Old 11-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
JRMDC

Default Adobe Lightroom 4 $99

Amazon calls it a Black Friday price, but on B&H it is simply an "instant savings" price.

Which leads to a question, can one get by with LR as one's only software, or are there important things that can't be done in it? My sense is no, one needs something else also for the occasional fine adjustments and corrections.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi J,

Thanks for the heads-up. I might just upgrade from 3.6, or whatever version it is that I have.....I'll have to check.

The answer to your question....based on my experience with 3.6....is NO, you will need other tools besides. My biggest complaint about LR is the cloning tools. They are not well suited for anything other than really easy jobs, like dust removal. If you have a shot that has a piece of some video-foamer's equipment in it (a common hazard for steam shooters and charter patrons), and you need to make that go away, LR will not be terribly helpful. PSE has far better cloning and healing tools than LR does. Perhaps that has changed in V4....don't know.

Still, I consider LR to be far easier to use than PSE because I can mess with a shot until the cows come home and never have to save anything. If I want to back out a change, I just move the slider back where it was. It is far more convenient than PSE, which forces me to save (and lock in) changes at the end of a session. LR also allows me to take the changes that I made to one photo and use them as a starting point for another, similar photo....and I can do it with the press of a button. I can also make selective changes to exposure, contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc and I don't need to create layers to give me the ability to back them out. It keeps the size if the resulting images reasonable. Are there things I cannot do with LR that I could do with the full PS suite.....yeah, I suppose. I just haven't found a compelling need for any of them yet.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote