Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
KevinM

Question Anything level here?

Folks,

I haven't been busted for unlevel in a while, so I figured I'd go for it with a shot that has almost nothing plumb.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1088692528

To my eye, the train appears to have a left lean and accordingly, the version you're seeing already has 1 deg. of right rotation built in. I figured that if I put in any more, the trees would be leaning and the trestle wouldn't appear to be on a much of a grade....and yes, the trees do grow vertically on this mountain and the grade is enough to leave most people huffing and puffing.

Thoughts? I'll be surprised if any two people can agree on the same adjustment!

Thx,

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-01-2009 at 03:24 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
JRMDC

Smidge CCW - get the vertical posts vertical - although some of them seem to have flaws or parts hewn off or something. The train is supposed to have some left lean, of course.

Trees don't grow straight up there, do they!

I'd crop a bit bottom and right also.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 03-31-2009 at 01:48 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
jnohallman

I'd go about a half degree left, I think. And then paste in a steamer in place of that ugly thing! I mean, its bad enough that they decided to introduce diesels to Mt. Washington, but did they have to make them so bad looking?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
Mgoldman

Perhaps the screener is in fact referring to the fact that no level headed person would either replace nor photograph a bio-diesel on the Cog.

If that is not the deal, I'd go with Janusz and suggest a slight counter clockwise rotation to bring most or perhaps the most visible post to 90 degree angles.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
KevinM

Well folks, I'm beginning to think that going CCW isn't what the Screener had in mind. Before turning in last night, I reworked the original submission essentially doing what y'all suggested. I went CCW 1 degree. With that, the posts looked vertical on the grid. Also cropped closer.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=665111&key=0

Swing and a miss.

I had a few minutes tonight to try a few things, so I went another .6 degrees CCW.....the posts still looked vertical on the grid and looked better to the eye.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1232490952

Whiff!

When I got the first rejection, my initial inclination was to go further CW....not CCW as y'all suggested. While I agreed with you that the image as shot (second submission) looks the most realistic, I had a feeling that the Screener wanted to see the locomotive verticals looking vertical....and having struck out swinging with the CCW rotations, I now believe that even more. Trouble is, doing what I expect he wants to see takes at least 3.5 deg of CW rotation and leaves the trestle looking just a bit downhill. I think I need to invite him to come hike with me to this spot!

Any further thoughts on this? At this point, I'm not really hard-over to get this shot in the data base. I just want to understand how to level a shot taken in an environment as unusual as this one. I'm guessing that relatively few railfans have shot trains on grades exceeding 20%. On this railway, the average is 25%.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
jnohallman

Maybe the solution isn't trying to level the pic, but going back to the original rejection and filing an appeal, pointin out in the process both the gradient involved on the line and the fact that leveling on the verticals on the engine would result in a picture showing the train going downhill when it is indeed going up. I'd say ask the screeners for an explanation of what they want leveled, but I've never had any luck getting feedback from screeners . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

To me it looks like it needs some cw rotation going off the trees in the background.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
Maybe the solution isn't trying to level the pic, but going back to the original rejection and filing an appeal, pointin out in the process both the gradient involved on the line and the fact that leveling on the verticals on the engine would result in a picture showing the train going downhill when it is indeed going up. I'd say ask the screeners for an explanation of what they want leveled, but I've never had any luck getting feedback from screeners . . .

Jon
yup,plus to repeat what I said earlier in a different way, you have the engine cab placed well to the left and high - it is an in-your-face position of sorts. Try to recrop and get the emphases off the left so much. But now or then, appeal! With detailed explanation.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
KevinM

Folks,

To be clear on what I've done already:

This was the original submit. Out-of-camera image was rotated +1 deg CW before submission:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1088692528

Second submit. Image orientation was right out of the camera. Probably the most realistic IMHO:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=665111&key=0

Third submit. Out-of-camera image was rotated .6 deg CCW. Travis, if this is the one you think needed to go back CW, I'm with you.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1232490952

Janusz, I may have mis-interpreted your original comment on the cropping issue. I thought that perhaps you were indicating that I had too much "blah" to the right and bottom, when you may have intended that I move the subject more to the right and bottom. That would certainly be easy to do here. I have plenty of room on all sides.

So it looks like the consensus is to use the out-of-camera orientation, crop to move the subject lower and further right....and appeal?

Thanks for the inputs guys!

My RP stuff is here.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-01-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Janusz, I may have mis-interpreted your original comment on the cropping issue. I thought that perhaps you were indicating that I had too much "blah" to the right and bottom, when you may have intended that I move the subject more to the right and bottom. That would certainly be easy to do here. I have plenty of room on all sides.
They are the same thing. Removing the blah right and bottom is what moves the subject in that direction. Alternatively, you can carefully select around the train, cut, and paste to the right and bottom, but then you have a train suspended in mid air...

Quote:
So it looks like the consensus is to use the out-of-camera orientation, crop to move the subject lower and further right....and appeal?
You can't actually appeal until you submit the revised shot and it is rejected.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
You can't actually appeal until you submit the revised shot and it is rejected.
LOL! Yes, of course. In this case, however, I may have to just appeal one of the existing rejections because any further submissions with the one of those orientations would probably constitute the dreaded "Uncorrected Re-Upload".

I'm beginning to like Jon's idea of cutting and pasting a steam engine in place of that ugly diesel. A nice Berkshire perhaps?

My RP stuff is here.