Old 01-15-2017, 03:00 AM   #1
coborn35

Default Too dark on a rain shot?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...70&key=4851270

Looking for thoughts on this one. I like it personally, because of what I endured getting it, and I am wondering if brightening it any more than I have will spoil the doom and gloom feel I think it has?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Looking at the image I can understand what you might have gone through to get it. And it is not a bad image. Good composition (maybe a touch too tight on the bottom), the bright headlights provide a focal point, and appropriately moody. But it is very dark. I generally like moody shots, so I probably would have let it in. But I can understand why it was rejected. If you have room on the original, you might add a bit more space at the bottom and try lightening it up a bit, and if you like the result try resubmitting on appeal with an explanation of your changes. Unfortunately what you endured getting doesn't count!
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
KevinM

Perhaps this shot does need a little brightening, but what it really needs is for the shadows to be opened up. The screener's issue is clearly with the numerous dark areas that show little or no detail. These include the trucks, the cab windshields, the couplers, etc. If, instead of shooting this, you had just stood there and watched the train go by, paying close attention to detail, I think that there was enough light for your eyes to see the details in these areas. The photographic representation of that scene needs to show some of this detail. Of course, you will need to be careful doing this. Depending on what camera you used, the result might be the appearance of noise.

Anyway, I agree with John about the shot being tight on the bottom...and maybe just a little tight all around. Another technical point is that a slightly slower shutter speed might have produced just a little blur in the rain and it look a little more like a falling rain. I have discovered through experience that using fast shutter speeds in the rain makes your photo look more like a dust storm than a falling rain. I have a photo of a steam engine in a deluge from years ago that I don't dare show anyone. The conditions were quite dramatic, but the shutter speed that I used was so high that there was no blur at all in the large rain drops. It looks more like a $%&* storm than a rain storm.

Edit: Here's an example that shows the level of shadow detail and rain blur that can be achieved with the right camera settings, processing....and luck! When all is said and done, if the shot still gets rejected, you probably didn't add enough luck.

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 583330
Photograph © Kevin Madore

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 01-15-2017 at 02:32 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

Yeah, no...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
RobJor

Too Dark and going away, not even a circus train exception but not too surprised.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...52&key=1697935

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...56&key=3583563

Bob Jordan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Railpics-02.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	803.9 KB
ID:	9351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Railpics-03.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	793.6 KB
ID:	9352  
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Yeah, no...
Thanks for your helpful advice!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Maybe something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinkeredversion1000.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	811.0 KB
ID:	9353  
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
bigbassloyd

If you could squeeze out a little more information from the plow and running gear, it could help.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Too Dark and going away, not even a circus train exception but not too surprised.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...56&key=3583563

Bob Jordan
Going away circus train shot, you say?

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 251892
Photograph © Jim Thias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Thanks for your helpful advice!
Yeah he does this a lot, makes a vague comment that doesn't actually contribute to the conversation or anyone's ability to learn and improve.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote