Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
KevinM

Default A Curious PEQ

Not sure what the problem is with this one, folks. It's not an amusement park, it's a bona-fide 2-foot railway museum we're looking at here.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=800313&key=0

Any ideas? I guess human interest is now PEQ. Perhaps I should start shooting diesel wedgies?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
JRMDC

It looks to be an amusement-y like use of the property. If it was just RR-ers doing their job, I presume it would get in. It just doesn't look like an operating RR.

I don't expect to be able to submit the shot someone took of me at Portola, years ago, operating a GP-9, either. On the other hand, a shot from inside the Smithsonian gets on, so a pure museum shot is not out of the question.

PS: in checking up on this operation, I ran across this cool shot

Image © Stephen Hussar
PhotoID: 295164
Photograph © Stephen Hussar

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 04-07-2010 at 02:26 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It looks to be an amusement-y like use of the property. If it was just RR-ers doing their job, I presume it would get in. It just doesn't look like an operating RR.
Hi J,

Well....what is the purpose of a museum? I suppose some would say it's a place for old fahts to reminisce about the good old days. My humble opinion is that museums exist to educate future generations. That certainly is one of the foundations of the WW&F. I humbly suggest that this shot is a long way from a bikini shot, or another pic of somebody's GF waving to a train. This shot was not staged, it was a grab really. I thought it had some human interest. I guess kids learning about railroading hands-on isn't that interesting to anyone but me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
PS: in checking up on this operation, I ran across this cool shot

Image © Stephen Hussar
PhotoID: 295164
Photograph © Stephen Hussar
The gentleman who shot that is a friend of mine. He's the museum's official Photographer and if you browse the archives, he has a great eye for a stunning shot.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
Mgoldman

Great color, nicely composed, interesting subject (narrow gauge handcar) - what's the problem? Maybe you need to add a Dash of 8-40CW?

If you're gonna let a building get in... and a museum display - even a lock, (and even horse poop) why not a narrow gauge handcar? Someone get out the RP by-laws - it's time for a meeting.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Well....what is the purpose of a museum? I suppose some would say it's a place for old fahts to reminisce about the good old days. My humble opinion is that museums exist to educate future generations. That certainly is one of the foundations of the WW&F. I humbly suggest that this shot is a long way from a bikini shot, or another pic of somebody's GF waving to a train. This shot was not staged, it was a grab really. I thought it had some human interest. I guess kids learning about railroading hands-on isn't that interesting to anyone but me.
You may find that all you need is to appeal with an explanation that this is a museum operation and so forth. Remember that screening is fast (will a screener necessarily read a caption that long when making a quick assessment?) and this does look like a toy, an amusement.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Missabefan

Group,

Well the shot is in. Congrats! Obviously an appeal was made and you won.

I figure I need a girl, a faded peach colored BNSF unit, some horse poop, a lock, and some rail maybe and I don't know what else as additional props and I will try to reshoot these old boxcars. They can't get in on their own.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=800136&key=0

Someday.

Missabefan
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missabefan View Post
Group,

Well the shot is in. Congrats! Obviously an appeal was made and you won.

I figure I need a girl, a faded peach colored BNSF unit, some horse poop, a lock, and some rail maybe and I don't know what else as additional props and I will try to reshoot these old boxcars. They can't get in on their own.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=800136&key=0

Someday.

Missabefan
Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Hi Missabefan,

I'm learning that when the photograph you submit does not include a train or obvious railroad activity, it is probably best to include a short note to the Screeners indicating exactly what the photo shows and why you believe it merits inclusion in the data base. As JRMDC indicated, I have a tendency to go overboard with captions and the Screeners don't have time to read those. I know for fact that the Screener last night booted my shot in just a couple of seconds, because I was monitoring the queue right at that moment. I suspect that he saw the kids and the narrow gauge tracks and thought: "Hmm....amusement park....not our kind of material." Given that the location depicted is in Maine, he's probably never been there. I had a pretty good hunch that if someone considered it for just a little longer, they'd find that it might be a reasonably popular shot.....and that IS what RP is all about....putting up photos that grab people's attention.

In this case, I felt good about the appeal because it was not a cheesy shot. There were no bikinis, and it wasn't staged. It was grab shot of some cute kids getting up close and personal with a part of their state's history.

My RP stuff is here.