Old 08-17-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
RCH022

Send a message via AIM to RCH022
Default high sun angle in non-summer months???

I'm an idiot and cant remember lol if there is a high sun angle in non-summer months. Or is it just a shorter time for a high sun angle during the day. Any answers will help -thanks,Ryan
RCH022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

I normally avoided about 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the winter, as things did not turn out too optimally, but this really depends on where you live, too, especially in the winter.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Ween

It depends on where you are: higher latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere will have less 'high sun angles' all year long than someplace from the lower latitudes. It all has to do with the tilt of the earth's axis.

In the summer, Anchorage, AK is in daylight almost 24 hrs a day, but the sun never gets as high in the sky on the same day as it does in Phoenix, AZ.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 AM   #4
jweber33

In L.A., avoid as much as you can from 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., 365 days a year. If there is any smog or high clouds, don't bother.
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
RCH022

Send a message via AIM to RCH022

I'm in PA so do any of you know what times year round or in what specific seasons is best to shoot w/out the high sun problem? -Ryan
RCH022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #6
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

Were pictures rejected last year for high sun angle or is it just this year? I think high sun is year round, although worse in the summer, but this spring/summer is when railpics screeners really started cracking down on this problem. I'm guessing a lot of people are thinking that excuse will go away soon but it might not. A lot of winter shots even were ruined by high sun in mid-day. We'll see what happens.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnscalerailfan
I think high sun is year round, although worse in the summer, but this spring/summer is when railpics screeners really started cracking down on this problem. A lot of winter shots even were ruined by high sun in mid-day. We'll see what happens.

There is high sun in the winter, and then obviously, it is worse in the summer. It all depends at which latitude you live as to how it affects you. I believe they will continue to reject for high sun, as they should, you just will not see as many in the winter, because the time duration of unfavorable sun is shorter. As I mentioned above, between about 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. in the winter is when I threw in the towel, and that is in St. Louis. I sit somewhere right around 38 30' N.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

It probably shouldn't be too bad in the Northeast. I am looking at some pics I took in March of a train that runs right around noon and they look fine. I think the angle is only bad from around 12-12:30 to about 1-1:30 in MD and PA and such. And during that time the lighting isn't as harsh as summer so shots from bridges or superelevated curves would work. If not that's a pretty comfortable time to take a lunch break... So things work out nevertheless.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #9
ssw9662

Besides, traffic lulls are usually around lunch anyway.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
Besides, traffic lulls are usually around lunch anyway.
I wish it worked that way here. The busiest UP line around here seems to die off in the evening when the light is good.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:04 AM   #11
Wyn

The relative latitude of the Sun fluctuates between about 23 degrees north and 23 degrees south so it will never be directly over head in the continental United States. During the summer months it's in the 23 degrees north range, so the further north in the states you are, the less the sun will be "overhead". The further south you are, the more the sun will be "overhead".
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
The relative latitude of the Sun fluctuates between about 23 degrees north and 23 degrees south so it will never be directly over head in the continental United States. During the summer months it's in the 23 degrees north range, so the further north in the states you are, the less the sun will be "overhead". The further south you are, the more the sun will be "overhead".
Huh?

Anyways, why don't we start a high sun protest? I have submitted some great shots that were rejected for high sun. It's too bad because these shots have slightly dark trucks, big deal. I just think a lot of good shots are going by the wayside because of this rule.
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #13
Ween

Quote:
Anyways, why don't we start a high sun protest?
Because that would accomplish nothing. People will still continue to submit photos and this site will keep churning forward with or without the protestors.

High sun casts bad light period. It doesn't make a difference if you're shooting trains or flowers, the light is less than ideal.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan
Anyways, why don't we start a high sun protest?
Go right ahead, but it's been mentioned before that it will get you nowhere. I don't know about the others, but I'll just sit back and laugh at the high sun protest (it's just another thing people can whine about). If I were you, I'd worry about more important things...like low batteries in the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
High sun casts bad light period. It doesn't make a difference if you're shooting trains or flowers, the light is less than ideal.
Exactly. Nobody's telling you not to shoot in the high sun (I usually don't shoot in high sun because the light sucks), but the chances of said photographs being accepted here are slim to none. There's no way around it, so just grin and bear it. It ain't the end of the world.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
trainmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
Exactly. Nobody's telling you not to shoot in the high sun (I usually don't shoot in high sun because the light sucks), but the chances of said photographs being accepted here are slim to none. There's no way around it, so just grin and bear it. It ain't the end of the world.
Well, I shoot anyway... if I shot only in perfect light, I wouldn't have much of an archive, especially in Pa.

Ansel Adams came up with a good one: "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."

Rich
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #16
jweber33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmonster
Well, I shoot anyway... if I shot only in perfect light, I wouldn't have much of an archive
Exactly. And Dave, you don't have to listen to people who live farther north than we do.
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:46 PM   #17
ddavies

And the NS B-line in Northern Virginia sees the most traffic ... about noon
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote