Old 08-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default Poor Esthetic Quality

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=359096198

Because of not angle or not perfect of angle?

And, need to more contrast?

- David

Last edited by norfolksouthern; 08-21-2009 at 02:07 AM.
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Railfan Ohio
Senior Member
 
Railfan Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fredericktown, Ohio
Posts: 334
Default

There is no train, you are standing on the tracks and the image quality is poor. That's why it was rejected.
__________________
Andy Toms

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,194
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

David, I really think you shouldn't be THAT close to the tracks considering you're deaf.
Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 08-21-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan Ohio View Post
There is no train, you are standing on the tracks and the image quality is poor. That's why it was rejected.
That weird because sometime I see anybody taken photo without trains then sometime they RP accepts it make me bit confused.

Umm, that strange..


Quote:
David, I really think you shouldn't be THAT close to the tracks considering you're deaf. The results may not be an beautiful!

Chase
Yeah, but I want to just taken photo without trains make hoping RP could to accept from my photos but it's still they RP rejection my photos as well..



- David
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,996
Default

Hi David,

I think that when the scene does not include a train, the RP Screeners want to see something really out of the ordinarly. A complex of switches, some interesting scenery, some old trackside buildings would all make a non-train scene stand out a little more than this one.

Regarding standing on the tracks.... There is an element of folks that get their hackles up about trespassing whenever they see a shot that was apparently taken from on the tracks. They have a tendency to ASSUME that you are trespassing, even though the right-of-way could be abandoned....or you could be standing on a grade crossing. Best to avoid such shots if you can....no sense riling up those folks if you don't have to.

On the other hand..... The exposure/lighting in this shot is OK. That's a positive. Build on the positives. Don't dwell on the negatives.

Keep trying....you will get there.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

David,

Many of the no train photos are taken on abandoned lines. When you are shooting on an active line (even if it sees very little traffic) your chances of getting a shot without a train in it or severly reduced. Maybe a nice clean shot of the station (in perfect light) would have gotten in.

CF
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

On the other hand this looks like a real neat spot for a tellymash, those poles repeating off into infinity would make for a good photo.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan Ohio View Post
There is no train, you are standing on the tracks and the image quality is poor. That's why it was rejected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I think that when the scene does not include a train, the RP Screeners want to see something really out of the ordinarly. A complex of switches, some interesting scenery, some old trackside buildings would all make a non-train scene stand out a little more than this one.
David, I think more can be said about the shot, expanding on what Kevin said. A good shot needs to have a subject, and other things that complement the subject. With a train that is easier to start off with, because one has a natural subject. If there is no train, one has to be more careful.

Here, you have a straight segment of track going off into the distance. That is, pardon me, boring (although it can work sometimes). So what complements it? What is interesting? Here, nothing, just a jumble of junk. Poles and wires all over, cut off house, cut off car, cut off station roof. So nothing complements it. So you have not captured a scene that holds together, you have not established a set of components that together "tell a story" or otherwise create a unity. You need a strong composition and you instead have a mess of stuff. That is harsh, but I think that is accurate also. Photography can be difficult to do.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi David,

I think that when the scene does not include a train, the RP Screeners want to see something really out of the ordinarly. A complex of switches, some interesting scenery, some old trackside buildings would all make a non-train scene stand out a little more than this one.

Regarding standing on the tracks.... There is an element of folks that get their hackles up about trespassing whenever they see a shot that was apparently taken from on the tracks. They have a tendency to ASSUME that you are trespassing, even though the right-of-way could be abandoned....or you could be standing on a grade crossing. Best to avoid such shots if you can....no sense riling up those folks if you don't have to.

On the other hand..... The exposure/lighting in this shot is OK. That's a positive. Build on the positives. Don't dwell on the negatives.

Keep trying....you will get there.

Oh, okay but I was thought that RP would like to accepted from my photos without trains but I surprised that RP don't accepted about my photos so were just rejection my photos because poorly of lighting or poor esthetic but sometimes I saw anybody's photos there was without no trains just building, bridges, scenery, etc so those RP was accepts that's strange so yes you are correct so I better need to take practices everytime. Of course, I always be positive and keep fighting about my photos.



Freericks,

Quote:
Many of the no train photos are taken on abandoned lines. When you are shooting on an active line (even if it sees very little traffic) your chances of getting a shot without a train in it or severly reduced. Maybe a nice clean shot of the station (in perfect light) would have gotten in.

CF
Hmm, it's okay so next time I trying my best do and, still I has photos of the PRR stations in my files too. If, RP could accept or reject.

- David
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
On the other hand this looks like a real neat spot for a tellymash, those poles repeating off into infinity would make for a good photo.
Nikos,

Do you think that I should can crop off on left from the house and right from the house, what do you thinking?


JRMDC,

Quote:
David, I think more can be said about the shot, expanding on what Kevin said. A good shot needs to have a subject, and other things that complement the subject. With a train that is easier to start off with, because one has a natural subject. If there is no train, one has to be more careful.

Here, you have a straight segment of track going off into the distance. That is, pardon me, boring (although it can work sometimes). So what complements it? What is interesting? Here, nothing, just a jumble of junk. Poles and wires all over, cut off house, cut off car, cut off station roof. So nothing complements it. So you have not captured a scene that holds together, you have not established a set of components that together "tell a story" or otherwise create a unity. You need a strong composition and you instead have a mess of stuff. That is harsh, but I think that is accurate also. Photography can be difficult to do
Yes, so guessing I need take to practice how to work on it. And, sure I can do to work on this photos when I will crop off on left and right what you say.

- David
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
SamD
Senior Member
 
SamD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern View Post
Nikos,

Do you think that I should can crop off on left from the house and right from the house, what do you thinking?
You should forget this exposure, go back in good light (sunset or sunrise might be particularly fruitful), and recompose the whole thing. Either wider so it shows the surroundings, or tighter and vertically oriented so we get a nice telesmash down the tracks.

Also, I hate to tell you this, because I'm having this issue with my equipment and it sucks, but it looks like your lens has some serious distortion in the upper part of the frame. This could be due to a problem in your autofocus, or a misaligned element in your lens. If the lens you took that with is under warranty, I would advise taking it into for servicing, because that sort of distortion will kill you shot on RP every time (as I have learned to my chagrin).
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamD View Post
You should forget this exposure, go back in good light (sunset or sunrise might be particularly fruitful), and recompose the whole thing. Either wider so it shows the surroundings, or tighter and vertically oriented so we get a nice telesmash down the tracks.

Also, I hate to tell you this, because I'm having this issue with my equipment and it sucks, but it looks like your lens has some serious distortion in the upper part of the frame. This could be due to a problem in your autofocus, or a misaligned element in your lens. If the lens you took that with is under warranty, I would advise taking it into for servicing, because that sort of distortion will kill you shot on RP every time (as I have learned to my chagrin).
Sam,

Yeah, but one problem that I don't get a lens for fit my camera just without and I was using "autofocus" and, with white balance because of sunlight so that's why what I using. I agreement with you, Sam.

- David
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #13
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern View Post
Yes, so guessing I need take to practice how to work on it. And, sure I can do to work on this photos when I will crop off on left and right what you say.

- David
Like Sam said, forget about this one.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #14
jlev
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 215
Default

I hate to say this, but the image quality is out of the ballpark.

What aperture and shutter speed were you using? It does look out of focus.

If you haven't reread Kevin's posts, I would go back and do that.

Let's put the Delmarva Sec shot aside, and hopefully find something else.
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:19 AM   #15
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Like Sam said, forget about this one.
Yes, I know understand now so try my best doing!


jlev
Quote:
I hate to say this, but the image quality is out of the ballpark.

What aperture and shutter speed were you using? It does look out of focus.

If you haven't reread Kevin's posts, I would go back and do that.

Let's put the Delmarva Sec shot aside, and hopefully find something else.
Yes I understand what you mean. And, eh don't know not sure what my camera has kind of shutter speed but I thinking that my camera are regular. And, yes I was did read on Kevin's posts. So, I could take to reshot but may stand close grade crossing or whatever else.

Still, I has alot many any pictures belong with Delmarva in my files.

- David
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #16
jlev
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 215
Default

what type of camera do you have NS?
A Nikon, Cannon. Most professional cameras have what's called shutter priority, where you pick shutter speed. However, that is more important lets say you are shooting a high speed train like what you guys have in northern DE. Freight trains, you could keep the shutter speed slow, but not too much.
Autofocus is good for freights on the Delmarva Sec.
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #17
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev View Post
what type of camera do you have NS?
A Nikon, Cannon. Most professional cameras have what's called shutter priority, where you pick shutter speed. However, that is more important lets say you are shooting a high speed train like what you guys have in northern DE. Freight trains, you could keep the shutter speed slow, but not too much.
Autofocus is good for freights on the Delmarva Sec.
Anyone are lucky because which everyone has Nikon or Canon camera digits. My camera is Nikon.

Which I live in middle Delaware not in Northern Delaware just which I live nearly Harrington and Dover so I live in Felton that which Felton is country not city nothing else.

NS 12G, NS 13G, 67T, 67V, 852, and 897. And, also there has NS locals too...

So, there NS trains always run speed restriction at least 25 mph when were begin at Harrington to Dover.


My camera is autofocus no manual.

- David
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.