Old 11-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default Thoughts on Rejection

Just wondering what others thoughts are. I thought this was a pretty unique shot and opportunity that can not be had by non-employees, but both were rejected for distracting shadows. Not really anything that can be done about that do to the nature of the location, but it was not something that I thought impacted the overall image.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...38&key=7823403

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...05&key=5758002
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
JRMDC

I suspect they are simply too abstract, and not in a good way, for RP. Neither shot has an obvious focal point. They are both jumbles. The shadow may be the first thing that the (rushed, as always) screener clicked on, but one could click on other things. Hard to get over a specific technical deficiency when there isn't some other dimension, compositional, interesting light, etc., to carry the day.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
Joseph Cermak

Well yeah they are intended to be more abstract that a roster shot. I think the "other dimension" you speak of would be the unique and rare subject.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Decapod401

The second image is an obvious shadow rejection, but the first may be salvageable. Compositionally, it may have been a littlie less abstract had you shot from the end of the string; nonetheless, I still like it.

If I recall, you process in LR (as do I). Try dropping the white level, and maybe the highlights as well. Increase the shadows level, then bump up the contrast to counteract the resultant flatness. Properly done, this technique should minimize the differences between the lit locomotives and the shadowed flat cars.

Last edited by Decapod401; 11-22-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Joseph Cermak

I'll give that a try. I would have liked to shoot from the end of the string, but there were so many locomotives they wouldn't all fit on the siding so the end of the string was under a bridge, and I didn't like the shadows that led, which were much worse than anything here.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
The second image is an obvious shadow rejection, but the second may be salvageable. Compositionally, it may have been a littlie less abstract had you shot from the end of the string; nonetheless, I still like it.
You said second image for both comments. Could you please clarify? thanks.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Well yeah they are intended to be more abstract that a roster shot. I think the "other dimension" you speak of would be the unique and rare subject.
Well, the line between abstract and formless entity can be narrow. And that "other dimension" is just a tight angle on a row of trucks, really. Eye of the beholder.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
Decapod401

Quote:
You said second image for both comments. Could you please clarify? thanks.
See my edited comment.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
RobJor

Putting aside the shadow for a moment, I like number 2. The foreground is in focus, I can read some of the decal. , #1 not. #2 has lots of pop, foreground is in the sun. Number 1 is dull and foreground is in shadow. To me the whole point of late light is the light?

I don't if you submitted these together but generally I only put one in at a time of the same thing? Not sure if the first rejection could affect the second??As a viewer, one thing I dislike is seeing multiple very similar images.

Anyway, probably will not help with the shadow rejection except that usually after I say something the opposite happens.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Joseph Cermak

Tried a different shot, rejected for too tight. I'm confused....if anything I thought it might be too loose as submitted...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...04&key=6565463
Old 11-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
Mberry

Quote:
Tried a different shot, rejected for too tight. I'm confused....if anything I thought it might be too loose as submitted...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...04&key=6565463
I'm guessing the rejection is due to the 'train' being cut off at left.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
RobJor

Yea, that kind of rejection drives me ????? No room for this and yet we can see endless versions of the same thing lately.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
I'm guessing the rejection is due to the 'train' being cut off at left.
I agree. Recropping will result in a shadows rejection. I would leave this one go.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #14
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Yea, that kind of rejection drives me ????? No room for this and yet we can see endless versions of the same thing lately.
Maybe it's just me but they seem to want nothing to do with these locomotives. idk but I thought this was much more interesting than endless gevo wedges. I know that there are some shadows but for a shot that can only be taken by an employee before the cars are pulled from the plant and buried in the CSX yard I figured they were still good shots.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
SAR Connecta

Joseph, for what its worth I really like your photo and I have to admit that if it was mine I would have probably gone with an even tighter crop. As for the shadows below, I enjoyed those too and feel they offered up some sort of framing opportunity at the lower left of the frame. What does not work today may very well work tomorrow, so don't give up on it just yet.

PS - how does one attach an image file to a forum message off one's hard drive?

Last edited by SAR Connecta; 11-23-2016 at 05:23 PM.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
Joseph, for what its worth I really like your photo and I have to admit that if it was mine I would have probably gone with an even tighter crop. As for the shadows below, I enjoyed those too and feel they offered up some sort of framing. What does not work today may very well work tomorrow, so don't give up on it just yet.

PS - how does one attach an image file to a forum message off one's hard drive?
Thanks, I agree I really thought the crop was too loose if anything.

To attach a file you need to use the "go advanced" option and click "manage attachments" under the additional options section below the text box.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #17
Decapod401

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but they seem to want nothing to do with these locomotives. idk but I thought this was much more interesting than endless gevo wedges.
I agree that the subject material is more interesting.

Quote:
.....a shot that can only be taken by an employee before the cars are pulled from the plant and buried in the CSX yard ...
What in any of these three photos tells a viewer that? There are no discerning features that concretely identify the location. These shots could be duplicated on any double track line between the factory and the port of embarkation.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #18
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
What in any of these three photos tells a viewer that? There are no discerning features that concretely identify the location. These shots could be duplicated on any double track line between the factory and the port of embarkation.
Well that would be highly unlikely unless you catch them on a moving train. They are required to be buried in yards if they are stored for security purposes if being stopped during shipment. It's also stated in the location and description that these are from the interchange track between CSX and GE. Even if these photos don't explicitly state it, I don't believe that there are any other shots of these units from some other location. If it was so easily duplicated wouldn't you think there'd be some?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #19
SAR Connecta

My version of a crop for your photo Joseph - reduce the repetition of the "train", which does taper off into the shadows (on the left) and place more emphasis on the first well lit new loco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	812.3 KB
ID:	9297  

Last edited by SAR Connecta; 11-23-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #20
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
My version of a crop for your photo Joseph - reduce the repetition of the "train", which does taper off into the shadows and place more emphasis on the first well lit new loco.
yeah I was thinking something along those lines as well, probably will wait a few days before resubmitting though.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
Decapod401

Quote:
Well that would be highly unlikely unless you catch them on a moving train. They are required to be buried in yards if they are stored for security purposes if being stopped during shipment. It's also stated in the location and description that these are from the interchange track between CSX and GE. Even if these photos don't explicitly state it, I don't believe that there are any other shots of these units from some other location. If it was so easily duplicated wouldn't you think there'd be some?
You're missing my point. The screeners don't care about any of these things. Just by viewing the image, there is no context to identify this as a unique location, which is what you think should mitigate other issues with the image. Also, with the number of foamers out there, don't kid yourself into thinking that no one else recorded these units somewhere out on the line. They just may not show up on RP.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
You're missing my point. The screeners don't care about any of these things. Just by viewing the image, there is no context to identify this as a unique location, which is what you think should mitigate other issues with the image. Also, with the number of foamers out there, don't kid yourself into thinking that no one else recorded these units somewhere out on the line. They just may not show up on RP.
Yeah I didn't mean that no one could have taken a picture, but I haven't seen anything on RP. I also wasn't saying the location was the unique aspect, more so the subject of 15 brand new non-north american locomotives on top of 8 axle flatcars. If that's not unique, then I really don't know what is. \_(ツ)_/

It's certainly as unique as any wreck shot that gets on, if not more so.

Last edited by Joseph Cermak; 11-23-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but they seem to want nothing to do with these locomotives. idk but I thought this was much more interesting than endless gevo wedges. I know that there are some shadows but for a shot that can only be taken by an employee before the cars are pulled from the plant and buried in the CSX yard I figured they were still good shots.
I think they'd like to see them in a much more visible angle.

Image © James Kerr
PhotoID: 349791
Photograph © James Kerr

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #24
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I think they'd like to see them in a much more visible angle.

Image © James Kerr
PhotoID: 349791
Photograph © James Kerr
Some useless information a month later (28th January 2011) these two locomotives had already arrived in Durban, South Africa and were on their way (dead hauled) to Koedoespoort in Pretoria to begin testing. I followed them out of Durban, KwaZulu Natal, but the weather was awful and then they seemed to vanish for a while. Tracing back on the line they were supposed to be on I eventually found them standing at a red signal following a CTC problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43-002 5SARI.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	9298  

Last edited by SAR Connecta; 11-24-2016 at 12:10 PM.