Old 02-28-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger
Thumbs up Picture published

I sent this picture in to an International Library of Photographers photo contest. apparently it won 2 awards. it was also chosen for publication in a book to be published in the fall of 2006. i didnt know this pic was so popular. i think its one of the best i have ever taken. i guess other people think so too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictures_7354_nel1.jpg (440.0 KB, 184 views)
Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
bnsf sammy

Hey nice picture! Following up on your last thread about BNSF employment, how did that go? Did you get the job?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
Jaypee_Logger

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

thanks, glad you like the shot. RPN rejected it but i still think its one of the best shots i have taken. as for the job i havent heard anything yet. i think my interview went good. i called them today and they said just to keep an eye on my email and phone. hopefully i'll find out soon.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
J

The employment process goes through many channels and the person conducting the interview may not have the authority to make hiring decisions. That said, you've probably got an excellent chance of being offered a job.

While you probably already know this, I'll mention that being an enthusiast is not something to stress at this stage. Some railroaders have the perception that a "foamer" would be too busy oogling an old locomotive to pay attention to their job. There are a lot of enthusiasts out there on the properties - how else do so many put up with the various downsides of railroading. Best to keep a low profile at this point.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
Jaypee_Logger

i have not said anything about being a railfan because of that reason. i dont want them to think thats why i want the job.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
trainmonster

Exclamation

[quote=Jaypee_Logger]thanks, glad you like the shot. RPN rejected it but i still think its one of the best shots i have taken.QUOTE]

See that? I think the screeners need to ponder on this. Nice pic!

Rich
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #7
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmonster
See that? I think the screeners need to ponder on this. Nice pic!

Rich
The screeners already pondered it. They, or one of them, did not like the shot. It's that simple. What should they ponder, that someone's shot was accepted elsewhere after they already stated they didn't like it? More power to the picture, and more power to jaypee_logger. Are they now regretting rejecting it, simply because it was accepted elsewhere? I highly doubt it.

I see it this way. The photographers are the ones who need to ponder this, at least the ones who complain about this site not taking their shot because of such and such a reason. This is not the most holy, divine, omnipresent site that some people act like it is. Here is an example of one that was rejected on RP, yet someone else accepted it. It just goes to show how subjective it is, and just because RP doesn't like it, it's not the end of the world. Too many people think that way.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.

Last edited by 4kV; 02-28-2006 at 10:42 PM.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Ween

Quote:
Here is an example of one that was rejected on RP, yet someone else accepted it. It just goes to show how subjective it is, and just because RP doesn't like it, it's not the end of the world. Too many people think that way.
I think that's what you meant, but well said. Not to take anything away from the photo in question, but I see alot of sub-RP.net photos getting published in magazines (namely Trains) out there (backlit, foreground obstruction, etc.). One set of admin may like it, another may not. That's life too. Accept that fact and move on or be bitter. Your choice...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I think that's what you meant, but well said. Not to take anything away from the photo in question, but I see alot of sub-RP.net photos getting published in magazines (namely Trains) out there (backlit, foreground obstruction, etc.). One set of admin may like it, another may not. That's life too. Accept that fact and move on or be bitter. Your choice...
Yes, subjective is what I meant to say. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

The way I look at it is too many people seem to shoot for THIS site. Why that is I have no idea. Photograph trains to photograph them and have fun. If they get accepted here, great. If not, there are plenty other sites to host pics on if you want them displayed on the net. I think to many people find this site and soon forget why they began shooting this subject in the first place. A love of railroads and railroading. Some people need to go back to the beginning.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaSouthern
The way I look at it is too many people seem to shoot for THIS site. Why that is I have no idea. Photograph trains to photograph them and have fun. If they get accepted here, great. If not, there are plenty other sites to host pics on if you want them displayed on the net. I think to many people find this site and soon forget why they began shooting this subject in the first place. A love of railroads and railroading. Some people need to go back to the beginning.
Darn right. Here's my formula.....

Step 1. Shoot trains my way, which is admittedly picky, and have a good time.
Step 2. Upload to rrpicturearchives.net as they take everything and I can store them there and use the links to send people.
Step 3. Of all the shots that could make it on this site, I may upload a couple, I may not. It's not about this site, although the site is nice.
Step 4. Enjoy my good pictures and delete the really crappy ones.

Last edited by 4kV; 02-28-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
Darn right. Here's my formula.....

Step 1. Shoot trains my way, which is admittedly picky, and have a good time.
Step 2. Upload to rrpicturearchives.net as they take everything and I can store them there and use the links to send people.
Step 3. Of all the shots that could make it on this site, I may upload a couple, I may not. It's not about this site, although the site is nice.
Step 4. Enjoy my good pictures and delete the really crappy ones.
Bingo my friend.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #13
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

I upload alot of photos at rrpicturearchives.net. I prefer roster shooting more than anything else, that's why I don't have too many photos on this site.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 AM   #14
Jaypee_Logger

i'm not complaining i know why it was rejected. i wasnt supprised when it was rejected. i know the shot is back lit and has a big shadow in the forground. i think the backlighting is what makes it a nice shot. i was excited to get it published in a book and i thought i would let other people know. if i thought people would accuse me of complaining i would have kept my mouth shut.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:11 AM   #15
busyEMT

This thread highlights the difference between this site and a publication (be it book, mag or pamphlet). A stand-alone site, such as this, is a database and prides itself on quality. A publisher or author is looking for a photo to illustrate a point/location/etc.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:17 AM   #16
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypee_Logger
i'm not complaining i know why it was rejected. i wasnt supprised when it was rejected. i know the shot is back lit and has a big shadow in the forground. i think the backlighting is what makes it a nice shot. i was excited to get it published in a book and i thought i would let other people know. if i thought people would accuse me of complaining i would have kept my mouth shut.
No need for that bro. I don't think anyone was accusing you of anything, it just touched off what has been an ongoing issue for many on this site for quite awhile. No need to keep quiet.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 AM   #17
Jaypee_Logger

i think if that shot wasnt backlit it wouldnt look as good. i think it makes the water and the surroundings stand out. however the shadow is kind of annoying. i've just had all this good news lately, yesterday i found out about that pic getting published, today i got the job. i should go but a lottery ticket
Old 03-01-2006, 03:34 AM   #18
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypee_Logger
today i got the job.
Congrats dude! What are you gonna be doing?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:41 AM   #19
Jaypee_Logger

i'll be a conductor after my training. i'm gonna start working my way up to engineer as soon as i can
Old 03-01-2006, 03:44 AM   #20
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 AM   #21
Jaypee_Logger

i can already operate a locomotive. i know these new units are a bit more complicated that the SW1500 that i'm used to but i will learn.