Old 06-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
KevinM

Default Get your UAV shots now.....

If you're looking for that awesome and otherwise unachievable angle that only a camera-equipped UAV can provide, you'd better get it soon. I predict that there will be a lot more of this coming:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-g...WhatsNewsThird

As the prices on little UAVs come into the range of affordability for the average "Joe/Jane", and the skill level required to fly them comes down as well, these things are going to proliferate like DSLRs. You can already outfit yourself for about a thousand bucks. Pretty soon, they will be whizzing around vacation spots, beaches, sporting events....you name it. Inevitably, they will not only become very annoying, but a safety issue as well. You can already find videos on You Tube of people with more money than grey matter flying these things up several thousand feet....into the clouds....up where manned aircraft fly. The first time there is a collision, or a big Pratt & Whitney gets trashed, well,.....you know how Congress reacts.

If you do have one of these little guys, please fly it responsibly. Keep it away from people....especially crowds.....structures, and definitely keep it below 400 AGL and away from airports. A little common sense goes a long way. Unfortunately, as I get older, I realize that common sense isn't necessarily common.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I'm not surprised. They are quite annoying when overhead after a few minutes. Not to mention the image quality with those little cameras is pretty mediocre.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I was taken by surprise when I heard this loud insect sounding noise over my head when chasing the Iowa Pacific train. It turned out to be a good sized drone, seen on the upper left of this picture. I guess it's something we'll have to get used to, cause this kind of thing is probably not going to go away.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
KevinM

Hi Lloyd,

You are correct in that most of the UAVs in use are the small DJI Phantoms, and the payload on those is pretty limited from a weight standpoint. The IQ from some of the small cameras isn't all that stout. However, the hexacopter shown in Chris' photo is a significantly bigger air vehicle. It has sufficient useful load to take something as large as a 5DMkIII or even my D4 for a ride. The resolution and IQ with cameras like that is as good as it gets......not that I intend to put my camera on one of those anytime soon!

Can you just imagine what will happen the next time NKP 765 hits the Horseshoe Curve and everyone that used to bring a DSLR or video cam and tripod now brings one of these? Can you say "mid-air"? Bring a hard hat! Yikes!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Lloyd,

You are correct in that most of the UAVs in use are the small DJI Phantoms, and the payload on those is pretty limited from a weight standpoint. The IQ from some of the small cameras isn't all that stout. However, the hexacopter shown in Chris' photo is a significantly bigger air vehicle. It has sufficient useful load to take something as large as a 5DMkIII or even my D4 for a ride. The resolution and IQ with cameras like that is as good as it gets......not that I intend to put my camera on one of those anytime soon!

Can you just imagine what will happen the next time NKP 765 hits the Horseshoe Curve and everyone that used to bring a DSLR or video cam and tripod now brings one of these? Can you say "mid-air"? Bring a hard hat! Yikes!
I've been wanting to break my paintball marker out again... This could be a good excuse to do so...

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Extra 127 South

Hummm. In looking at the drone in Chris' photo, I have to wonder about it in relation to the power lines? Look kind of close to me.
Extra 127 South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
JRMDC

Looks like plenty of space between line and the building on the left, if one is hovering. In a 2D image there is no way to judge depth and that drone could as easily be about to touch the nearby wall as it is to touch the far power lines. I am betting it is about halfway between.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Looks like plenty of space between line and the building on the left, if one is hovering. In a 2D image there is no way to judge depth and that drone could as easily be about to touch the nearby wall as it is to touch the far power lines. I am betting it is about halfway between.
To heck with the power lines.....think of what a PITA it is going to be for Chris to clone that stupid thing out!

Seriously, the AV is probably not much of a risk for the power lines. The various insulating and structural layers in the cable would probably stop the nylon rotors cold. The primary risk is injury to people when a vehicle that weighs several pounds falls out of the sky after a mid-air collision with a wire, structure or another air vehicle.

One risk that modern technology has apparently overcome is the risk of interference between radio control systems. In the old days, having someone turn on a radio control unit that was on the same channel as your RC airplane could cause you to lose control. I talked to a guy who was flying one of those big hexacopters a couple of weeks ago and he assured me that the digital electronics in the control systems have that problem licked. If the copter loses contact with the control unit, I believe that it reverts to using internal GPS and essentially returns to the original point of launch. Way back when I was a kid, I recall watching RC airplanes just sail off to the horizon, never to be seen again.

Funny, back then, nobody called them "drones". Now, the news media has their own name for everything.

My RP stuff is here.

Last edited by KevinM; 06-24-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
SamReeves

What we need are consumer grade CWIS systems to battle the invasion of the drones. Problem solved!

Last edited by SamReeves; 06-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
SamReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
jac_murphy

From a purely narcissistic point of view, I'd be pretty damn pissed off if I heard one of those hovering around while NKP 765 is just approaching.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
I've been wanting to break my paintball marker out again... This could be a good excuse to do so...
I figure you probably feel that way cause you don't have one. You may think a little differently once you get yours.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

I was at a car show a few weeks ago, and the guy flying this never got above 10 feet. Kind of defeated the purpose of having the drone in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drone.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	8647  

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Not to mention the image quality with those little cameras is pretty mediocre.
While trye, that doesnt seem to stop anyone from using them. I welcome the restrictions.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I figure you probably feel that way cause you don't have one. You may think a little differently once you get yours.

Chris Z
Nahh, I'm not going to buy one. I mused about it, but the $1000+ to get one just seems like it would be better spent on more flashes!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
While trye, that doesnt seem to stop anyone from using them. I welcome the restrictions.
I don't necessarily have a problem with people using them for train photos... I just have to express concern over some people using them in areas where they would put innocent onlookers at risk if they lose control of their toy.

If you're out in the woods, or in an open field away from crowds, go for it, knock yourself out. But if there's a reasonable risk of it crashing into someone's house, car or person... I'm just not sure I trust the judgement of your average railfan to think safety and good stewardship over "great photo" opportunity ...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #16
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17 View Post
I don't necessarily have a problem with people using them for train photos... I just have to express concern over some people using them in areas where they would put innocent onlookers at risk if they lose control of their toy.

If you're out in the woods, or in an open field away from crowds, go for it, knock yourself out. But if there's a reasonable risk of it crashing into someone's house, car or person... I'm just not sure I trust the judgement of your average railfan to think safety and good stewardship over "great photo" opportunity ...
I dont want them anywhere near me, or my house. I guess out in the middle of nowhere, when no one else is around it's ok, but the general premise of these drones is anti-privacy and I am not down with that
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #17
JRMDC

Coincidentally, a Washington Post article today documents the accidents and near misses involving UAVs/drones/whatever, including near misses with commercial aircraft. Some of these things are being flown quite high. I presume not quad copters, but then I have no idea, really. The article is part 3; parts 1 and 2 are about military drones, I think - I have yet to read them, just became aware of the series today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...rones-on-rise/

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #18
KevinM

Hi J,

That article details a number of issues that I've been concerned about for some time, both as someone who attends a lot of "events" and someone who frequently flies manned airplanes. Over the past 20 years or so, I've seen a lot of hype in the news about flying cars and other forms of aerial vehicles that ANYONE can fly. Reporters would like us all to think that some day EVERYBODY will be flying. When I see such stories, three words come to mind: PLEASE GOD, NO!

When I was young and naive, I used to think that there was such a thing as common sense....you know, a sort of instinct that humans were born with to keep them safe. After driving a car on the nation's highways for the last 40 years or so, my bubble has been burst. I think a significant percentage of the public does not have the patience, judgment and discipline to drive a car safely, much less pilot an aircraft in the national airspace system. Heck, even some people who hold FAA pilot certificates leave me scratching my head.

It's a different world up there. There are no traffic lights, no double-yellow lines, and for most of us, we can't just pull over and stop when things go wrong. And here's a news flash for the general public. Many of the smaller airplanes you see up there on nice clear days aren't talking to any form of air traffic control. Yeah, you've got to be paying attention when you're flying. Put the stupid cell phone away. There's really no such thing as a fender-bender up there. Hit another aerial vehicle and it's generally game over. What has protected us and kept mid-airs to a minimum over the years are three things: Well-trained and disciplined pilots, the cost of entry, and the "Big Sky" theory. The latter says that given the relatively small number of aircraft and the relatively big volume of available airspace, the odds of two airplanes attempting to occupy the same space at the same time are pretty small.

Unfortunately, in the past couple of years, technologies have debuted that "appear" to minimize the amount of skill required to fly. Ask any Asiana Pilot....(sorry, couldn't help it ). Combine that was a plethora of mass-produced, low cost air vehicles and a lack of regulation and the days of the Big Sky Theory may be numbered. There is still hope, however. Congress is known for knee-jerk reactions and you can bet they'll react the first time someone hurts somebody with one of these things, or God forbid, causes an airline accident.

So get those awesome aerial shots now, while you're still the only "drone" owner on your block!

Semi-sarcastically,

My RP stuff is here.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:31 AM   #19
JimThias

They'll never ban my 25 ft tripod!!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #20
MagnumForce

These things fly themselves from, you tell them where to go and they Park themselves there. It is not as complicated as you think.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
These things fly themselves from, you tell them where to go and they Park themselves there. It is not as complicated as you think.
Hi Brent,

Yes, that's the problem.

Cheap hardware + Minimal skill required + Minimal Regulation = Lots more people with aerial vehicles + Significantly increased probability of accidents and other mayhem.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Brent,

Yes, that's the problem.

Cheap hardware + Minimal skill required + Minimal Regulation = Lots more people with aerial vehicles + Significantly increased probability of accidents and other mayhem.
And peeping Toms.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2585962...n-spots-peeper

Quote:
It appeared that there were video cameras on it. So that's what kind of caused me alarm because I wasn't particularly dressed for a camera, by any means. I wasn't appropriate, and so that was nerve-wracking immediately.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
BobE
Banned

Kevin, I've never flown a plane in my life, but I agree with everything you said.

Jim, Which 25ft. tripod do you recommend? Do you have remote control for aiming the camera?
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobE View Post

Jim, Which 25ft. tripod do you recommend? Do you have remote control for aiming the camera?
Tripod: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-269H.../dp/B001D2EQVI

Pan/tilt head: http://www.amazon.com/Bescor-MP101-V...rized+Pan+Head

Wireless (wifi) remote, controlled with an app on my iPhone and iPad: http://camranger.com/

Old 06-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #25
BobE
Banned

That's all out of my price range right now. Guess I'll stay a ground-hugger for the time being. Thanks. Next Big Purchase is a new iMac to replace my 8-year-old iMac.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote