Old 02-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
amtrakboy

Default Distracting Shadows?

Guys,

I have here a photo that was rejected for "distracting shadows," as well as being overexposed. I find it easy enough to darken it to correct for overexposure, yet do not understand the "distracting shadows" rejection, particularly since there are no harsh shadows on the train itself. All suggestions/comments appreciated..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=336063
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
Guys,

I have here a photo that was rejected for "distracting shadows," as well as being overexposed. I find it easy enough to darken it to correct for overexposure, yet do not understand the "distracting shadows" rejection, particularly since there are no harsh shadows on the train itself. All suggestions/comments appreciated..

I have to wonder here if the distracting shadows was a mistake for "bad cropping" as there seems to be a bit much space on the left.

As for overexposure, this is one area where I am inexperienced. What are some others' opinions on the appearance of an overexposed photo, and whether or not this photo of William's is or not?

~Louis Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
Guys,

The small trees on the left are casting shadows all over the engine, as well as the front part of the first car.

As far as the exposure, you may be able to tone that down a bit, but just looking at it, I might think some elements are not going to be recovered.

Anyway, exposure or not, I think the shadows are the killer on this one, and there is not much you can do about that, aside from getting a chainsaw and giving it another try.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
amtrakboy

Default Thanks guys!!

Thanks a million for the help!!! I am going to have another "shot" at it earlier in the day, and also am going to visit this location in the spring/summer when the days are a bit longer.
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
WembYard

I would be wary of returning in the summer as those bushes will have leaves on by then (unless they are dead) which would make the problem worse.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
jason15c

Default Summer return

If it is possible to stand on the other side of those offending bushes on the grass bank that is visible on the left of the shot, then I am sure you could bag a winner at this location. There is a large shadow in shot that looks like it is from a large tree (hitting the second car), but with the sun higher later in the year I can't see this interfering. Janet is right, once those bushes are in leaf, the problem of shadows will be much worse, unless you take the shot in head on light, but head on light always makes a shot look poor to me.

http://www.15c.co.uk
jason15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

The photo also looks either over compressed or over sharpened.

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote