. Luckily the train stopped short of the crossing for the crew to walk it across and I was able to get this shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9245096@N06/1211124435

Last edited by Christopher Muller; 02-02-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
Joe the Photog

Personally, I hate shooting near railroad tracks with other news photogs who aren't railfans or at lest rail-savvy. Our job is to get the best shot. We sometimes pit ourselve in danger to do this fully realizinf the potential. We set up cameras in roads to shoot an accident scene. We try to get as close to fire scenes as we can to get that popping sound. So they are just doing what they are trained to do. This doesn't make it right, just as an explanation.

That's why I like yellow tape. Automatically you know where to go and where not to go.

One time I was shooting a strike. The workers were on the other side of the road from their company. We had got a tip this woujld happen and at the time, we were the only news crew on the scene. So I've got the camera on my shoulder, my head in the view finder and am shooting.

Suddenly, two things happened very quickly. My reporter grabbed me by the arm and yanked me into the crowd and an 18 wheeler flew past us in nearly the same spot I had just been standing in. So I almost became the moron who stood in the road and got hit by a truck.

Last week, I was stading on the curb of a road shooting a house where a woman had called the police on her boyfriend. The boyfriend was handcuffed and put in the bck of a sheriff's car and the door was then closed. Somehow, and they still don't know how, he got out and escaped.

So I was sent to shoot the scene. About ten minutes after I had been there with the reporter having gone to the door once, a dude comes out of the side door and tells us to leave. Mind you, we're in the road. The reporter says, "I'm sorry, but as long as we're on a public road, we cn shoot your house."

Dude starts cussing and threatens to come over to where I am and break my camera. He then threatens to "turn the dogs loose on us." Every backyard in the neighborhood had at least one pit bull on chains. We got a few more shots and then left. The confrontation is now on our blooper tape.

Joe
Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I'm gonna say roughly equal blame, with it edging a little toward the railfan. Since it is a tourist operation, the conductors should be used to having to keep people off the tracks. Honestly, I'm surprised that they didn't tell him to move onto the platform. However, the guy is stupid for being that close in the first place.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
MacTown

Well something like that happened yesteday where I live. We had a nasty winter storm go through, for some reason a 23 year old women stepped onto the tracks and was hit by a UP train going 55 mph, obviously she was killed, thats something that doesnt happen in a small town like mine, i'm glad I didnt go out yesterday to get winter pictures because the spot where I was going to sit wouldve given me a perfect view of it happening.
MacTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #20
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

My profession may have made me cold in this sense, but medic_pilot may agree with me. Just about every high school in America has the mock accidents the week before Prom, and show the Crash Dummy videos in Driver's Ed. What good do those do? They need to show the real stuff and scare the shit out of these kids, just not fake them over with moulage and make up. I am very glad you did not go out yesterday, as it would have been as devistating on you to witness as it was for the crew involved, but those would be the pictures to show at Operation Lifesaver presentations, and post on all of these railfan forums to scare the shit out of these gate racers and "extreme" railfans IMHO.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #21
MacTown

I just got some bad news, I knew her, she is one of my best friend's sister, i've been around her many times, just as recently as last month , I'm heading to her brothers house to see how he's dealing with it, guess i'll be attending a funeral in the next couple days. She's had mental issues in the past my friends and I pretty much think it was a suicide, its just sad she had to do this especially for the crew members and what they had to see.

Last edited by MacTown; 02-07-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #22
JRMDC

Sorry that you lost a friend. Best wishes to the family.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #23
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Mac,

Please don't take my previous post as personal toward your friend or even if it would have been an unknown person. It was just a general gripe that I have had for along time, and you saying you're glad that you didn't go out and shoot just opened a place for me to vent my opinion.

You and your friend's family also have my sypathy .
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #24
MacTown

Not a problem EMT I didnt take it that way, I didnt mention it being a suicide in the first post so I can see where you would think it was a careless idiot, I would think the same thing, from that video on this thread we know they are out there.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 AM   #25
30db+

Well i have been a railroader with CPR in Canada now for 28 years and a hogger for 20.My first question is why all the trespassers all over the tracks like sheep!!! That Conductor wasnt doing his job at all,even if he didnt have a radio(which he better) he was in view of the hogger for hand signals??? Or maybe that guy stole his wife while he was out on when of those looooong runs!!
30db+ is offline   Reply With Quote