Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #76
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Oh I don't know but your right it's not like it was, A lot more fans have good cameras now so one isn't compelled to save history like it was in the 40-70's.
JEPG's can be saved after uploading to a tiff and discard the junk and all will be fine.
Exactly....and that's what I do. Those fine JPEGs have worked for me, though. I've had a cover on Trains, one on Railroads Illustrated, and at least four or five articles, all shot as JPEGs with a digital camera. I save what I think is worth it----copy the shots over and do any manipulation (levels or something like that), and save them as TIFs. That gets uploaded to the magazine---and then it's published. I've also had at least a dozen or more digital images in the various McMillan Publications wall calendars since I converted from film (at the end of 2004)---and I use the same process.

If I shot the same stuff in RAW----no one in the entire world would know the difference.

I honestly don't think much of what is being photographed today will exist in any retrievable format 40 or 50 years from now---for lots of technical and practical reasons. It's not like you'll be finding rare glass negatives from the 1880s in the future.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #77
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

JPEGs if you don't have to shoot RAW But for bad light or Night work one all most has to.
I shoot RAW most of the time but will switch to JPEG if I am going to a high frame rate and don't want to load my Buffer with big RAWs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #78
khalucha

I was a jpeg fan, but once I started to learn how to do minor raw post processing, I switched over to full raw. Yes, it take more room, but on the other had digital media is pretty cheap. I can get 300 pictures on 1 4 gig compact flash card. I have been able to save a lot more pictures that I like this way.

As for storage, I go through my pictures and keep the ones I like and delete the ones I do not. Once in a while I will burn (jpeg) the stuff I want to keep to a disk and put it to the side.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #79
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile RAW versus JPG

I shoot RAW. In a very few instances where I have underexposed, RAW has allowed me to save the image. But in the vast majority of situations I doubt that JPG versus RAW makes any difference in the final product.

I recently sold some images to a calendar publisher. The easiest way to transmit them to the publisher was for me to take my large post processing files (that end up as TIF files in my archives), convert them to smaller JPG fine files, and then I could simply attach them to an email. This was quick and dirty, but provided more than enough quality for calendar size images. The publisher simply said he would convert them back to TIF and take it from there. Some loss of data? Sure. But not enough to trouble a demanding publisher.

It's like a lot of the things that have been discussed in this thread. There are multiple ways to get from here to there, and achieve equivalent levels of quality.

On the other hand, I do enjoy the exchange of ideas, and they do cause me to try new things and sometimes even change my ways....even at my advanced age!

JBWX
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #80
Cameron A. Photography

Send a message via MSN to Cameron A. Photography

Just got the 5D Mk II, been using Manual settings on my T2i for a few months prior so clicking Manual on a 5D2 is pretty much the same, except now I'm working with 21mp and a CMOS/all-EF system.

You're using a 7D? Good choice, probably the best APS-C/EF-S setup you can get.

Here's a tip my good sir...use Manual settings. Manual settings, manual focus... all that jazz. It releases you from the constraints of having your DLSR find settings for you, and sometimes messing up your shots.

Manual man. Have faith in the M!

cam

The RP
The Flickr

Last edited by Cameron A. Photography; 12-02-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Cameron A. Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #81
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron A. Photography View Post
now I'm working with 21mp and a CMOS/all-EF system.

You're using a 7D? Good choice, probably the best APS-C/EF-S setup you can get.
cam
The 5D and the 7D are both CMOS.

The APS-C sized (22.3 x 14.9 mm) sensor 7D can take take all Canon EF mount lenses including EF-S. (Short focus)

The Full Frame sized (36 x 24 mm) sensor 5D can take all Canon EF lenses except EF-S.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #82
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron A. Photography View Post
Here's a tip my good sir...use Manual settings. Manual settings, manual focus... all that jazz. It releases you from the constraints of having your DLSR find settings for you, and sometimes messing up your shots.

Manual man. Have faith in the M!
Here's a tip my good sir...use semi-auto/auto settings. Semi-auto settings, auto focus... all that jazz. It releases you from the constraints of having to find settings for your DLSR, and sometimes messing up your shots or getting distracted by the exposure/focus process over the composition.

Semi-auto man. Have faith in the AF and the Av!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #83
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Here's a tip my good sir...use semi-auto/auto settings. Semi-auto settings, auto focus... all that jazz. It releases you from the constraints of having to find settings for your DLSR, and sometimes messing up your shots or getting distracted by the exposure/focus process over the composition.

Semi-auto man. Have faith in the AF and the Av!
I never realized it was so tough to roll the dial to pick a shutter speed. Man, some people must work up a sweat over that!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #84
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

AND you can use the real wheel. Isn't that GREAT?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #85
jnohallman

Isn't how one chooses to use a camera kind of like what kind of pictures a person chooses to shoot? Shouldn't it all come down to what they like and what works for them? As far as I can tell, the only "wrong" way to use a camera is to leave the lens cap on when you take a picture.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #86
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I've been using it in TV mode; and forcing the ISO. I've only been out once but I got this

Image © Greg Primrose
PhotoID: 381982
Photograph © Greg Primrose
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #87
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation Real Photographers Don't Turn Their Own Wheels.

I have an assistant that travels with me where ever I go and it is their job to turn the "wheel."

I just yell out f-stops and exposures - they do the heavy lifting.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #88
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I've been using it in TV mode; and forcing the ISO. I've only been out once but I got this
If it works for you fine but setting up a shots isn't hard and part of the fun the way I see it. Paramount to framing and getting in place for a photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #89
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
Isn't how one chooses to use a camera kind of like what kind of pictures a person chooses to shoot? Shouldn't it all come down to what they like and what works for them? As far as I can tell, the only "wrong" way to use a camera is to leave the lens cap on when you take a picture.

Jon
Very true. But I just laugh when I read how complicated it must be to use M, so let's let the camera do it. I don't know, maybe I'm a little jaded about the fact that it took me 20 years before the light went off in my head about how easy it is to use manual. 20 years of potential photography wasted because I didn't "get it." But then I was like, seriously? That's how easy it is?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #90
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Prior to the late 70's there was no Program Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
..... 20 years of potential photography wasted because I didn't "get it." But then I was like, seriously? That's how easy it is?
I think the first camera I used with auto settings was a Canon AE-1 (I still have it).

I remember that at the time, I thought that body really kicked butt and I enjoyed using it because you didn't need to fiddle with the light meter and the f-stop every time you want to take a picture.

It think nowadays everyone expects to use the easy button on everything, so people don't even think to shoot manual.

I blame Steve Jobs for that.

Apple was innovative at making technology easier to use and the world is a better place because of that.

Manual requires that the user be familiar with the equipment and skilled in it's use, rather than just pointing and shooting.

Additionally, each model of camera body is different, so it requires you to get a feel for the settings and there is a bit of a learning curve.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #91
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post

Manual requires that the user be familiar with the equipment and skilled in it's use, rather than just pointing and shooting.

Additionally, each model of camera body is different, so it requires you to get a feel for the settings and there is a bit of a learning curve.
Yes, there is a little learning curve for each individual body, but once you get to "know" it, you can pretty much shoot in manual like it's a point and shoot.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #92
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post

Image © Greg Primrose
PhotoID: 381982
Photograph © Greg Primrose
That's all good and well, but you do realize by doing this, it's going to auto-select your aperture. You end up with too shallow a depth of field and it ruins your shot...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #93
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
That's all good and well, but you do realize by doing this, it's going to auto-select your aperture. You end up with too shallow a depth of field and it ruins your shot...
The DOF in that particular shot looks fine to me.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #94
BenEPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
Jim, on the same note, why do they put JPEG in some of the higher end cameras as well? You would think it would be all RAW. Not to change subject here but a thought to ponder.
Because RAW takes longer to process and when you're on a deadline with media agencies or companies that need the photos fast and right now you have to shoot JPEG. So they leave it in for that reason.

I shoot other things more than I shoot trains.....
BenEPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #95
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Yes, there is a little learning curve for each individual body, but once you get to "know" it, you can pretty much shoot in manual like it's a point and shoot.
This is true.

Sort of like the old days.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #96
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb A Shout Out to Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
...Nick Benson.....
He who shall not be named.

Nick is busy reproducing, so he doesn't have time to hang out here.

Funny how that happens.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #97
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
The DOF in that particular shot looks fine to me.
I wasnt making reference to that specific show, just quoted him.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #98
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEPhoto View Post
Because RAW takes longer to process and when you're on a deadline with media agencies or companies that need the photos fast and right now you have to shoot JPEG. So they leave it in for that reason.
Totally understandable, but I'd still love a raw-only camera body to lower the cost of not having a jpg processing system in the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I wasnt making reference to that specific show, just quoted him.
Ah...I thought you may have been using that photo as an example.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #99
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Totally understandable, but I'd still love a raw-only camera body to lower the cost of not having a jpg processing system in the camera.

I dont think that would lower the cost one bit. Just like some people say they dont use video and would want a DSLR without video. Well, the money was spent on the R&D, at this point, adding some of these functions to DSLR's is a trivial thing, and it would not save you any money at all.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #100
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

My Nikon D700 also shoots TIFF files. They are larger than RAW but I don't know what the advantage is.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote