Old 03-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
coborn35

Default Thanks Screeners!

For telling me this is backlit...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=954919795
Any ideas what I can do to improve the image? I guess when I took it, in my head I was mentally comparing it to this image:
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 290657
Photograph © Max Medlin
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
WembYard

I think the backlighting is too strong on the rejected one, it is not as pleasing to the eye as your accepted pic. The bright patch where the single line starts is distracting and there is a fair bit of noise evident in the shadows.

Having said that, I would have another go to see if the highlights could be toned down and I would also crop nearly all the sky off which would make the picture less square as well as reducing the brightness.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

What got you is the sun was to high for glint and framing too, The high lights off the trailers kill it for me. I do like the photo and it's a nice spot but it's not working. I add, A longer lens and having the power in the shot helps too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

The composition in the reject is not as strong as the accepted image. Also the tone and contrast of your image is not attractive.

Warning: this is just my opinion. As such, it has been shown to be 180 degree's from the final screeners decision a lot lately.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
pderekh

IMO, the accepted shot has more leading lines to the brake shoe dust. Also the rejected shot has the sky which is flat, and is too tight to the subject. Good effort. Maybe try again from further back if possible and use more "mash"
pderekh is offline   Reply With Quote