Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default 6D on sale

I'm not in the market, but I am impressed by some current pricing. Amazon has the 6D for $1415, $2084 when combined with the 24-105.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,980
Default

The 6D has outstanding image quality and the whole package is superb for the serious amateur. That is a great price and unlikely you will see it again until next year
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
sd9
Senior Member
 
sd9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I'm not in the market, but I am impressed by some current pricing. Amazon has the 6D for $1415, $2084 when combined with the 24-105.
Speaking of being in the market, how do you know when it's time to replace your camera? I'm not talking about replacing it for bells and whistles, more like what's the first things that start happening to it or what starts degrading?

and as far as some of these new models coming out, can't they just make one that the cost is in the quality of an actual camera and not items like taking video, GPS, Wi-Fi? On the 6D, one review says you can drain the battery if you leave it on because it's always searching for a signal, do ya really need this stuff?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Speaking of being in the market, how do you know when it's time to replace your camera? I'm not talking about replacing it for bells and whistles, more like what's the first things that start happening to it or what starts degrading?
I have no idea, which on the internet means that I can pretend that I do. As far as I can tell most people replace the camera only because they want to, for improved image quality or features or what have you. I would think that the shutter is the only mechanical feature and so when it starts to act up, you replace, or when you get to the expected life of the shutter (150k clicks?) you replace preemptively. Even then, you can choose to get it repaired.

Quote:
and as far as some of these new models coming out, can't they just make one that the cost is in the quality of an actual camera and not items like taking video, GPS, Wi-Fi? On the 6D, one review says you can drain the battery if you leave it on because it's always searching for a signal, do ya really need this stuff?
I believe you can turn off the GPS and avoid that problem, but I am not sure. But it isn't so easy to get only basics in a bells and whistles world. And the choice of basics is sometimes less than desired, for example, from what I read the 6D has a noticeably poorer autofocus performance than the5D3, and the FPS is slower.

But the upgrade to the 5D3 is $1000, itself much more than I have ever paid for a camera body.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
wds
Senior Member
 
wds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Speaking of being in the market, how do you know when it's time to replace your camera? I'm not talking about replacing it for bells and whistles, more like what's the first things that start happening to it or what starts degrading?
Never had a shutter go on me but have had a sensor crap out. Very easy to tell, pictures look like a bad acid trip!
__________________
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,980
Default

Like any camera ever made, things will eventually break and it will not work as it is supposed to. At that point you make the judgement as to get it repaired or not.

My 40D had a $150 shutter button issue covered under warranty. Jim Thais has a 5D1 in need of a $500 repair of sensor and screen. You can make the judgment call to get new or not.

At the moment I have two 40D's and I am not particularly missing the cool features of the new camera's like the 70D, 6D or 5D Mk III.

Here is a big secret revealed: camera makers make a living by selling new cameras.

There, I said it.

Thus, to keep making a living, they have to get you to buy new cameras and they try to do so by coming up with new features to entice you to part with your hard earned cash.

Another big secret: they aim for different price points. That is, they figure out at what dollar point you can or will pay for certain items. So it is a recipe: they add in the features that will attract at you a certain price point. subtract features that they save for the higher priced camera that will make you feel motivated to buy those.

I feel that while Canon probably could make a 6D do all what the 5D Mk III can do, the reality is, who would buy the higher cost camera? Thus they "cripple" the lower price camera by subtracting features they might have easily included.

For instance, the 5D Mk III and the the 6D share the same excellent sensor yet on the 6D, it's video has moire issues. While this is no big deal for Dad or amateur filmmakers, this makes it worthless for professionals who do not want the CEO's suit to go crazy looking. Or another example, on the 5D Mk III, until recently you could not get a full video signal out of it to go to an external recorder to get the best video image quality possible. I am sure Canon did this because they did not want to cut into the business for their more expensive camcorder line.

And BTW, you can turn off the 6D's GPS, and while yes it has fewer focus points the center one is more sensitive than any on the 5D Mk III so it's even better at low light focusing.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
and while yes it has fewer focus points the center one is more sensitive than any on the 5D Mk III so it's even better at low light focusing.
That's the one thing to me that is so infuriating about the 5d I have, it's focus outside of the center point sucks ass. They might as well not have even implemented them. Even for taking pictures of stationary objects.

It's AI-Servo is lacking too, but I can live without that.

So by reading what you say, the 6d is better at focusing than the 5d3?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,980
Default

"Better" depends on what you and the job needs. I would say most photographers prefer more points so the 5D Mk III is probably better for them.

The 6D has far fewer points and that upset many potential users. (Canon is doing some crippling here) However, as I said, it's center point is more sensitive than any on the 5D Mk III and thus better in low light or night shooting which I do a lot of.

I use center point 95% of the time to select the place I want the focus then turn off AF since I fear the camera selecting the wrong point when the train is coming. For people like me then, the 6D focusing should be better then the 5D Mk III's.

I have used the 5D Mk III but not the 6D.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
"Better" depends on what you and the job needs. I would say most photographers prefer more points so the 5D Mk III is probably better for them.

The 6D has far fewer points and that upset many potential users. (Canon is doing some crippling here) However, as I said, it's center point is more sensitive than any on the 5D Mk III and thus better in low light or night shooting which I do a lot of.
I use the outer points at times with my 40d, which is nice to be able to do. Even when in AI-Servo mode they work fairly well. On the 5d, you are forced to use center point, which you can make work pretty well, but it's nice to have working outer focus points.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I use the outer points at times with my 40d, which is nice to be able to do. Even when in AI-Servo mode they work fairly well. On the 5d, you are forced to use center point, which you can make work pretty well, but it's nice to have working outer focus points.
I would say the 5D is better for you then.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
wds
Senior Member
 
wds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 793
Default

I rarely use the center point on either the 5D MkII or the 40D and don't notice any problems with focus, always use the outer ones. Now I realize I'm as blind as a bat, but apparently the screeners don't notice any either so I'm fairly certain they're not all out of focus. The few shots I do get rejected for blurry or whatever have identifiable motion or lens problems when I check over them with my big magnifying glass. I have a problem with my 100-400 lens these days but that is because it sustained one more drop onto the rocks than it could bear. Now the focusing motor can't move the element and it's hard to do it by hand also. Even then, when the autofocus does lock on something and light up a focusing point, it's actually in focus.
__________________
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

All I want is a shutter that goes to 1/500 and a great sensor. The rest I can take care of myself.
__________________
Now with Flickr!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
I rarely use the center point on either the 5D MkII or the 40D and don't notice any problems with focus, always use the outer ones.
Very good W.D. It's about what works best for you.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

You people ("what do you mean by, 'you people'?" ) who use other points than the center, is that when using your camera on a tripod? If handheld, why would you use anything other than just the center?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.