Old 03-12-2016, 12:35 AM   #26
AmtrakFan1093

Here's my edit of the photo. Note to readers: this is not from a the RAW but the jpeg off this site, hence some image quality. But it shows the utility of boosting color to get some effects in the smoke. These could be intensified by using a brush in photoshop, whatever edition you happen to have, to work on the smoke without altering the snow, or vice versa. This is not better or worse than the other guy's edit, just another idea, that has some different merits. I cropped out that tree because I don't think it was helping, for example. I don't have photoshop so I couldn't get in there and fix the blown out sky like you could easily do wiht the raw and the ability to work on just that area selectively with curves. So disregard that. Let your eye be drawn to the general composition and tonalities. Especially not the two colors to the smoke. That could be a useful area to exploit for artistic effects.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	to_5556.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	840.7 KB
ID:	9115  

Last edited by AmtrakFan1093; 03-12-2016 at 12:41 AM.
AmtrakFan1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #27
Moffat Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmtrakFan1093 View Post
…I cropped out that tree because I don't think it was helping, for example.…
I think the tree is an integral part of the composition, effectively framing the image on the left side. Just my two cents worth…

Mike
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #28
Noct Foamer

I agree the tree helps to balance the "heavy" right side of the image.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:36 AM   #29
AmtrakFan1093

Now that you mention it the tree does seem to balance the composition. Good call.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:50 AM   #30
JRMDC

Yup, the tree is definitely a keeper. As for your other thoughts, AmtrakFan, we have differing tastes! but I am nonetheless grateful for your thoughts.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #31
AmtrakFan1093

Thanks JRMDC. Yes the tree is nice balance but I was just looking at the original rejection and it does say composition. I can only think they are referring to the tree. So here's another swing at this trying to eliminate the tree. Had to eliminate that beautiful top most branch to really de-empathize the tree and not have that "where's the tre feeling, you know?

Re-reading your earlier posts I see you are not interested in processing the s--- out of this image so I appreciate that.

There's certainly something about that backlit steam just above the snow that really makes this image special.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	to_5558.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	670.3 KB
ID:	9116  

Last edited by AmtrakFan1093; 03-12-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #32
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Jim, I should have waited for you! That's a really interesting take. I'm not sure I agree with what was done, it might be a bit too big a step from the scene I remember. But I see its attractions. I redid it also, and got this:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=3320166

Notice the rejection - I've never seen this before, but note that I don't upload that often and don't repeat on one shot as often as I did here. On the other hand I've never seen a message like this discussed in the forum. I got a personal message, a very helpful one - kudos to the screener. The relevant sentence:
They should give this rejection more often! Instead of the poor image quality rejection which is the fallback "don't repost this; stop working on this image; we don't care what changes you make you will be banned if you post this again; give us some other images not this one" rejection.

Simply tell the content peon that she will not be able to fix a problem, in the screener's view, and request no more resubmission.

Now that I know that was an option all along for these jokers, I am a little disappointed they haven't been doing this.

What's wrong with respect for your content serfs?
Old 03-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #33
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmtrakFan1093 View Post

Here's my edit of the photo. Note to readers: this is not from a the RAW but the jpeg off this site, hence some image quality. But it shows the utility of boosting color to get some effects in the smoke. These could be intensified by using a brush in photoshop, whatever edition you happen to have, to work on the smoke without altering the snow, or vice versa. This is not better or worse than the other guy's edit, just another idea, that has some different merits. I cropped out that tree because I don't think it was helping, for example. I don't have photoshop so I couldn't get in there and fix the blown out sky like you could easily do wiht the raw and the ability to work on just that area selectively with curves. So disregard that. Let your eye be drawn to the general composition and tonalities. Especially not the two colors to the smoke. That could be a useful area to exploit for artistic effects.

Let me know what you think!
Ummmm... this site doesn't like color casts, nor square crops. And it's pretty resistant to change as well.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #34
AmtrakFan1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Ummmm... this site doesn't like color casts, nor square crops. And it's pretty resistant to change as well.
I must be INSANE in the MEMBRANE!!!

Still look at that green bridge!!! Gotta get that poppin'!