Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 AM   #1
Tennispro4ever

Default First time night shot along with a long exposure

Here ya go. I'm really new at photography and am just now putting my camera in full Manual and here is my first night shot with a long exposure and a flash. What do ya guys think? P.s. the car is the only way to keep the image not blurred due to not having a tripod yet. Any pointers or ideas on ways to work with these types of shots?

Edit: here is this cropped one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00019 lol.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	3944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00019 edit.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	3945  

Last edited by Tennispro4ever; 03-18-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Tennispro4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennispro4ever View Post
P.s. the car is the only way to keep the image not blurred due to not having a tripod yet. Any pointers or ideas on ways to work with these types of shots?
If you can't afford a tripod but have a surface upon which to place your camera -- such as your car -- a bean bag or sweater will go a long way towards allowing you to position and aim your camera without including the supporting surface in the image.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Dennis A. Livesey

That shot is jus' CRAZY!
I kinda like it. Great try.
The car roof makes for that crazy look that I think on a regular photo site you'd get some traction.
But for here at RP, get the most solid tripod you can afford, fire the flash when the cab is not cut off, and you should have a winner.
There is debate that using flash is dangerous to the train crew, so keep that in mind.
Good Luck!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
Tennispro4ever

ok cool cool thanks I will try that. I do have a question though, does it matter what kind of tripod or anything like that, I just got my first SLR. It's a nikon D40 and I'm really really new to photography so any help or pointers would be very helpful. I am thinking of either ebay or walmart?
Tennispro4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
DWHonan

Quote:
ok cool cool thanks I will try that. I do have a question though, does it matter what kind of tripod or anything like that, I just got my first SLR. It's a nikon D40 and I'm really really new to photography so any help or pointers would be very helpful. I am thinking of either ebay or walmart?
I strongly recommend getting something by Manfrotto. Not cheap, but they're stable and will last forever. B&H has a wide selection to browse through; I'd recommend this tripod/head kit:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
I strongly recommend getting something by Manfrotto. Not cheap, but they're stable and will last forever. B&H has a wide selection to browse through; I'd recommend this tripod/head kit:
That's the one I've got too.
Go check out tripods in a store. What you are looking for are legs that don't bend or wobble. I read of people happy with their $35 Walmart. I have a $60? Velbon for my video. It's cheap, aluminum, plastic, slightly broken. But I'm a very happy man with it for ten years because the fluid head is smooth, the legs don't bend or wobble and it's light. However, it's for MOVING images.
For long exposure STILL shots, you need the solid, heavier, more expensive tripod eventually.
I have my solid old Tilt-all for back up. I don't use it much now since the Bogen is easier to set up. Still, on eBay you might find one cheap.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Tennispro4ever

ok thanks you all very much. I will hopefully go out tomorrow and do some more pictures (i actually have a day off) and will get a tripod and try it out. ok heres the next question lol. I have been trying to make a link in my signature to my pictures how do i do that. I made one up but i dont think i did it right. here it is.

Click Here for more Pictures
Old 03-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
lock4244

Quote:
I second that recommendation. I just picked up a Manfrotto 725 with the ball head. It's a small, light tripod that'll fit in the suitcase and not weigh me down when travelling (esp. by air). It's supposed to be for a little point and shoot camera, but is more than adequate to support my DSLR, Grip, and my biggest lens (an old 300mm), so you have to take their ratings with a grain of salt.

The ball head it fantastic... super easy to use, smooth movement, and it really makes it easy to get the camera level. Much better that those cheap heads, and the whole thig is rock solid. My first use was on a very windy day with perfect results. Manfrotto is worth the $$$.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
TAMR159

Add me to the supporters of Manfrotto. I purchased a similar kit from B&H, though with different legs (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html). I was able to really test it for it's intended use last night, and it worked flawlessly. It's a rock solid tripod, not overly heavy, taller than many tripods (I'm 5' 10" and the camera is right at eye level with the legs fully extended and without the center piece being cranked up at all). The ball head provides enormous flexibility for angles, yet it is rock solid even with a 40D and 24-70 F/2.8L (neither are compact or very light). The setup was solid enough that I was able to get crisp shots with absolutely no camera movement in spite of a wind and not yet having a remote shutter release (I didn't shoot with the timer either - I just hit the shutter release on the camera, and the thing didn't move at all - it felt like I was pushing down on a boulder on the ground). Slighty cheaper than the one Dave recommended, and it supports more weight.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #10
Tennispro4ever

thank you very much for all of your help. I will be buying a tripod in the very near future. I am experimenting with the Nikon D40 in full manual mode. What are some new things I should try when it comes railroad photography?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Do you mean for daylight or night photography? During the day, I usually shoot F7.1, 1/320 to 1/500 on the shudder, and ISO 100. During the night, I usually keep it at F8.0 and depending on the ambient light, I'll adjust my exposure.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
What are some new things I should try when it comes railroad photography?
With night shots the tripod cant move, shake or wobble so get a better one and you can hang something off the center post to steady it down too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
Mark Bau

Quote:
Agree 100%, I've had a Manfrotto for about 20 years and its been through the wars and is still going strong. Might help to go to a photo store so you can actually get your hands on a few different models so you can see how much they weigh and how small they fold up. You want a heavyish one but you have to balance that with one that you might want to carry a fair distance as you hike into an "off the road" location.

BTW, I love your shot, a great effort, keep at it.
Mark Bau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
mfr204

Hello, I also discovered the top of my car the first time I tried shooting at night with my new DSLR. I didn't have time for the tripod because the train was coming. I threw a wadded up towel on top and started shooting. Didn't realize until looking at them on the computer that I got the top of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_0094.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	3978  
mfr204 is offline   Reply With Quote