Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
BNSF2184

Default Is It True???...

..That foamers get pissed if you wave? Or turn the lights on the motor off?? Never heard that one before thought this would be the best place to ask..
BNSF2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
RobJor

Not sure if this question is a little bit of a put on but I will answer straight. Turning the lights off is not welcome. A simple wave is fine(for me), I often see a wave but inside the cab as they pass, but depends on how many fingers?

There was a case written up in Trains Magazine online where some fans got under the skin of a regular crew so they would open the front door or drapes something over the front of the cab. I guess there are cases where crews try mess with someones photos but rare photo that is so important.

As a little aside I saw some were disturbed that an engineer on a certain steam engine leaned out the cab without a hat. Whatever, but probably wouldn't be doing that so much in the coal days?

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 07-16-2019 at 09:09 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
Joseph Cermak

I love a friendly wave from the crew, and have no problem with it all from a photography standpoint. Opening the door on a widecab is a bit annoying if done on purpose.

The only "waves" I think are annoying is something like this:

Image © John McCloskey Jr.
PhotoID: 657051
Photograph © John McCloskey Jr.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Open door policy. Teehee.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #5
BNSF2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Nice
BNSF2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Not sure if this question is a little bit of a put on but I will answer straight. Turning the lights off is not welcome. A simple wave is fine(for me), I often see a wave but inside the cab as they pass, but depends on how many fingers?

There was a case written up in Trains Magazine online where some fans got under the skin of a regular crew so they would open the front door or drapes something over the front of the cab. I guess there are cases where crews try mess with someones photos but rare photo that is so important.

As a little aside I saw some were disturbed that an engineer on a certain steam engine leaned out the cab without a hat. Whatever, but probably wouldn't be doing that so much in the coal days?

Bob
My approach has always been that if you're not paying for the operation, you get what you get from a photography perspective. Since I shoot only steam, I tend to do a lot of private charters. Those are great, because we're basically paying the railroad to put on a show for us. Whether it be crew attire, smoke, whistles, cylinder cocks......what have you, the railroad will basically do whatever we ask for, as long as it's legal, not against railroad rules and of course, safe. Want smoke? Here comes the burning of Rome!

When it comes to chasing, that's a different story. If you're not paying, it's not your show. You're just a casual spectator and you take what you get. If Ed the Engineer wants to lean out the cab window and run without a hat, good on him. I am about as much of an authenticity snob as you'll find, but I am perfectly fine with Ed leaning out the window of the 4014 without a hat. He and his company have done something I thought I would never see in my life, and it was a great show, so he can do whatever the heck he pleases!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:20 AM   #7
miningcamper1

(deleted by member)

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 07-17-2019 at 02:22 AM.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:23 AM   #8
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post

Iona Island: Both park and RR police consider Iona Island to be "a hangout for troublemakers". And that's even if the visitor does not stray from the one public road that leads to the grade crossing.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:09 AM   #9
cprted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF2184 View Post
..That foamers get pissed if you wave? Or turn the lights on the motor off?? Never heard that one before thought this would be the best place to ask..
Speaking only for myself, I always wave to the crew as they go by and enjoy a wave back. I don't take myself too seriously when I'm out taking photos (of trains or anything). I'm enjoying being outside and if I happen to capture a good image or two, all the better.

I'd never consider a photo ruined by the human element. I actually think railway photos that depict crews are great and honestly humans are more interesting and inanimate machines.
cprted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 AM   #10
RobJor

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 703487
Photograph © Mike Danneman

I had to laugh when I read about the hat(no clue it was an issue), I had just rode my bike along the Chicago lakefront to shoot Metra with the Stones and Soldier Field in the background and my hat blew off on the pedestrian overpass. Ended riding several miles and getting a sour face from a cop to get it back.

So I have visions of the steam hat blowing off passing a crowd and a mad scramble ensuing.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

I promise y'all if you stop worrying about things you have no control over, things will go over much easier. I had to learn tis the hard way. In railroad photography, I cannot control whether a crew opens or closes a door, dons a hat or an orange vest or does not, waves, flips me the bird, scowls at me or sticks out his tongue. I have no control over the weather or which engine is on lead. I cannot make people in photo lines speed up, slow down or pull over. It's not up t me if the guy who is coming in last behind all the other photogs deides to stand in their way or not.

All these folks I see on Facebook bitching about slow drivers or people who don't understand photo lines I just want to say you did not have to go see the UP 4014 or whatever it was you were shooting. You could be sitting on your sorry ass at home without a car, with a prosthetic leg and an infection that could kill you at any minute. Or you could STFU and enjoy your good fortune
Old 08-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #12
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I promise y'all if you stop worrying about things you have no control over, things will go over much easier. I had to learn tis the hard way. In railroad photography, I cannot control whether a crew opens or closes a door, dons a hat or an orange vest or does not, waves, flips me the bird, scowls at me or sticks out his tongue. I have no control over the weather or which engine is on lead. I cannot make people in photo lines speed up, slow down or pull over. It's not up t me if the guy who is coming in last behind all the other photogs deides to stand in their way or not.

All these folks I see on Facebook bitching about slow drivers or people who don't understand photo lines I just want to say you did not have to go see the UP 4014 or whatever it was you were shooting. You could be sitting on your sorry ass at home without a car, with a prosthetic leg and an infection that could kill you at any minute. Or you could STFU and enjoy your good fortune
Agreed. Make the best of the situation your given. You may want to take up being a painter otherwise.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote