Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #76
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg_fan
Can someone please explain to me how this shot...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

...is any different from this one...

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 237986
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

...yet I haven't heard a single peep from anyone about it?

-Christian S.
You're right. That should be on www.maninchinasittingonahillpictures.net. Mr. Rhodes just happened to get a passing train in the background.

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #77
a231pacific

The Michael Rhodes shot is better than Andrew's (sorry Andrew) because it's a more effective use of framing and the foreground subject is more interesting. In Andrew's shot the subject is probably the fence, but it's sort of a diffused subject in that it covers most of the shot. The dead area to the right also detracts.

Both are similar in that they are photos in which the train is merely an element in the picture. I happen to like this sort of shot, although just like wedgies, a whole lot of out of focus "where's Waldo" type shots would soon outlive their welcome.

Since the site is called RailPictures, the rules pretty much require that the image be railroad related, but I see nothing to prevent fine photographs from being accepted where the railroad element is almost incidental to the photo. Personally, I'd rather look at a creative scenic or human interest shot than yet another well lit, tightly framed 3/4 angle BNSF pumpkin. There are others who feel exactly the opposite. I think there is room on RP for both types of photos.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #78
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I'm terribly sorry to disappoint you, but the feeling is mutual. Your most recent photos are good, although somewhat repetitive, but after the first couple of pages it gets quite boring and questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Predictable reply. The only difference is, he doesn't share your same "standards," so a comparison does not apply.

At least Jim's brain processes fast enough to understand my point. Unfortunately, in Mike B's case, that was the response I was expecting. Your fingers move faster than you can think and you love to read your own words. It's quite pathetic to be honest.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #79
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
You're right. That should be on www.maninchinasittingonahillpictures.net. Mr. Rhodes just happened to get a passing train in the background.

How is that domain not registered yet?! You should jump on that, Jim.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #80
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
At least Jim's brain processes fast enough to understand my point. Unfortunately, in Mike B's case, that was the response I was expecting. Your fingers move faster than you can think and you love to read your own words. It's quite pathetic to be honest.

/|\That made me this happy to hear
|

River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #81
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
The Michael Rhodes shot is better than Andrew's (sorry Andrew) because it's a more effective use of framing and the foreground subject is more interesting. In Andrew's shot the subject is probably the fence, but it's sort of a diffused subject in that it covers most of the shot. The dead area to the right also detracts.

Both are similar in that they are photos in which the train is merely an element in the picture. I happen to like this sort of shot, although just like wedgies, a whole lot of out of focus "where's Waldo" type shots would soon outlive their welcome.

Since the site is called RailPictures, the rules pretty much require that the image be railroad related, but I see nothing to prevent fine photographs from being accepted where the railroad element is almost incidental to the photo. Personally, I'd rather look at a creative scenic or human interest shot than yet another well lit, tightly framed 3/4 angle BNSF pumpkin. There are others who feel exactly the opposite. I think there is room on RP for both types of photos.

Michael Allen
No need to apologize! I couldn't find a local who was willing to lean or sit on the fence (preferably female ) but I took the shot anyway. I think Christian's argument was regarding Rich's (bigiron) beef with my shot which was that the engine's drivers were cutoff and the foreground distracted from the train which was not the subject. Now I totally agree that Michael's is better than mine in terms of what is the subject and that there is room for both and more of this kind.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #82
a231pacific

Andrew, I do like your shot and I am really glad to see you out there pushing the envelope. It will make RP a more interesting site to visit, but I know that there will still be a enough wedgies out there to keep the masses happy!

I read your description of what went into the composition of your shot, went back and looked at it again. I'm more impressed after the second viewing. Framing is something I need to start giving some thought to.

As an aside to Mike B's comment about "shooting fish in a barrel," how is that different from having inside information and going out to shoot a move as a result, other than the fact that you don't have to pay for it? It seems to me that railfanning the UP or the BNSF or Metra or the NE corridor is more like fishing with dynamite than shooting fish in a barrel!

In the final analysis, it's what you make of it that matters. You can get perfectly average wedgies standing alongside the main anywhere, whether they are of service trains, special moves or charters, or you can try for something different. It's up to you.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #83
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
As an aside to Mike B's comment about "shooting fish in a barrel," how is that different from having inside information and going out to shoot a move as a result, other than the fact that you don't have to pay for it? It seems to me that railfanning the UP or the BNSF or Metra or the NE corridor is more like fishing with dynamite than shooting fish in a barrel!

Michael Allen

It's different because the railroad is going about its business without the railfan in mind. I'm just cutting off the wasted time trackside and only go out when there is something I want to shoot. On a charter the sole reason for the train being there is for the railfans and the train does what the railfans want. The schedule of a charter is determined by railfans. If I could decide when what trains are going to run, I would never go to work. I can't even tell you how many times I've been unable to shoot an excellent train due to bad running times or bad weather. I had to skip shooting the BNSF 7812 just this morning since it was cloudy and with rain in the area (of course it's sunny now). Last week I had to miss the CITX 141 on a freight because it ran at night. So, no, it certainly is not like shooting fish in a barrel even with inside information since schedules change, power change, routes change, etc. It is easier to get the good trains, but no where near perfect.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #84
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
LMAO!!!!
No, Chris, it's more of a ROFL!!!

stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #85
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg_fan
Can someone please explain to me how this shot...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

...is any different from this one...

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 237986
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

...yet I haven't heard a single peep from anyone about it?

-Christian S.
First of all, thanks for showing the other shot, I missed it at the time.

Michael's shot is a shot of a man doing what he is doing! The RR is incidental but offers some context, in that the old man and (implicitly) the old technology of the bundled sticks serves as commentary of a sort on the about to be eliminated steam operation. (One could argue there is not RR content for RP, but as a photo in general it is terrific.)

AB2's shot is a shot of a fence with a bit of RR context. The fence is, to my eye, not interesting enough to make a great photograph; the shot is OK but does not move me in anyway. As an RR shot, there is too much obstruction for my tastes and the fence does not provide an interesting enough environment. Sorry, Andrew, not a fan!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #86
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I don't understand the need for railfans to tell other railfans how to shoot and to imply they're doing it wrong. I don't mean giving advice, esp. when asked for, but I do mean when people make stupid implications that they shouldn't shoot DPUs or engines with FREDs and that they shouldn't shoot wedgies or shuold shoot GEVOs.

Understood less is why people spend so much time on message boards fussing at one another in the steam charters versus diesel freights debate or any other such debate. The clear implication is always that one person is just wrong while the other is right. That's just plain silly. To each their own. Let them shoot how they want to.

Now with that said, when I first got into this hobby, I didn't like shooting NS. CSX was interesting then with all kinds of leasors and foreign power in these parts. But NS was almost always nothing but Black Oil, as I called it, a reference to the alien life form on "The X Files" that took over people's bodies, killed them and then made them do bad things.

Of course, later I realized some of those black lash-ups I was passing by had engine types that were quickly vanishing, most notably high high B23-7s and even still a few U-boats, possibly. So, yay, I got every lease engine HLCX had. Great. But I got two quick grab shots of Dash 7s with high hoods leading. That's why I don't care what's on lead now. I shoot it if I have a change, watch it roll by if I don't.

Joe
Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #87
ccaranna

Quote:
I can't even tell you how many times I've been unable to shoot an excellent train due to bad running times or bad weather. I had to skip shooting the BNSF 7812 just this morning since it was cloudy and with rain in the area (of course it's sunny now). Last week I had to miss the CITX 141 on a freight because it ran at night.
Where does it say you can't shoot during bad weather and at night? Think outside the barrel.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #88
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Understood less is why people spend so much time on message boards fussing at one another in the steam charters versus diesel freights debate or any other such debate.
Back in the day we had the Great Fuji vs. Kodak debate. Then digital came along and we had the Great Digital vs. Film debate. Now that digital has established itself as the dominant format, we need something else to debate. Hence the Great Faux Olde Tyme Photo Charter Debate.

Personally, though I'm sure it's a controversial opinion, I think that it's a good thing for the railroad photography community to discuss the merits of shooting make-believe charters as opposed to current operations.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #89
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
Where does it say you can't shoot during bad weather and at night? Think outside the barrel.
I'm not about to spend my time and money chasing a 60mph train in the rain or in the dark. I'll gladly take a timed exposure of a train if it's stopped but streak shots don't interest as much as they used to (you can't even see the train). I know it's possible to get good shots in the rain, but I don't like getting my camera equipment wet so I only shoot in the rain when I need to.

I don't just shoot in sunny weather. I have a shot on RP that was taken in South Dakota in crappy weather that I like very much.
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #90
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
I'm terribly sorry to disappoint you, but the feeling is mutual. Your most recent photos are good, although somewhat repetitive, but after the first couple of pages it gets quite boring and questionable.
Mike, if you're going to start Playing the Dozens, you might as well know something. Brad's a far better photographer than you think. That said, it's his own fault for not advertising that fact. Brad might post about one percent of what he shoots.

See this photo?

Image © John Ryan
PhotoID: 236054
Photograph © John Ryan

That's Brad's idea, Brad's location, and Brad's planning. I just happened to be there next to him to press the shutter button. That's more indicative of what Brad is shooting than something that is three years old. Brad, at age 20, has only had a few years to refine his photographic talents. How many years have you had?

Like it or not, fair or not, it's human nature to judge a photographer's comments by the quality of their work. Some people can walk the walk better than others.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #91
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Since I prefer to only shoot good power that makes my photos boring and unsurprised? I just want to shoot things that actually interest me, and Dash 9s and GEVOs do not interest me.
Shoot give me a Dash 9 or a GEVO anyday.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 237865
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #92
Dump The Air

I'll shoot whatever presents itself track side, day or night. Who cares if its raining or snowing, some of the most spectacular shots I've seen have been in heavy rain. Shooting at night is always a great challenge, shooting a good streak usually means finding props to make the shot interesting, and sometimes trying to focus in pitch dark...

I'm not gonna cap and turn the camera off because a GEVO or a Dash-9 or the same old LIRR train heads my way

I shoot it now because in 30 years I'm gonna be happy I did.
Dump The Air is offline   Reply With Quote