Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
moccreator

Default Looking for an answer

I was wondering why I received a rejection of "sun angle" in this shot. It's not sunny, nor the time of day when the sun is high.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=822871693

Thanks for your help!
moccreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Its the pore light part that got you, A lack of sun. It maybe just needs contrast? and some color added wouldn't hurt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
TJFarmer
Banned

Anytime after 11am to around 4:30pm on July 8th, shots like that should not be attempted. Escpecially when your playing hide and seek with the sun.

That railhead shadow tells the tale. I see a shadow all the way down the side. If you weren't in a high sun period, then the sun was hanging low, directly on the nose of that train. Or the sun was high in the sky.

What time was that image captured?
TJFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Poor lighting is what you need to take from the rejection reason. RP generally likes simple composition shots to be well lit by sunlight. The sky looks especially bright, and almost blown in spots, which hinders the image further.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by moccreator View Post
I was wondering why I received a rejection of "sun angle" in this shot. It's not sunny, nor the time of day when the sun is high.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=822871693

Thanks for your help!
This is a common scene that takes place several times every day. They want it in perfect light.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
...The sky looks especially bright, and almost blown in spots, which hinders the image further.

Loyd L.
There you go.

Now... it would've been easier to simply reject for "common power on a cloudy day". There is some appeal to the clouds, however. See if you can work on the overly bright spots of the image.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
moccreator

Does anyone think the cropping/composition could be improved as well?
moccreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
There you go.

Now... it would've been easier to simply reject for "common power on a cloudy day". There is some appeal to the clouds, however. See if you can work on the overly bright spots of the image.

/Mitch
and BTW the location is: Joliet, Union Station NOT Joliet Metra Station
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFarmer View Post
Anytime after 11am to around 4:30pm on July 8th, shots like that should not be attempted.
That's crazy talk. Take the shot. Just understand that getting it on RP is going to be hard if not next to impossible. What if they yank the train next week? Or is this specific train hits an 18 wheeler carrying haz mats an hour after this shot? Or if the photog moves away next month and this is the last time he gets to this location?

As far as the reject, a lot of people ciome here this time of year and complain that it's not high sun. OK. You win. Let's just say it's not high sun. It's a cloudy day shot of common power then. Still a rejection.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Kevin I went out and shot this cloudy rain shot, I gave it a .05% of getting in. I think it's a great photo but it's not what they need or want in a photo and wont make it in on appeal
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
So shoot what you like in the weather you want some will get in some wont. OK that didn't work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cn s 2626cfrain.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	810.3 KB
ID:	5647  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 07-23-2010 at 11:54 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
WembYard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moccreator View Post
Does anyone think the cropping/composition could be improved as well?
I was looking at that, 625 pixels is a little on the "narrow" side - something more like 1024 x 683 would be better. I would have done the same as you did and include the sign on the right hand side but, on reflection, there is too much dead space between it and the signal so the sign would have to go. You could also chop some off the left, up to the man on the seat's right elbow - but don't cut him in half! If you want to chop some more, then remove him completely.

I would crop from the left to just the other side of the seated person and remove him completely, crop the right between the spire and the other building to it's right and balance the picture up by cropping some off the bottom and a little less off the top. (Sorry, don't have a picture editing program on this computer so can't provide an example).

As other have pointed it out, the sky might well kill this one completely for RP but, remember - always take pictures for yourself, not RP or anybody else. I have loads of examples in my own collection where interesting trains just don't run when the light is right or turning up somewhere I might never go to again in less than perfect lighting conditions. I'll still take the photos because I enjoy photography and want a small memento.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's crazy talk. Take the shot. Just understand that getting it on RP is going to be hard if not next to impossible. What if they yank the train next week? Or is this specific train hits an 18 wheeler carrying haz mats an hour after this shot? Or if the photog moves away next month and this is the last time he gets to this location?
DITTO...DITTO...DITTO.

Shoot what you want, how you want. Just make sure you only submit what you think RP wants.