Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool Most processed image

In another thread about raw processing a comment was made that an image was "the most edited photo on railpictures!" Well, that might well be true for a digital raw original, but in terms of digitized film I would nominate this as perhaps the most processed image on Railpix:

Image © John West
PhotoID: 145040
Photograph © John West

Here is what it looked like before I (and several others) worked it over:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drgw2westfmantonito (1).jpg (23.7 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by John West; 11-01-2011 at 04:59 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
JRMDC

Great to see you back on the forum, John!

One thing I notice, probably very cheeky to point it out now, the work was all done over 5 years ago, is that there is a lot of pebbling/grain in the sky. Especially above the tender and boxcar, and also to the left of the plume on the right, at the area where white changes to dark. That is something that always catches my eye. I would apply some noise reduction or, probably, Gaussian blur, to get rid of that. It is interesting that it appears to be an effect of processing in that it does not appear in the original.

I get that sort of pebbling frequently on slides and I like to smooth it out. One thing about a sky, even a cloudy sky, is that it tolerates gaussian blur well, because there are no crisp details that get wiped out, at least not obviously so. One does have to select around wires and such.

Cool to see what can be done with an old slide.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
JRMDC

As for the question of what is the most processed image on RP, let the debate begin! I have no particular opinion but I know people will be chiming in. Can anyone say "candyland"?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Great to see you back on the forum, John!

One thing I notice, probably very cheeky to point it out now, the work was all done over 5 years ago, is that there is a lot of pebbling/grain in the sky. Especially above the tender and boxcar, and also to the left of the plume on the right, at the area where white changes to dark. That is something that always catches my eye. I would apply some noise reduction or, probably, Gaussian blur, to get rid of that. It is interesting that it appears to be an effect of processing in that it does not appear in the original.

I get that sort of pebbling frequently on slides and I like to smooth it out. One thing about a sky, even a cloudy sky, is that it tolerates gaussian blur well, because there are no crisp details that get wiped out, at least not obviously so. One does have to select around wires and such.

Cool to see what can be done with an old slide.

J
It is interesting and sometimes a bit discouraging to go back and review the processing that I did way back when. The tools have improved and perhaps even my skill level has improved a bit. I now know how to do a lot more selective processing. Occasionally I get out an "oldie but goodie" and start all over again, but the sheer volume is daunting. So most of the sleeping dogs I just let lie. I suspect a lot of the stuff that got accepted on Railpix in the bad old days wouldn't make the cut anymore. And I don't have to worry about that issue on my own website. Cheers.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
As for the question of what is the most processed image on RP, let the debate begin! I have no particular opinion but I know people will be chiming in. Can anyone say "candyland"?
Define processing as it relates to the topic. It's much easier to overkill the saturation, and shadows / highlights, then to say... photoshop engines to be clean, remove wires, trees, people, change the color of a doublestack, photoshop a pan, etc.

I think candyland isn't even close to being in the running to some of the stuff that happens in the land of photoshop.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I think candyland isn't even close to being in the running to some of the stuff that happens in the land of photoshop.

Loyd L.
Fair enough. I do think that a good bit of what happens may not be obvious to the viewer, unless they know the location very well or were present at the time of the shot. So they will have to fess up!

As for me, I do recall one image where I spent considerable time getting rid of a noxious bit of lens flare that was very difficult to clear. I would argue that did not detract from the accuracy of the shot in representing the scene at hand.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I don't think the shot is over-processed. Obviously when you have a 50 year old slide, you have to work with what you've got.

The ones that bug me are when people use layers to drastically lighten mountains, skies, etc. Maybe it just bugs me because I don't know how to do it.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
I don't think the shot is over-processed. Obviously when you have a 50 year old slide, you have to work with what you've got.
I'm not apologizing for the image in any way, indeed it is one of my favorites. I rather like the "painterly" look, but that is a matter of personal taste. Clearly it could be further improved, and perhaps one of these days I'll take another run at it with my new CS5 toy. I posted it simply because it is an example of a VERY highly processed image. If JRMDC is bothered by the grain in the sky, check the artifacts in the shadow areas!

Now that I shoot digital, it is interesting to me at least that the processing of digital originals is a lot different than scanned film, at least in the details. Scanned film often took a lot of sometimes heavyhanded post processing, because film had severe limitations if not exposed perfectly under good lighting conditions. With digital the technology is, at least in my experience, a whole lot more foregiving to the user and I really have had to lighten up in my post processing. My current mantra is less is more.

Last edited by John West; 11-01-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
145040]

Here is what it looked like before I (and several others) worked it over:
"Several" people worked on it and none of those eyes saw how unlevel it was?

Nice job with the processing.

John, can we see the original of this? I love this shot, especially since I was just up in that exact spot two months ago today, at exact time that I am posting this.

Image © John West
PhotoID: 282737
Photograph © John West

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 11-02-2011 at 12:27 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Speaking of processing. When I first joined this site I new nothing of processing. My skills were eventually only good enough to process slides which resulted in this:

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 262409
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

As time went on and reading the forums, I eventually picked up on some of the skills presented on this site, to where I now process with this type of result:

Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 373420
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

I still have a lot more to learn though and have to give a big thanks to the contributors on this site.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool Adjusting level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
"Several" people worked on it and none of those eyes saw how unlevel it was?
I have to admit that when I process images I don't worry too much about getting them level, because I find that after printing and framing it is easier to just tilt the frame a bit when I hang it on the wall.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I have to admit that when I process images I don't worry too much about getting them level, because I find that after printing and framing it is easier to just tilt the frame a bit when I hang it on the wall.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Aside from EVERYTHING Gary Knapp has done, I would have to say this...

Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 326446
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

Not that it's a bad photo, but just out of the fact that it's processed to the max.

Last edited by troy12n; 11-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Question: What sorts of techniques are used in this type of processing? I haven't a clue.

Image © MVGY-RT
PhotoID: 380090
Photograph © MVGY-RT
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Here's one that's pretty bad too: look at those halo's around the unit, it's like he didnt even bother to take the time and do it right. You can even see it on the thumbnail. Or maybe i'm wrong and this train just had an "aura" like Rick James?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
JRMDC

While I would like to see people put more effort into post-processing on some of their slide scans, as I have ranted on from time to time, I understand that some things are very difficult to correct. Here, the Kooistra shot does not look overprocessed, in that I don't know how you can create such a wide halo/aura. That isn't due to sharpening. The overall IQ is poor (someone covered the slide with butter?), but I've no complaint about this one from 1978. Perhaps blame the film?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned

^ In Photoshop, you can use the paintbrush to "paint" things like + levels or brightness. I am guessing that's what he did, or he selectively smoothed out the border. There are a bunch of different ways to do it. It's fine the shot got on, I just have to wonder why he didnt go through the effort to do it right. Maybe he used the dodge/burn tool?

I guess it's possible whomever processed the slide or print originally did it, and all he did was scan it, who knows.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

Maybe that's brake shoe smoke?

Loyd L.

(joking people, I know it's going uphill)

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #19
JRMDC

Something about his overall process?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #20
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

If you use the shadows/highlights tool with a very large radius, it can create a halo like that. Also, if you select an area with a lasso tool that has a large feather (they go up to 150px) and do a curves/levels/brightness adjustment, it could have that effect.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

I think "right" is in the eyes of the viewer. Having struggled with a lot of these old images, I can appreciate what Blair was up against. While I don't particularly like the halo, one can also imagine that it is exhaust gas, which it at least partly might be. Sure it could have been done differently, but Blair obviously was happy (or at least satisfied) with this result. It is an interesting perspective of some stuff that no longer exists.

One of the things that really irritates me about Railpix is the nit picking of technical details. Photography is art and at some point the screeners and audience need to cut the photographer some slack. It is one thing to express an opinion about what you like or don't like (since the viewer has as many "rights" as the photographer), but to suggest right or wrong is missing the whole point of "art". Which is not to say that grossly poor technical issues should be accepted. In the end it is judgement.....which is always a bit of a challenge to get "right".

Last edited by John West; 11-11-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #22
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

On a lot of my photos I try to process them in a way to make them look better but still very close to as I saw it. Overtime you get better and better and find new ways and tricks that work well. The biggest goal is for your processing to be unnoticeable (error free). The more you shoot in off light the better you become in post if that is a look you like.

The most photoshopped and the worst photoshopped are the two categories I would use. I have a few that would fit both.

Here is a poor example that a client wanted that I wanted to show her. I will add more later. http://www.dewitzphotography.com/post-processing/
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote