Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Chrisssssssss

Question Ask first, submit later...

Well,

I think that I will try it this way since I only have 2 UL's a day and I think it would better my chances and lower the frustration and disappointment levels if I ask opinions first, then attempt to submit for screening.

Here's my candidates:

First pic -

Second pic - Different angle of the first pic...

Both were processed with a bunch of new photoshop plugs, and I am seeking out opinions of which would be the best shot to submit - or both and opinions on processing.

Next I have a completely different shot that I would like an opinion on to fill the second slot, if thoughts are to not submit both of the first two pics because of their similarity.

Third pic:

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheers
Chris
Chrisssssssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
cblaz

First pic - Cloudy and foreground clutter. If the train is stopped, it would have only taken a few seconds to clear out those weeds in front of the plow.

Second pic - The best of the three. However, it's still cloudy, and you will def. have to make it clear that the train was stopped, as it looks as though you were trespassing to get so close.

Third pic - Nice location and idea, but you cut the front of the train off and it's backlit. Check out the shadows. A side angle off the bridge probably would have worked out better at that time.

- Chris
Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

I also want to note that all three images look overexposed to me (or at least like they highlights are blown out, which could happend if the original is over exposed and you compensated in Photoshop on a JPEG).

Check your camera settings... you may want to force underexpose by a 1/3rd stop.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Chrisssssssss

OK,

I got a new monitor hooked up to my computer, and already makes a big difference on what my pics like overall. My other monitor was washed out and dark compared to the one that I have now. I will rework those other pics with a new monitor and a new plug-in that I got that I think works the best yet.

While I do, tell me what these look like. I have these first two that I reworked with this new polug in and monitor. Tell me what your thoughts are about these.

First one: The one that was rejected at first working on my old monitor and with old processes. Yuck!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=501828089

Here is the first rework with the new monitor and plug in:

Here is one step further with a bit more color:

Which one works best? More or less color boost?

Thanks for the opinions!

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

I like the second one, but I see grain in the sky.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
Ween

Much better; the first one looks better to me. The red on the second looks too red (and the sky is venturing on Joe Blue territory, not to mention the noise).

Still though, it would probably get dinged for not enough nose light. Also, it looks like you might have been trespassing to get that shot. If it's obvious like that, the screeners will reject it...

EDIT: Of course Joe Blue would like the one with the bluer sky, ha ha ha!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Chrisssssssss

One more: same process as the second more color boost. Different angle - close up of the engines...

Which is the better angle? What does Railphotos usually do with images like this? Should I submit them both, or just one since they are basically the same train? I like them both actually, but for different reasons as they are really very different photos.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #8
Ween

What is that second unit? When did CP get green Geeps?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
Chrisssssssss

Ok, I will maybe turn down the boost of color and do an inbetween shot and maybe do some ge-graining of the photo to get rid of the sky graininess.

As for the trespassing issue, The train is parked right nest to a crossing and I am standing right nest to the trespassing sign. I would never go beyond those boundaries without permission. I am careful that way. I worked in that area all the time and was always out there taking pictures in my company car when on my breaks or between calls. I have got to know most of them by name and they knew what I was up to and didn't mind my presence and always asked before I go anywhere beyond what is publicly allowed. I will mention this to the screeners when I submit them.

Will post again when I am done with the in-between shot.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #10
Chrisssssssss

As for the green geep... I only saw that one a couple of times a few years ago and NEVER saw that color scheme before. I believe both these units have since been repainted to the most current CP colors.

Although this is a badly backlit photo, it is the only other one that I can find in my collection at the moment that shows a closeup of the CP green geep. I am not submitting this one though.

A quick google search:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=292145

and

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=444205

just FYI.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chrisssssssss; 09-14-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: added links
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
What is that second unit? When did CP get green Geeps?
They were for the E&N, the Vancouver Island railway owned by CP. Don't know how long they lasted being dedicated there, but they started their life as CP, were repainted in the 70s, and ended up back in CP paint this decade sometime. I don't remember how many there are, either....
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisssssssss View Post
Here is the first rework with the new monitor and plug in:
This one looks correct.

Quote:
Here is one step further with a bit more color:
This looks too juiced. As already mentioned, the grain in the sky, but also take a look at how bad the windshield looks.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
They were for the E&N, the Vancouver Island railway owned by CP. Don't know how long they lasted being dedicated there, but they started their life as CP, were repainted in the 70s, and ended up back in CP paint this decade sometime. I don't remember how many there are, either....
IIRC, 3005 was painted green in the (late) 1990's and is still in the green, however re-lettered for CP. E&N was an internal shortline mich like the Kawartha Lakes Railway, however the E&N failed in that attempt to save whereas the KLR still has health traffic. Too bad the KLR didn't get a unit lettered for them.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote