Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #51
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
Well this is startin to get pretty good!
No it's not. It's gotten pretty sad...
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #52
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

I screwed up. I also think that their are more important things that you should do than to hop all over a 15 year old. Let it go, relax. Don't accuse me of being stupid, bratty, or any other unfair slur's. Let it go, it doesn't personally affect you.
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #53
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule
If it was someone who would take the feedback given here and learn from it, I would say this would be useful conversation. However, it has now become a group of adults going back and forth with a child who has no interest in learning how things are done correctly.
As someone with two seven year olds, believe me, I have been there, done that. In this case, I don't know why I care. Sure we're lumping on him to a certain extent. However, if he would see past some of it and take the good advicethat is also in there, but as you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule
At this point it looks like any time wasted here is pointless.
But I'm at work. So I'm getting paid for this!

Joe
Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #54
CNWFreak

Maybe it's just me, but I'm tired of people using their age as their defense, for example B. Erdmann, Amos de Trens, CR, etc... . I'm only 14, and know that this is a lame excuse. There are plenty of young railfans who know to conduct themselves in a good manor, so this should not be an reason to explain their behavor.

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #55
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

I am not using my age as my defense. Someone asked me how old I was. I am saying that you guys need to lay off. Snd Joe the Photog, I can see what you are writing encase you forgot that.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #56
CNWFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Railfan
I am 15, new to this, so shut up.

Maybe it's me, again, but that is you saying that your 15, so we should all shut up. I think thats using your age to your defense....

Railpictures.net

RR Picture Archives
CNWFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #57
NSFan14

CR,

Dude I dont think they are trying to put you down. They just want you to know that you did wrong and your making it 2x as bad by not admiting up to it. Your 15,Oh well do you know how to read? Well you shoulda read the guidelines before posting.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #58
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Railfan
Snd Joe the Photog, I can see what you are writing encase you forgot that.
Huh?

Hmm...I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. I'm sure it's coming...soon....

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #59
Rich K

Chicago Railfan,

I suggest you perhaps look at it like this . . . . .

You tried some slight of hand and got caught. You might have done so without fully understanding or considering the potential consequences of your actions. I for one will just call it impetuous youth.

Now you have a whole month to work on your craft and gather some new and fresh photographs which you can (legitimately) post process at your leisure.

After your little hiatus from submitting pictures, you can start fresh having grown from your mistakes, and I would guess that most everyone who frequents this forum will again be willing to help you improve. On the other hand, telling people to shut up, etc., will not endear you to any of us, and you might soon find yourself quite unwelcome here.

I hope that should you be tempted to cross the line again you will remember what has transpired with this latest escapade of yours, and having learned from all of this you will choose to do the right thing next time.

Now I think it is time for you to swallow a large helping of humble pie and put this behind you.

Good luck, young man!

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #60
Chicago Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich K
Chicago Railfan,

I suggest you perhaps look at it like this . . . . .

You tried some slight of hand and got caught. You might have done so without fully understanding or considering the potential consequences of your actions. I for one will just call it impetuous youth.

Now you have a whole month to work on your craft and gather some new and fresh photographs which you can (legitimately) post process at your leisure.

After your little hiatus from submitting pictures, you can start fresh having grown from your mistakes, and I would guess that most everyone who frequents this forum will again be willing to help you improve. On the other hand, telling people to shut up, etc., will not endear you to any of us, and you might soon find yourself quite unwelcome here.

I hope that should you be tempted to cross the line again you will remember what has transpired with this latest escapade of yours, and having learned from all of this you will choose to do the right thing next time.

Now I think it is time for you to swallow a large helping of humble pie and put this behind you.

Good luck, young man!
Finally, constructive criticism that has a point without making people feel low! Thanks Rich! I will pay more attention from the rules once the month is up.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 AM   #61
WKUrailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
Come on, surely even you can see the difference between sharpening a digital image out of the camera, and selectively blurring the background of a photo to create a pan shot effect. You could superimpose Santa and his reindeer flying through the sky behind the train in a dark room, too, but that doesn't make it any more representative of reality than what he did.

Yawn.

Can't you come up with something more original than saying we're trying to define what constitutes acceptable rail photography and what doesn't?

The fact of the matter is, as a publication, we have set standards as to what type of material we wish to publish. You should know better than most that it's no different in the print world, in fact, it's much more stringent. When you send images to Trains, Railfan & Railroad, or whatever else, and they don't publish every one of them, do you get as wound up because they're trying to "put ideas into your head?"

The 60,000+ folks who visit this site on a daily basis seem to like the direction we're going, and that's good enough for me.
Since when does blurring a background make a shot look like its panned? It doesn't look like a pan at all, maybe a tiltshift, maybe. The rules on the site
are pretty arbitrary. I never stood up for this guy and his sub-par photoshopping in the first place, and I'm not sure why anyone is accusing him of "sneaking" anything like this in the database, its so obviously falsified.

Whether you think you are or not, your "bad motive" rejection is doing just that, imposing a subjective view of what is acceptable. If I want to see creative rail photography, I don't surf over to rp.net, because for the most part, its not here anymore.

I know you have to have standards, I'm no moron, but there's a difference between the standards of publication like "Trains" and your website which accepts hundreds of pictures each day to be published.

I don't buy that because 60,000+ people visit this site everyday, it somehow legitimizes everything the site moderators do. By in large, the masses are asses. 3 or 4 times a week the most viewed pictures are bound to include some kind of unspectacular derailment or accident. Apparently 3,000 people simply must view another picture of a boxcar with one wheel off the rail.

It disturbs me that the most creative and fresh photographs on this website are buried on the 10th, 11th, and 12th pages of newly added photos.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #62
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUrailfan
Since when does blurring a background make a shot look like its panned? It doesn't look like a pan at all, maybe a tiltshift, maybe.
You are correct about that, it doesn't look like a pan shot, but more of a tiltshift to give it a shallow depth of field. Kind of like this shot that I took and purposely blurred to make it look like a model:

Regardless, it was still digitally manipulated from the original photo that he first had rejected. Whether he was being sneaky about it or not is beside the issue.

Quote:
If I want to see creative rail photography, I don't surf over to rp.net, because for the most part, its not here anymore.
I see creative photography here all the time. Now I'm curious to see what you consider creative railroad photography. Do you have any links?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #63
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUrailfan
I don't buy that because 60,000+ people visit this site everyday, it somehow legitimizes everything the site moderators do. By in large, the masses are asses. 3 or 4 times a week the most viewed pictures are bound to include some kind of unspectacular derailment or accident. Apparently 3,000 people simply must view another picture of a boxcar with one wheel off the rail.

It disturbs me that the most creative and fresh photographs on this website are buried on the 10th, 11th, and 12th pages of newly added photos.
I don't disagree, but I think the tone is too strong. RP is a mass-market railpix site that has a fraction of shots that, you and I will agree, are somewhat to sometimes considerably more interesting. That is simply a reflection of the fact that RP accepts lots of different kinds of shots, including simple repetitive wedgies. It simply isn't going to be a site with a high share of creative/fresh shots. You seem to be blaming RP for not being what you want it to be.

I sure hate it when a shot has a chance for top two but gets pushed down by a wreck shot - AARGH!

As Jim asked, please point out some other sites - I would like to know! It would be cool to have a site that is primarily about creative/fresh, and which would allow manipulated shots of various sorts (done well and done toward an artistic end!). I'm not sure such a site could sustain itself, but you are welcome to try.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #64
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

The progression of this thread has been quite entertaining. One particular member should have learned a valuable lesson!

Do we need a ...

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #65
M.L.Gabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias

I see creative photography here all the time. Now I'm curious to see what you consider creative railroad photography. Do you have any links?
There's alot of creative photography on here, but like WKU say's it get's lost. Here's a sight which has IMO lot's of interesting photo's.http://www.bayarearails.net/
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #66
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.Gabert
There's alot of creative photography on here, but like WKU say's it get's lost. Here's a sight which has IMO lot's of interesting photo's.http://www.bayarearails.net/
Yes, there is some nice stuff there. A terrible website to go through, however, no thumbnails.

A lot of it is fine for RP, but some are not. It's that stuff, to use my own term, that is not "representational" that I would like to know of an outlet to (readily) see more of. Like this fisheye:
http://www.bayarearails.net/brahms/display.php?bnsf8709

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #67
JRMDC

And this one, not just for the fisheye but also the color:
http://www.bayarearails.net/brahms/display.php?up3341b

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #68
Joe the Photog

Some folks get on the type of shots I take -- maybe not directed at me personally, mind you -- with my wide angle lens. I'd love to have a fish eye, but I doubt any of it would be accepted here. I think I'd use it differently than the fellow linked above though. I'm not sure how. The shot with the blue bonnet works better than the othr one though.

Like I said elsewhere in this thread, it you're looking for railroad art, this isn't the site for you. That's totally fine. If you want fine railroad photography, you will find that here.

Joe
Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #69
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

One of the most creative photos I have seen on here thus far was last week's photo of the week.

Image © Gregory Dahbura
PhotoID: 212357
Photograph © Gregory Dahbura

Getting a pair of scrub turkeys just where you wanted them when the train came past would have been one difficult task!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #70
randy

The "turkey shot" is pretty, and I'd like to see video of the photographer rounding them up, but the birds don't have anything to do with the train. It's a holiday-themed shot that, IMHO, would have been dynamite even without the birds. Maybe I'm just a turkey, but its a little too cute for my (subjective!) taste.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #71
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I keep forgetting it is Thanksgiving over there and didn't realise it was a holiday themed photo. Unfortunately, we don't celebrate it here - Christmas costs me enough!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #72
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Yes, there is some nice stuff there. A terrible website to go through, however, no thumbnails.

A lot of it is fine for RP, but some are not. It's that stuff, to use my own term, that is not "representational" that I would like to know of an outlet to (readily) see more of. Like this fisheye:
http://www.bayarearails.net/brahms/display.php?bnsf8709
To me that's just a badly distorted picture with a train in it. Fisheye lenses have their purpose, but just because you take a picture with one doesn't make it a cool picture or even mean it's good, for that matter. Thankfully, shots like that aren't in this database (at least none that I've seen that bad).
Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #73
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
To me that's just a badly distorted picture with a train in it. Fisheye lenses have their purpose, but just because you take a picture with one doesn't make it a cool picture or even mean it's good, for that matter. Thankfully, shots like that aren't in this database (at least none that I've seen that bad).
I think it's a nice composition. The horizon and the rails form a gentle U, with the sun at it's focal point. The textures of the rock and the sea contrast nicely. The main thing I might want to change is that the line dividing sea and rock is too much in the center for my tastes.

Of course, Jim, like what you want. Especially with this sort of thing, there is no standard of better, more than most sorts of shots it's a matter of taste. But I would enjoy seeing shots that you think are good uses of fisheyes.

I have never had a desire to shoot fisheyes myself.

Bryan Peterson has a nice fisheye image of a supertanker in his book How To See Creatively (or some such), which you might like. It is much more representational, for one.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 AM   #74
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC

Of course, Jim, like what you want. Especially with this sort of thing, there is no standard of better, more than most sorts of shots it's a matter of taste. But I would enjoy seeing shots that you think are good uses of fisheyes.
I'll keep my eyes open for one...or two. I seem to recall seeing one recently on railpics that was quite nice. But overall, I rarely see one that really moves me. To me it's just a gimmicky style that really needs a strong composition to make it work, IMO.

I'll keep my eyes open for that book, too.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #75
Arne H. B.

Here's one for you Jim, I think it is a fisheye or else a very wide angle shot. I remember the day it was accepted, from the thumbnail I thought somebody really wasn't paying attention it's so unlevel! Looking closer though it's something else, and I think it turned out okay.
Image © Swami -- swamiphoto.homeip.net
PhotoID: 198154
Photograph © Swami -- swamiphoto.homeip.net
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote