Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #26
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I need to see a zoom pan of a dog chasing a train..

Loyd L.
I'm sure you could arrange something with the Sproul Mayor.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #27
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
The flexibility allowed by both of these pieces together has allowed me to get some shots that would have been impossible with a lower end setup (getting low to the ground, setting up on the side of a steep hill, having the neck out over a ledge, etc.). If you look at this shot, you'll see what I mean:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23527415@N07/4006750443/
I guess I'm blissfully ignorant but...couldn't you have gotten this shot without the tripod????
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #28
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
I guess I'm blissfully ignorant but...couldn't you have gotten this shot without the tripod????
Yes, and likely not as sharp.

Good glass, solid tripod, mirror up, remote switch are details to follow to get the sharpest images possible.

You won't see the difference on RP but you will in a large print.

(I think Nick also did it on a tripod because he couldn't stand where he wanted without falling down the cliff.)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #29
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I love to dislike tripods. But what I do like is a carbon fiber tripod I got used, light and stiff and sets up fast. I don't know the brand as it's an off brand and the silk screen rubbed off. Carbon fiber cost to much new but this one was priced right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #30
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post

(I think Nick also did it on a tripod because he couldn't stand where he wanted without falling down the cliff.)
Wouldn't two steps to the right of where Nick's friend took his shot produce the identical angle??

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #31
Dennis A. Livesey

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Wouldn't two steps to the right of where Nick's friend took his shot produce the identical angle??
Oh, you know artists, go figure.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #32
KevinM

Quote:
At the Ford, I walked up to the most official person I could find at the entrance to ask if I could use a tripod. You could have bowled me over with her "Yes!" answer.

So, I'm there, taking shots on my tripod of 1601 and a friendly, senior age security guard came up to talk. I told I had permission and he said smiled and said "Sure, go ahead, we don't mind!"

A little while later a paunchy middle management 30-something security guard comes by and give me a hard time. I told him I had asked permission from the front office. He went away saying I had to stop soon. Right behind him was the senior guy. He and I exchanged eye-rolls.

So yeah, I had to move fast!
I've tended to find that unless you need to trespass (go someplace you're not allowed) to get a shot, it's best not to bother asking permission. Generally speaking, when you ask someone at a park, museum or other public place, that person won't likely be able to quote the official rules or policies. Rather than get hooked by their boss later for being the guy/gal who gave out permission, they'll give you the safe answer: NO! Unless there's a big sign that says: NO PHOTOGRAPHY, or something similar, go shoot. If someone asks you to stop, you can always sound apologetic as hell and leave. At least you'll walk away with something.

WRT The Ford, my logic was that I paid (dearly) to be there. I just threw my Manfrotto over my shoulder and walked in. I shot for nearly 2 hrs in there during the high sun hours and no one said boo to me the entire time. They have some beautiful stuff in The Ford. I just wish I had bought my 10-24mm before I went there. The RR stuff is packed pretty tightly.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #33
Dennis A. Livesey

Thumbs down

In the past year, the human interaction thing has been working on the big plus side for me so I will continue.

It's the middle management types trying to make their bones that are the most annoying.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #34
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
At the Ford, I walked up to the most official person I could find at the entrance to ask if I could use a tripod. You could have bowled me over with her "Yes!" answer.

So, I'm there, taking shots on my tripod of 1601 and a friendly, senior age security guard came up to talk. I told I had permission and he said smiled and said "Sure, go ahead, we don't mind!"

A little while later a paunchy middle management 30-something security guard comes by and give me a hard time. I told him I had asked permission from the front office. He went away saying I had to stop soon. Right behind him was the senior guy. He and I exchanged eye-rolls.

So yeah, I had to move fast!
Interesting story, Dennis! Thanks for sharing. I've had my fair share of experiences with people telling me to leave, or simply, informing me that railroad photogaphy is bad.

Ignoring is the best reaction, I've found.

Chase
Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Standing as close to the edge as I was was questionable, safety wise. Moving close enough to produce the angle for the resulting photo would have been impossible:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #36
Ween

Quote:
Standing as close to the edge as I was was questionable, safety wise. Moving close enough to produce the angle for the resulting photo would have been impossible:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
For me, the difference in angle between needing the tripod and not needing the tripod wouldn't even come close to justifying the multi-hundred dollar tripod expense. Different strokes though...
Old 01-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #37
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
For me, the difference in angle between needing the tripod and not needing the tripod wouldn't even come close to justifying the multi-hundred dollar tripod expense. Different strokes though...
Setup inches above the ground:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Same idea of having the neck stretch out horizontally to get over a ledge/fence:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

As Ween said though, different styles of photography have different needs. If you use a tripod for more than 10% of your shots, or really dig being able to refine and fine tune your composition, than there's no doubt in my mind that something above the typical "big box" class tripod is worth it.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #38
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I guess you can always take a few tree branches and screw them together and add a camera mount to the top. That should be able to do what a cheaper tripod can do. Ween is your pine or oak? j/k lol
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #39
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
I guess you can always take a few tree branches and screw them together and add a camera mount to the top. That should be able to do what a cheaper tripod can do. Ween is your pine or oak? j/k lol
Thats how we do it in West Virginia, except we use duct tape to connect the branches.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #40
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

For tripods in NYC, we use cyclone fencing posts wrapped with razor wire...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #41
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Ha ha ha. The money I would have spent on a tripod went into a lens with IS [/does not shoot at night, indoors, inches from the ground, or hanging out over a cliff]
Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #42
JimThias

Quote:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
So, what you're saying is, if your friend had taken a step or two to the right to produce the same exact angle as you were getting by stretching your tripod out there, he would have fallen down the cliff? Was there a big hole between you and him and you had to do kind of a big U-shape to get from where he was standing to were you were standing? I'm really curious...seriously.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #43
FAdams

If you are interested I have a Bogen 3021BPRO leg set with an 804RC2 3 way head on it that I have not used in some time. If you are interested I will sell it to you. Check your FB inbox for more contact info.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #44
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAdams View Post
If you are interested I have a Bogen 3021BPRO leg set with an 804RC2 3 way head on it that I have not used in some time. If you are interested I will sell it to you. Check your FB inbox for more contact info.
Franklin,

I was just about to reply to your message. If you're on Facebook, I'll catch up with you on there.

Chase