Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan

Default Twilight

Just thought I'd get some feedback on this -- it was dinged for too dark (obviously an easy enough fix if I just wanted to go the route of fixing) - but when I was editing it, my wife was actually upset with how light I'd made it. She thought it looked great when it was much darker, straight out of the camera.

The image was taken after sunset. If I just lighten it more, won't it look like a daylight picture taken when the sun wasn't out?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=230893057
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

Well, later today, it looked pretty dark to me, so I lightened it and resubmitted.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
CUDA7185

Send a message via AIM to CUDA7185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
The image was taken after sunset. If I just lighten it more, won't it look like a daylight picture taken when the sun wasn't out?
Precisely. That time of day is always a tough time to shoot... too much light to get a nice sunset shot, but not enough light to keep everything nicely lit. The result tends to appear, as you said, like a daylight shot without enough light. You could try to lighten it, but I don't believe that would help enough to get it accepted.

On a side note, when I first looked at that photo I didn't even recognize the location. I used to live not too far from there in Ossining, and some of my first railfanning memories are from a park near there watching Metro North trains and Conrail freights roll by.

My Photos on Railpictures.Net
My Railroad & HO Scale Model Photos at Fotopic.Net
CUDA7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
jlev
Banned

Charles,
Good shot, considering that it's dusk. You could lighten it up, but if you do, I would lighten the highlights. That might help, but the shot still might miss the cutoff by a little bit.
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

As predicted... I lightened it and it got hit for cloudy... (it was a a gorgeous sunny day after sunset...) Oh well... Some shots just are not destined for the database.