Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
domi

Default New member presentation

Hi there!

I'm Dominique, 46, a new member from the "stinkin' cheese eater country", France. My primary center of interrest (and my way of life earning) is aviation. I work as a pilot and I'm the happy owner of a light twin-seater I'm used to flying when I'm not on duty. I'm also a jazz, rock and blues fanatic, as well as a fond of skiing and diving.

But owing to once frequent lay-overs in the US (L.A. and Las Vegas areas) I became a north-american railroad fanatic. I got back to modelrailroading as well, after I dropped the hobby as a late teenager, but that time with a focus to US and mexican railroads. I'm using Z scale (1:220) and currently working on a small layout showing a freelanced shortline that should be within California and Nevada. And I've plans for a future project, still with Z scale, that will show a prototype branchline that is actually located in Yucatan, between Merida and Valladolid, Mexico. For that purpose I'm beginning to repaint some pieces of my motive power and rolling stock from US railroads into the paintscheme of the mexican company that operates the line, Ferrocarril Del Istmo De Tehuantepec.

About railfan pictures I'm lucky enough to be able to take shots in various countries of the world when I have spare time during my lay-overs. Many in the US, Canada and Mexico, but also Cuba, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Thailand, Jordan and even some in France, although I'm not an european railroad fanatic (too much passenger oriented and too many electric operations, that are not my primary interrest). Unfortunately I've only one shot featured in Railpictures as most of mine have been rejected. If you want to see my pictures of interresting areas such as Yucatan or Dominican Republic, I download them in Railimages and rrpicturerarchives as well.

But as my goal is mainly to be published here, I will ask you some questions about photography in the future, in order to increase my chances not to have my shots rejected here.

Dom
domi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

Welcome, Dom... your position offers some great opportunities that I think many of us would love to have. Glad to have you aboard and hope we can help if you have any specific questions on specific images.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Vary light oriented. Need great light to get photos in over most other things. Midmorning to late afternoon is out in the summer, Light and shadows just don't allow a good shot 95% of the time. Planning a shoot for light and background is paramount and a nice train helps to!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
domi

Thanks for the input Folks. About lighting I know it can be a drawback but when you're chasing trains on a railroad that sees only two trains a week each way and located at 8000 km from home, it's not that easy!

Dom
domi is offline   Reply With Quote