Old 08-14-2005, 02:51 AM   #1
mbates

Default Similar to Previous Photo

This has got to be the most frustrating rejection reason there is.
The reason it's so frustrating is that is being applied at random.

Some people can post the same thing over and over and others are
being "handcuffed" with rejection after rejection, not because they
had a bad picture, but simply because it has been deemed "Similar to Previous Photo".

The worst part is when you're given one reason why the the picture was rejected, you turn around and fix it, resubmit and then comes the almighty
"Similar to Previous Photo". If you dare to send it in again you're guaranteed to get the "uncorrected re-upload" rejection.

If you're out there railfanning, there is no way to avoid getting photos that are similar to each other. After all that is what makes this website so good!
There is a lot to see and "roster shots" are just as important as all the others.

Let's not limit the people providing the pictures with the "Similar to Previous Photo" rejection.

If it's a crappy picture of the same road number over and over , I agree,
but otherwise it's a lame excuse.

Comments welcome ... MB

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7338

MB
mbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:13 AM   #2
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

Mike,

I screened most of those this evening, and offer this, for what its worth.

You had some great scenic shots, including the UP MOPAC heritage unit, but all of the roster shots do look the same, even with different engines. Now, there is nothing wrong with roster shots but try to limit the number you upload at one time. True, those of us who do go out and shoot together tend to wind up with shots close to each other, but in most cases those shots are uploaded at different times (sometimes weeks apart) to keep the database from being clogged with simular images (at least close together) I shoot a LOT of roster shots every time I go out, but only a select few are uploaded, and I try to spread them out, and I try to only put up the best ones. . No one is being "handcuffed" that I can see.

As for the dreaded "re-upload", there where a few that I could not tell that had been worked on. Some folks will offer a little note (that will be removed) in the caption when they have tried to correct a image. As always, if you dont agree with a screeners judgement, you have the right to appeal.

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:47 AM   #3
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

Roster shots are sometimes a tough call. In my case, unless they are of a rare subject or in absolutely perfect light and situation, I tend to reject them. To put it simply: roster photography is completely uninspired and requires no imagination. This is more of a photography website than an online edition of Extra 2200 South. Now I know I'm opening up a can of philosophical worms, but this has been discussed before so please look back in the archives to read the viewpoints on the matter so we don't start a "hole with no bottom" thread. Thanks and have a good weekend.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates
This has got to be the most frustrating rejection reason there is. The reason it's so frustrating is that is being applied at random.
I dunno about that now. Bad motive and bad angle seem to be right up there too.

Quote:
Some people can post the same thing over and over and others are
being "handcuffed" with rejection after rejection, not because they
had a bad picture, but simply because it has been deemed "Similar to Previous Photo".
The only time one is handcuffed like this is if they're shooting for the sole purpose of having their pictures on RP.net .

Quote:
The worst part is when you're given one reason why the the picture was rejected, you turn around and fix it, resubmit and then comes the almighty
"Similar to Previous Photo".
Of course, by the time the photo is fixed and another shot close to the one in question is uploaded, it has that chance of being similar. I've never had this problem.

Quote:
If you dare to send it in again you're guaranteed to get the "uncorrected re-upload" rejection.
Yeah, that's frowned upon here.

Quote:
If you're out there railfanning, there is no way to avoid getting photos that are similar to each other.
There is a way to avoid similar shots: Get out of the photo line.

Quote:
Let's not limit the people providing the pictures with the "Similar to Previous Photo" rejection.
Why not? I personally wouldn't want to see photos with the same angle of the same locomotive by 10 different photographers all at once. It would get really old really quick.

Quote:
If it's a crappy picture of the same road number over and over , I agree, but otherwise it's a lame excuse.
So it's OK to reject crappy photos of the same road number with the reason in question? If none of those were accepted, then how could they be similar? Technically, they wouldn't be similar to previous accepted photo. Really, the only time and place a rejection reason can be considered "lame" is in the photographer's mind.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:59 AM   #5
mbates

Default Two different reasons ???

I guess the part that got me so ticked was that at first the rejection was given as "poor cropping".

That's a legitimate rejection reason and can possibly be fixed. That's what I did. I fixed the cropping and it still got rejected, this time for being similar to previous.

My point is that it should have been "similar to previous" to start with.

Now that I understand that there is a limit as to how many pictures of one type I can upload at at time, I'll "un-cuff" myself by spreading out the roster shots.

If "Similar to Previous Photo" is simply a "speed break" or "rostershot overload prevention device", I'm OK with that.

I didn't even upload all of what I got today because I "pre-screened" myself.

As long as the legitimate photos are not randomly being shot down.

It wasn't the MOPAC ones that got me going ... it was the "N th" rejected
GE unit ... anyway, thanks for the info and I'm getting off my soap box now

MB
Old 08-14-2005, 04:17 AM   #6
mbates

Default For cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon

All bad motive means is:" Hey I don't like your picture".

The only time one is handcuffed like this is if they're shooting for the sole purpose of having their pictures on RP.net .

I took good pictures long before RP.NET

Of course, by the time the photo is fixed and another shot close to the one in question is uploaded, it has that chance of being similar. I've never had this problem.

I'm not surprised ... you're a screener.

Yeah, that's frowned upon here.

I agree with that if it is really an "uncorrected re-upload".

There is a way to avoid similar shots: Get out of the photo line.

I mostly got out solo to get pictures.

Why not? I personally wouldn't want to see photos with the same angle of the same locomotive by 10 different photographers all at once. It would get really old really quick.

For model railroaders it is a great tool to be able to pull up a certain road #
and get more than just 2-3 pictures of it. You can do that on RP.net.

My point was : "quit rejecting good pictures just because they are the same type locomotive in the same paint".

So it's OK to reject crappy photos of the same road number with the reason in question? If none of those were accepted, then how could they be similar? Technically, they wouldn't be similar to previous accepted photo. Really, the only time and place a rejection reason can be considered "lame" is in the photographer's mind.
Anyway, I got the answers I was looking for ...

MB
Old 08-14-2005, 04:24 AM   #7
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

Mike Bates siad "I'm not surprised ... you're a screener. "

Incorrect....Mr Herndon is not a screener. Screeners and the Admin can be easily identified by the "Railpictures.net crew" under their name on the forums..

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
jweber33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
What about the mid-day rejection option? That 'handcuffs' many of us from 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Last edited by jweber33; 08-14-2005 at 04:33 AM. Reason: reworded
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #9
mbates

Default So I was wrong about the screener part

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M. Bell
Mike Bates siad "I'm not surprised ... you're a screener. "

Incorrect....Mr Herndon is not a screener. Screeners and the Admin can be easily identified by the "Railpictures.net crew" under their name on the forums..
It still doesn't change the rest ...

MB
Old 08-14-2005, 04:41 AM   #10
mbates

Default Beating a dead horse now ...

All this "quote" stuff is silly ... I know what I typed.

Opening a can of worms is one thing ... kicking a bee hive is quite another.

I got the answers I was looking for from E.M.Bell.

Thanks and good night

P.S. "Long live the Rostershot Wedgie"

MB

Last edited by mbates; 08-14-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #11
Wade H. Massie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweber33
What about the mid-day rejection option? That 'handcuffs' many of us from 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
Avoiding mid-day summer sun is solid advice, something that I've tried to practice for many years now. The difference in lighting quality at noon compared to 7PM is huge - early AM and late PM lighting can make anything look good, even an NS Dash 9!

-Wade

www.WadesImages.com
Wade H. Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
mbates

Default Mid day sun

Avoiding the mid day sun is sound advice for all photographers.

The reason I started this thread has nothing to do with poor lighting or too much sun.

The rejection reason given was : "similar to previous"

It was about good pictures being rejected because there were "too many" of them in a day.

Mr. Bell has cleared that up though.

MB
Old 08-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
trainmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. E. Landrum
Roster shots are sometimes a tough call. In my case, unless they are of a rare subject or in absolutely perfect light and situation, I tend to reject them.

Good luck with that in the Northeast! I think that they think we all live in California.

Rich

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." [Salvador Dali]
Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #14
Ween

Quote:
Some folks will offer a little note (that will be removed) in the caption when they have tried to correct a image.
This is really good info to know, especially for those of us who re-upload after an image has been tweaked after a rejection. I know that it frustrates screeners when people re-upload the same shot w/o modification, but now the screeners have let it be known how to inform them you've tweaked an image and that they are not looking at an unmodified re-upload. Good info for all concerned.

Quote:
To put it simply: roster photography is completely uninspired and requires no imagination. This is more of a photography website than an online edition of Extra 2200 South.
Since no one else bit, I'll take the bullet: I thought the focus of this website was railroad and railroad-related photography first and foremost. This is taken from the -Our Mission- statement on the homepage:

Quote:
Additionally, we endeavor to maintain a database of the highest quality railroad photography on the web, for viewers from all around the world. Our photo acceptance standards are high -- and necessarily so -- in an attempt to maintain the level of quality RailPictures.Net has become known for.
I read 'highest quality railroad photography,' and to me, that includes roster shots, even if they can sometimes be boring. I see nothing in the mission statement saying that photos accepted into the database must be completely inspired and require imagination. I'm sure some users (especially modelers) appreciate the detail shown in a roster that cannot be shown when the subject is far away and more of the landscape is featured.

For me, this website is about railroads and railroad photography, not the technicalities and nuances of the art of photography. In other words, you don't have to be a photographic expert to submit your stuff here. It doesn't have to be 'inspired' or necessarily 'imaginitive.' It's not simply about photography in my mind...it should be about railroads.

There, I've taken the bullet right between the eyes on this issue...I can only hope that Mr. Landrum isn't the one screening my photos when I uplaod them later!!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #15
jweber33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmonster
Good luck with that in the Northeast! I think that they think we all live in California.

Rich

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." [Salvador Dali]
You got it all wrong. We don't have perfect light. We have June Gloom, smog, haze, and tule fog.
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote