Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
I have nothing against him or any of the screeners, I just have an issue with how this photo fits the sites guidelines.
Your series of posts, now compiled by Joe, is not just a challenge to accuracy of screening, it is a challenge to the integrity. It is one thing to say you don't much care for certain types of shots that the site accepts (or rejects). I certainly do, at times! It is entirely a different thing to say the site plays favorites with individuals. That is what I object to.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
WMHeilman

I've heard of certain instances of screeners "playing" with people, but it's never happened to me, so I have no idea.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking These threads are way more fun.

Quote:
Jesus Christ...

I never once ragged on the picture. In fact, I said it was a great picture! The way I see it, it doesn't have enough railroad-related influence to be on the site. If we didn't know any better, those streaks of light could be a truck on a highway! ...........................
I agree, this photo had about a 98% chance of drawing a PEQ were it submitted by someone else.

Sure it is a nice photo of a bridge (apparently not even a railroad bridge) but does it really belong on this Site?

Well of course, it is here is it not - and that is just the end of it.

Take it for what it is worth.

Now as for calling people out, why not?

Remember "the paper?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It is entirely a different thing to say the site plays favorites with individuals. That is what I object to.
Is that not the elephant in the room that we all know is there and choose not to talk about?

Bottom line, I am a guest here and I know I am a guest, so I don't complain about the way the chips fall.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 09-18-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Is that not the elephant in the room that we all know is there and choose not to talk about?

Bottom line, I am a guest here and I know I am a guest, so I don't complain about the way the chips fall.
Well, what I know, from what has been reported in this forum (and Wyatt's sources sounds very much like chatter at railside, just does not sound reliable) is that screeners submit their shots, they are screened by someone other than themselves, and screener shots are sometimes rejected.

I don't know whether any particular screener will see "Chase Gunnoe" and be more lenient or not. Just as I don't know whether a screener is more lenient when they see the name "Jean-Marc Frybourg." Sure, there have been suspicions, and individual shots have been called out on this forum before. My view is that there isn't a pattern here suggesting lack of integrity. Does a biased or less critical screen happen sometimes, with individual shots? I suppose it can. But I read the call-out here as suggesting a larger pattern of bias in favor of or opposed to individuals with respect to many shots, and I see no evidence of that. One shot does not make a pattern. Someone like Wyatt may be predisposed to make it into a pattern, but one shot just doesn't make a pattern! By definition! And I don't see other shots here, so I see no reason to conclude there is a pattern whereby, say, Chase gets marginal shots on and, say, a non-screener like Alex Ramos, does not.

Image © Alex Ramos
PhotoID: 244623
Photograph © Alex Ramos

My guess? Sometimes a shot is cool and the screener says "yes." Just a response to a cool shot.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Quote:
I've heard of certain instances of screeners "playing" with people, but it's never happened to me, so I have no idea.
Yeah, you hear that from one side. We all hear those anti-RP moaners and groaners who don't understand why their shots are never approved. And then when you see those shots, it's usually pretty clear why they weren't approved.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #31
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Yeah, you hear that from one side. We all hear those anti-RP moaners and groaners who don't understand why their shots are never approved. And then when you see those shots, it's usually pretty clear why they weren't approved.
Uh, no. I hear that from both sides. I have a close friend who has many shots on the site who has told me about certain instances of being messed with by screeners.

Why is it that you seem to know so much about me? Mainly you thinking you know exactly how I think?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #32
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Why is it that you seem to know so much about me? Mainly you thinking you know exactly how I think?
When have I said that?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #33
jnohallman

Quote:
. . . .has told me about certain instances of being messed with by screeners.
Messed with in what regard? And told after the fact by the screener "Hey, sorry for the hassle. I was just messing with you?" Absent that kind of statement, or any details, it still sounds more like an accusation than a statement of fact. Lots of us have had shots that we keep having to rework over and over again before they're accepted - is that being "messed with"?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #34
ARandall70

Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70

Would it be a good idea that the photographer data not be attatched to a photo unless it is accepted? I don't see why it should be. Maybe it is already like that, I don't know. But then there would never be any concern about favorites, and it would eliminate the people who feel like they never have photos accepted because of who they are.

I've had other gripes in the past, but I've never felt that the screeners have compromised the integrity of the site. Even though I know people that feel that way.

Last edited by ARandall70; 09-18-2012 at 09:26 PM.
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #35
WMHeilman

Quote:
When have I said that?
You keep making assumptions about me in your posts.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #36
PLEzero

Quote:
You do realize there is a train under the bridge streaking through the shot, right?

Looks like car headlamps to me...
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #37
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
Looks like car headlamps to me...
Which is which?

Loyd L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NRGNightSwirl.jpg (687.1 KB, 335 views)

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #38
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandall70 View Post
Would it be a good idea that the photographer data not be attatched to a photo unless it is accepted? I don't see why it should be.
Because if you are running a business you can't afford to run off your best customers!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #39
magicman_841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Because if you are running a business you can't afford to run off your best customers!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #40
khalucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Which is which?

Loyd L.
Well if I had to guess, after looking at the picture for a minute or two, I would say the bottom is the train. 2 reasons. 1 the top drops down on to much of and angle to be a train. 2 it appears to be a tunnel to the back of the bottom streaks along the wood line.

Just my 2 cents.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #41
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink For the Crazy Tiger.

WARNING - SERIOUS BITCHFEST GOING ON IN THE RP FORUMS!

Hey Peter.....

Are ya happy yet?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #42
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Well, what I know, from what has been reported in this forum (and Wyatt's sources sounds very much like chatter at railside, just does not sound reliable) is that screeners submit their shots, they are screened by someone other than themselves, and screener shots are sometimes rejected.

I don't know whether any particular screener will see "Chase Gunnoe" and be more lenient or not. Just as I don't know whether a screener is more lenient when they see the name "Jean-Marc Frybourg." Sure, there have been suspicions, and individual shots have been called out on this forum before. My view is that there isn't a pattern here suggesting lack of integrity. Does a biased or less critical screen happen sometimes, with individual shots? I suppose it can. But I read the call-out here as suggesting a larger pattern of bias in favor of or opposed to individuals with respect to many shots, and I see no evidence of that. One shot does not make a pattern. Someone like Wyatt may be predisposed to make it into a pattern, but one shot just doesn't make a pattern! By definition! And I don't see other shots here, so I see no reason to conclude there is a pattern whereby, say, Chase gets marginal shots on and, say, a non-screener like Alex Ramos, does not.

Image © Alex Ramos
PhotoID: 244623
Photograph © Alex Ramos

My guess? Sometimes a shot is cool and the screener says "yes." Just a response to a cool shot.
At least we can tell it's a train in that photo compared to a night shot with just boring old streaks. . .

Rather see 3 point headlights way in the far far distance vs. a night photo that features an overshot bridge (still cool either way) and a train streak in the corner of the photo.

Last edited by IHapsias; 09-19-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #43
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
At least we can tell it's a train in that photo...
How so? I can't see a train in that photo. I do, however, see a beautifully captured sky over a cityscape. But, we've been down this road before....

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote