Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #1
Gordon Graham

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon Graham Send a message via MSN to Gordon Graham
Default Unlevel rejection, need commnts.

Hello, may I have your comments on this rejection ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=759936&key=0

It is a must to get a unlevel problem everytime I upload a shot from this location, and everytime I have to explain a lot and a lot. This is an edited version, rotate 1 degree to the left, after the first rejection appeal.

It is an super elevated curve as all of you may see that and the train is descending. I used the milestone at the bottom left and the newly installed sliver fence at the very right edge to check the level of the photo. Both two objects are showing that the photo isn't unlevel. The electric wire poles at the back are not really vertical without leanning, so it is absolutely a wrong indicator. I don't know what other objects are used in checking the level of this shot.

For reference, past accepted shot with similar angle.
Image © Gordon Graham
PhotoID: 137315
Photograph © Gordon Graham

Image © Gordon Graham
PhotoID: 256134
Photograph © Gordon Graham

Also , the same train and location with different angle.

Thank you!!

Last edited by Gordon Graham; 12-11-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Gordon Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Have you considered shooting further down the line where there is no super-elevation...

In a situation as such, I'd simply appeal and state what seems obvious - simply: "The image is level - please note the following: The centenary poles, the fact the the rail is super-elevated and the levelness of the steps to the right".

I suppose as obvious as it appears, it may have been overlooked. I had a photo in the snow rejected for dust sensor spots which were invisible to me until they were pointed out by a friend at which point that was all I could see.

Good luck - it's a wild shot.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Gordon Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Have you considered shooting further down the line where there is no super-elevation...
Thanks for your comment. I would like to talk about this point (just my opinion, please don't mind).

First I hope to have more locations to shoot trains too, but there is Hong Kong which even smaller than a dust on a map... Our railway would be a microorganism, surrounded by tall buildings...

Second, I feel very boring to shoot trains at stations. However other than stations, where can I shoot trains without backlit problem?.. without blocked by the poles, the fences, the buildings, the slopes and the highways? Only this location, with the super-elevated curve, can give me a kind of different in my train shots. This is also why I tried to upload on RP.net.

Last edited by Gordon Graham; 12-11-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
espeekiwi

take a builders level on a tripod and have it frame the very bottom edge of the photo then send them the raw image and the cropped image then they should post up the cropped image.
espeekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Even if you line it up with the Cat pole, it is about .5 deg CCW rotation away from being level. The milepost will look worse, but it is what it is...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
Gordon Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Even if you line it up with the Cat pole, it is about .5 deg CCW rotation away from being level. The milepost will look worse, but it is what it is...
0.5 degree.. I don't really think it is very important and it should be acceptable since we are not "making" a perfect jpg file and send to RP.net.

..And basically I have said before, the poles at the left are not level at all and are leanning to the right for 1-2 degrees, that's what you only know when you are in that location. Still, I would try to rotate the photo according to your opinion and try it again. Thank you!

Last edited by Gordon Graham; 12-12-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

The shot you're trying toget in looks almost exactly like one you compared it too that's already in.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Ron Flanary

It's fine as is. You should resubmit it and place a note for the screeners to please note the one VERTICAL component that's placed at a 45 degree angle to the ground (the milepost, lower left) is standing straight up.

If you screw around with the shot to appease them, I think you'll just trash an otherwise excellent image.

It's not good to prostitute yourself for no good reason just for the sake of acceptance.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Gordon Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The shot you're trying toget in looks almost exactly like one you compared it too that's already in.
Yes I agree with you, however my point is that this shot is much better than that in the database (which got in 3 years ago) and I think it is worth to submit it.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
Gordon Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
It's fine as is. You should resubmit it and place a note for the screeners to please note the one VERTICAL component that's placed at a 45 degree angle to the ground (the milepost, lower left) is standing straight up.

If you screw around with the shot to appease them, I think you'll just trash an otherwise excellent image.

It's not good to prostitute yourself for no good reason just for the sake of acceptance.
That's what I said when I upload it, and finally it is still a unlevel rejection.