Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default In need of a tri-pod

Fellas,

I'm looking to purchase a good tri-pod, one that will last me a while, and can stand a considerable amount of wind and abuse.

With that being said, I'm willing to spend around $100 or so, as I still want to apply a good bit of saved up money towards the 24-105L.

Any suggestions, etc. are welcomed.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Paolo Roffo

Chase, I saw a decent one at my local Best Buy outlet when I was there looking for something else.

It had metal legs, extended to something like 70" high, and it had some weight to it. I noticed the weight, but I was in a hurry and so didn't have time to really try and determine how well it would stand up to long nights in the field, but it seemed fairly durable in the store. IIRC it ran around $90.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Chase, whatever you decide, I would encourage you to get a tripod that is upgradeable, i.e. you can swap out heads and legs. This will allow you to upgrade more easily in future years, especially if you like the head or legs and just want to upgrade the other. Many of the tripods I've seen in chain stores don't allow this, with the heads permanently mounted to the legs.

A couple years ago I bought a Slik Pro 700DX packaged with a 3-way pan/tilt head. See Here.

I really like it for the most part, and I certainly got what I paid for, not a top of the line super tripod, but a pretty good one nonetheless. The legs are the best part of it, and can be bought separately, see Here. The legs have certainly met my expectations, and have enough girth to withstand gentle to moderate winds. Gusty, hard-blowing winds are another story, but we're talking 20+ mph winds there which would tax most tripods. One major plus for the legs is that they are covered with foam on the upper portions, which make it look nice (who really cares though), softer on the hands to carry, and most importantly, on those cold nights, you won't have to grab bare metal when you carry your tripod if you're like me and almost never wear gloves. They run about $100 by themselves though.

The head was just OK. In my case, I again got what I paid for, but the 3-way head is pretty cheap. Oh, it gets the job done, the panning lock knob doesn't always lock the panning down entirely so I have to tinker with it before it will lock down all the way. And some of the other knobs still have a bit of give even when locked down...like I said, I got what I paid for. I'd recommend getting a ballhead for it anyway. You can always buy the legs then get a separate ball head. Slik has several ballheads around $50, but I think I'm going to get the PRO-800 which, while it might be a bit more than you'd want to pay, seems to have decent reviews and uses the same quick-release of my current head, although the quick-release is unique to Slik.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

If you're absolutely glued to that budget, I'd go to some camera swaps and see what you can find in a used tripod/head.

If you win the lottery or can allocate more funds, I can highly recommend the setup I use, which is a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 322RC2 head. The legs go for $180 on Amazon, the head is $130. The flexibility allowed by both of these pieces together has allowed me to get some shots that would have been impossible with a lower end setup (getting low to the ground, setting up on the side of a steep hill, having the neck out over a ledge, etc.). If you look at this shot, you'll see what I mean:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23527415@N07/4006750443/
Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
If you're absolutely glued to that budget, I'd go to some camera swaps and see what you can find in a used tripod/head.

If you win the lottery or can allocate more funds, I can highly recommend the setup I use, which is a Manfrotto 055XPROB and 322RC2 head. The legs go for $180 on Amazon, the head is $130. The flexibility allowed by both of these pieces together has allowed me to get some shots that would have been impossible with a lower end setup (getting low to the ground, setting up on the side of a steep hill, having the neck out over a ledge, etc.). If you look at this shot, you'll see what I mean:

I use the same legs but my head is the 804rc2. Great setup!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote:

Nick, while your setup is deifnitely the ideal one, I am hoping, atleast for now, to apply most of my money towards glass. I have a couple of L glass lenses lined up and I don't want to spend a lot of money on other things. If I already owned the 24-105L now, I'd definitely take your mentioned setup into serious consideration.

Chase
Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Mgoldman

If you don't have a big lens and aren't shooting in windy conditions, just about anything will work - you just need something to put your camera on at a specific height and location.

Moving on to a consistently reliable tripod, you should take the following into consideration:

A) Size
1) Will it fit your travel plans (suit case)
2) Will it allow shooting at extreme low levels
3) Will it extend high enough for you
a) Legs can extend at wide angles
b) Post can be inverted
4) Will it disassemble for packing
B) Ease of use
1) I'd highly recommend latches /levers rather then twist lock
2) I like cushioned legs - they don't get cold and they don't scratch
C) Upgradability
1) Can you upgrade - universal fittings to allow upgrades
2) Is there any value to you in getting a tripod/ mono-pod combo unit
D) Weight
1) Is it light enough to carry extended distances and for extended time
a) Consider Aluminum vrs steel, carbon fiber vrs aluminum
E) Head
1) Do you prefer a 3 way adjustable axis (3 levers)
2) Do you prefer a ball head
a) With adjustment knob
b) With trigger (ease of locking)
3) Do you need a fluid head (less friction - good for video and panning)
4) Can you adjust to allow for vertical shooting
5) Are spare mounts for the camera readily available
F) Reliability
1) Plastic can break or flex
2) Low end no-name brands can be poorly built
a) Break on site
b) Flex
c) Come apart
d) Have parts that cease functioning
e) Do not move fluidly
3) Will it support the weight of the camera /lens combination you will use
4) Does it have a hook that can secure the tripod in high wind with weights

I purchased a tripod on E-bay from Amvona which is AWESOME except they are no longer running introductory specials. I use a ball head and it works better for me then the typical 3 lever system.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Chase

As in many things in life, you get what you pay for.

A $100 tripod is better than no tripod of course. Some people on the net say the $50 ones from Walmart are OK. However, a flimsy tripod can ruin that shot you have travelled so far for. Just make sure on ANY tripod that the legs lock so that you can walk away sure that it won't fall over by itself. Laugh, but I have seen it happen. (It was not mine, and it was not pretty.)

I have a Manfrotto 3221 (or 3228A depending which label you look at) with a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head. Sometimes a leg sticks while pulling it out. Overall I am very satisfied with it. About $200 for both pieces I think?

It is all metal, and not very heavy at 6lbs. (Old school stated that heavy is better.) The rage in marketing today is carbon fiber because it is so light.

Honestly, after a career of lifting very heavy wooden, stainless steel and fiber tripod legs for movie cameras, the carbon fiber's offered for digital still cameras feel like matchsticks to me. I'm concerned that since carbon fiber is so light wouldn't wind would be a factor? Hopefully, someone here can expound on this in a railfan context. Gitzo had this market but now Manfrotto is offering units.

The ball head/quick release plate has been a style changer for me. The increase in my speed in setting up has allowed me to shoot on a tripod more and thus increase my image sharpness overall. One knob locks the camera instantly in position. Very fast.

Example:
Image © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com
PhotoID: 309397
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com

The Manfrotto quick release plate system, while very good, is not of high enough quality for serious long lens use. (I have the impression that Acra or Really Right Stuff are) so there is shake on my 200 mm with an APS-C camera. But normally it's perfect for my use.

Maybe for a $100 you could luck out with a used higher quality one?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 01-10-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

You are not going to find a tripod and head for $100 worth a crap. You might as well make one out of 2x4's.

If you want to go cheap, get a bogen 3021 pro tripod legs and try to find a used head system.

I use a 3021 pro b tripod legs and RRS BH-55 head with quick release clamp. The head and clamp itself is almost $500.

There are much better legs out there, but I chose to put my money in the head/clamp as that is where money is best spend in my opinion.

I have an old bogen head/clamp and several quick release plates I may be willing to part with fairly cheap, contact me if interested...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post

The Manfrotto quick release plate system, while very good, is not of high enough quality for serious long lens use. (I have the impression that Acra or Really Right Stuff are) so there is shake on my 200 mm with an APS-C camera. But normally it's perfect for my use.

Maybe for a $100 you could luck out with a used higher quality one?
I agree on this, the Bogen lens plate works fine with my 70-200. But I tried it with my 500 and its scary and I dont trust it. The RRS plates seems to be the way most people are going now days.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
If you don't have a big lens and aren't shooting in windy conditions, just about anything will work - you just need something to put your camera on at a specific height and location.

/Mitch
Gotta agree, Mitch, I have a cheap one that works fine, most of the time your setting up in areas with ballast or mud anyway, I use a mono pod more often, unless I have to use a slow shutter speed or a night shot...Just my 2 cents

Bill
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Gotta agree, Mitch, I have a cheap one that works fine, most of the time your setting up in areas with ballast or mud anyway, I use a mono pod more often, unless I have to use a slow shutter speed or a night shot...Just my 2 cents

Bill
I used to agree with that until I got a good tripod. Just doesnt compare.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
LSRC Railfan

Are you having problems with your current tripod? If not, keep it until after you buy your 24-105 and then save up for a nice one. You shouldn't waste your money on a tripod that's not going to last your for a long time.
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #14
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:

I have the same setup and it is great. It should last you 4 life. I had a cheaper model and it really doesn't compare. If I were you, I would then spend 40 bucks on something for now because the extra 60 I don't think is going to give you much more.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
KevinM

I would echo what Walter said. I had a lightweight tripod that would fit in just about any carry-on suitcase and it was better than nothing. I still keep it in the trunk of my car for just-in-case situations and I still take it with me on trips where I intend to bring only carry-on luggage.

Unfortunately, the lightweight tripod just didn't cut it on anything but smooth ground. It didn't have enough weight to really settle in to grass or dirt. It also didn't fare well when it was windy and I certainly didn't trust it enough to walk away from it with the camera still mounted. I did OK with it, but I also had more than a few blurry pictures.

A year ago, I bit the bullet and bought a Manfrotto 055XB with the 322RC2 Grip-Lock Ballhead. It was about $275 at B&H and well worth it. I've never looked back. This type of head is not great for panning, but for the kind of static night shooting that I do, it is perfect. It will not fit in a carry-on-bag but does fit in my larger bag that I usually check and does not require any disassembly. This tripod is solid as a rock and I don't have problems with blurry pictures any more.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
I have a Manfrotto 3221 (or 3228A depending which label you look at) with a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head. Sometimes a leg sticks while pulling it out. Overall I am very satisfied with it. About $200 for both pieces I think?
I am primarily a handhold shooter but have used several tripods, and I am in the Dennis camp as far as expenditure, and for that matter choices. I think that a $200 combo is the sweet point. $100 and down there are too many compromises and deficiencies in performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
If you want to go cheap, get a bogen 3021 pro tripod legs and try to find a used head system.

I use a 3021 pro b tripod legs and RRS BH-55 head with quick release clamp. The head and clamp itself is almost $500.

There are much better legs out there, but I chose to put my money in the head/clamp as that is where money is best spend in my opinion.
An RRS head for Chase is way crazy IMO. That is a big $355 hunk of solid metal. It handles a 600mm. There is no way that is a good way to start out. Let's not forget that Chase is, what 15? 15! He doesn't need the ultimate do-anything gear at this point, and doesn't have the budget for it. He needs a competent tripod, something beyond the Walmart class, something that gets the job done while he continues to learn photography, something that isn't overspec-ed for his current gear or soon to be acquired gear.

I agree on the legs and on a used head. A good head is important but there is good and there is GOOD. I don't think you are necessarily recommending that for Chase now but it isn't fully clear.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
An RRS head for Chase is way crazy IMO. .
I wasnt recomending that for him, just putting things in perspective as far as what good gear costs, thats why I offered to sell him my old bogen head/QR system to him (for real cheap ...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #18
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Thanks fellas for the very detailed replies! I appreciate it. After hearing four of the RP regulars talk about the same setup, it's definitely persuading me to go for it. While it is a somewhat high price, I don't mind, if it is good quality, and will last me for a decent period of time. I have a fully functional tri-pod for now, it just needs some TLC. It's been through a lot of long nights being in the field among various weather conditions.

Again, I appreciate the very in-depth replies!
Chase
Old 01-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #19
Dennis A. Livesey

Chase

He is one guys blog on tripods. Got me thinking about my situation.

Good to know you'll wait to get something good.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Link now included!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 01-11-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
Chase

He is one guys blog on tripods. Got me thinking about my situation.

Good to know you'll wait to get something good.
Sounds like you intended to include a link, don't see it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 AM   #21
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey

The ball head/quick release plate has been a style changer for me. The increase in my speed in setting up has allowed me to shoot on a tripod more and thus increase my image sharpness overall. One knob locks the camera instantly in position. Very fast.

Example:
Image © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com
PhotoID: 309397
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com

Almost got away from you?
LOL
/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #22
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Almost got away from you?
LOL
/Mitch
Actually they are both moving and it was a KILLER PAN but I didn't want you to feel bad!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #23
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Actually they are both moving and it was a KILLER PAN but I didn't want you to feel bad!
The only way you'll make him feel bad is if there is a dog in that shot.

Chase
Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #24
bigbassloyd

I need to see a zoom pan of a dog chasing a train..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #25
Dennis A. Livesey

At the Ford, I walked up to the most official person I could find at the entrance to ask if I could use a tripod. You could have bowled me over with her "Yes!" answer.

So, I'm there, taking shots on my tripod of 1601 and a friendly, senior age security guard came up to talk. I told I had permission and he said smiled and said "Sure, go ahead, we don't mind!"

A little while later a paunchy middle management 30-something security guard comes by and give me a hard time. I told him I had asked permission from the front office. He went away saying I had to stop soon. Right behind him was the senior guy. He and I exchanged eye-rolls.

So yeah, I had to move fast!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well: