Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
gregorygrice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 10
Default Uploading Suspension

About a week ago, my account received a suspension stating:

"This image appears to be an uncorrected resubmission of a previously rejected photo. You are welcome to reupload images as long as you have made improvements to them, but reuploading an uncorrected image is a violation of our user agreement. Please do not let this be a problem in the future."

The photo I re-uploaded was slightly more saturated from the original and maybe too slight to notice. I was told to email the site and did twice with no reply. I would really like my uploading privileges re-instated. Any other solution?
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,961
Default

Hi Greg,

When you did the re-submit, did you state in Notes to the Screener what you did to improve the photo? That's really key. The Screener can see your previous submission, but if he can't tell the difference, the result may be the rejection reason that you received.

With respect to the suspension, it usually takes something more than just one rejection, even for the reason stated above. What does your acceptance/rejection ratio look like? If you have one rejected for every half dozen or so submitted, the suspension would be a surprise. If you get one acceptance for every 10 you submit, then it may be that the rejection above was just the "last straw" in the Screener's opinion.

I wish I could offer you a lot of hope for having the suspension overturned, but we just don't hear many stories of that happening here on the forums. Did the suspension notice state how long you'd be sidelined?
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
gregorygrice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Greg,

When you did the re-submit, did you state in Notes to the Screener what you did to improve the photo? That's really key. The Screener can see your previous submission, but if he can't tell the difference, the result may be the rejection reason that you received.

With respect to the suspension, it usually takes something more than just one rejection, even for the reason stated above. What does your acceptance/rejection ratio look like? If you have one rejected for every half dozen or so submitted, the suspension would be a surprise. If you get one acceptance for every 10 you submit, then it may be that the rejection above was just the "last straw" in the Screener's opinion.

I wish I could offer you a lot of hope for having the suspension overturned, but we just don't hear many stories of that happening here on the forums. Did the suspension notice state how long you'd be sidelined?
Thank you for your input, that was the only reason they gave me. I get a lot of photos rejected, but for each reason they give, I try and correct and end up getting another reason for rejection. After about 2-3 times I just scrap the whole photo and try another photo. I've only tried to resubmit a photo more than three time once, and it ended up getting accepted (This one: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=429754&nseq=1 ). I wish I would just get an email response back from them.
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb Guessing

It is not the number of times you resubmit, rather it is If you are making progress on getting toward something that will be accepted.

Perhaps you should have previewed your submissions here, before bothering the screener.

There is a formula to getting things accepted.

Perhaps they decided that you were not making sufficient progress and got tired of weeding through your submissions.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorygrice View Post
About a week ago, my account received a suspension stating:

"This image appears to be an uncorrected resubmission of a previously rejected photo. You are welcome to reupload images as long as you have made improvements to them, but reuploading an uncorrected image is a violation of our user agreement. Please do not let this be a problem in the future."

The photo I re-uploaded was slightly more saturated from the original and maybe too slight to notice. I was told to email the site and did twice with no reply. I would really like my uploading privileges re-instated. Any other solution?
I'm a little confused here. Was your account suspended from uploading or are you still welcome to reupload images as long as you've made improvements to them? What were the exact words that stated your account was suspended?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
gregorygrice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I'm a little confused here. Was your account suspended from uploading or are you still welcome to reupload images as long as you've made improvements to them? What were the exact words that stated your account was suspended?
Here's the exact photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...14&key=5411855

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Uncorrected Reupload: This image appears to be an uncorrected resubmission of a previously rejected photo. You are welcome to reupload images as long as you have made improvements to them, but reuploading an uncorrected image is a violation of our user agreement. Please do not let this be a problem in the future.
- Banned: Your upload privileges have been revoked by the Editors of RailPictures.Net. Please e-mail the editors if you believe you have been banned in error.


I emailed them the day of and still haven't heard from them.
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorygrice View Post

I emailed them the day of and still haven't heard from them.
Well, you could always create a new ID.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Well, you could always create a new ID.


And, submit it again. That'll show them! You could call yourself: "das Verstärker".



Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 05-02-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Andrew Crosby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 124
Default

Interesting discussion as I've occasionally been concerned about getting suspended or banned a couple times for repeated submissions, although I've never had screeners or admin indicate they were considering doing so.

Most of my shots were rejected at least twice, some 5 or 6 times (mostly for undersharp), though ultimately accepted with improvements. I always state what I did in the the comments section, and thank the screeners for taking another look. And when I clearly get the vibe a shot is too flawed to be improved I give up and move on.

This process, and occasionally posting a shot here, has helped me improve. But I still have worried that some screeners will get sick of me for coming back with the same shot. I wonder if my comments and polite approach have helped the screeners give me some leeway.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crosby View Post
Most of my shots were rejected at least twice, some 5 or 6 times (mostly for undersharp), though ultimately accepted with improvements. .

I'm trying to understand the amount importance you appear to place of having a shot "accepted" here? My guess is that very few of my shots are what they are looking for, but that doesn't bother me in the least. For the most part I enjoy shooting what I do.





Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
The Screener can see your previous submission, but if he can't tell the difference, the result may be the rejection reason that you received.
Kevin, I was unaware of this. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that the screener has connection to the previous rejection, nor do I recall seeing such a connection in the screener view capture that was posted hear maybe a year ago.

I thought that uncorrected reupload only happens if the same screener sees the second image and has memory of the first one.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
gregorygrice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crosby View Post
Most of my shots were rejected at least twice, some 5 or 6 times (mostly for undersharp), though ultimately accepted with improvements. I always state what I did in the the comments section, and thank the screeners for taking another look. And when I clearly get the vibe a shot is too flawed to be improved I give up and move on.
That's exactly what I do, which is why I don't know why this has happened.

The reason why I don't want create another and just have the ban lifted is because I do have photos that have been accepted on here. Don't really feel like starting over if you know what I mean.

Last edited by gregorygrice; 05-02-2013 at 03:23 PM.
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Andrew Crosby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
I'm trying to understand the amount importance you appear to place of having a shot "accepted" here? My guess is that very few of my shots are what they are looking for, but that doesn't bother me in the least. For the most part I enjoy shooting what I do.





Kent in SD
Didn't intend to convey I merely find it seriously important to get shots accepted at RP, Kent. Sorry if I was unclear.

But at my level of proficiency (high level beginner, I think), and with somewhat limited access to photographers who can help me in the specific ways I've needed, working on improving shots based on rejection reasons has been a primary source of education. The feedback I've gotten from you forum regulars, of course, has been even more helpful.

My point is - the acceptance of a problematic shot represents to me that I've learned something useful about mistakes I'd been making. I don't place huge value on acceptance otherwise.

One indication I've improved is that almost all my rejections are for undersharp these days. I used to get lots of bad cropping, bad lighting, high sun, poor contrast. Still see those occasionally, of course, but the mistakes I've made more recently compared to last year tell me I've moved up a step or two.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Kevin, I was unaware of this. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that the screener has connection to the previous rejection, nor do I recall seeing such a connection in the screener view capture that was posted hear maybe a year ago.

I thought that uncorrected reupload only happens if the same screener sees the second image and has memory of the first one.
Hi J,

At one point, when there was a discussion regarding making people's rejections public, Chris Kilroy stated that "we" (I assume that means the whole RP.net crew) can see your previous rejections. I took that to mean at least the ones that are still active. Perhaps they can access everything, if they are so inclined.

My sense is that when folks get banned, it is usually the result of a long string of things....either unpleasant communications, or a long string of rejections, many of them for the same image over and over. Chris indicated that some contributors improve and some.....well, some never seem to. I obviously don't know for sure, but I suspect that when they hit you with a ban, it's because they're....well, they're sick of you for one reason or another. Perhaps the bans come easier these days, because there are gazillions of contributors.

Hey, there have been a few times that I've gotten 3 or 4 rejections in one week and worried about getting hit.....and my acceptance/rejection ratio is probably 8-1 or better. It's not our site, so how the owners feel about our dealings with them is extremely important.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Andrew Crosby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorygrice View Post
That's exactly what I do, which is why I don't know why this has happened.

The reason why I don't want create another and just have the ban lifted is because I do have photos that have been accepted on here. Don't really feel like starting over if you know what I mean.

Not sure what's happening in your case, and too inexperienced to speculate much. Perhaps I've just been luckier.

But did I miss something, or is it still unclear as to whether you're actually suspended? The rejection comments said something like "Don't do this in the future," but did you actually get notified you were prohibited from uploading?
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crosby View Post
But did I miss something, or is it still unclear as to whether you're actually suspended? The rejection comments said something like "Don't do this in the future," but did you actually get notified you were prohibited from uploading?

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you may have overlooked this. Greg indicated that when he got the rejection, here is what it said:

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Uncorrected Reupload: This image appears to be an uncorrected resubmission of a previously rejected photo. You are welcome to reupload images as long as you have made improvements to them, but reuploading an uncorrected image is a violation of our user agreement. Please do not let this be a problem in the future.
- Banned: Your upload privileges have been revoked by the Editors of RailPictures.Net. Please e-mail the editors if you believe you have been banned in error.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Andrew Crosby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 124
Default

Ah, yes. I see that overlooked not the small print, but the bold print. (Perhaps I thought that was another 'Asian Beauties' link.) Will pay more attention in the future.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
gregorygrice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 10
Default

Well do they usually take long to reply back to emails? If they aren't going to lift the ban, I would like to hear from them. I could've at least gotten a warning. I just want to hear back from them concerning the ban and what can be done. I've got plenty of photos that I would like to try and get accepted. I can still access my account, but I cannot upload photos.

Last edited by gregorygrice; 05-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Don't hold your breath for an answer. It most certainly will never come. As for giving warnings, that's never been one of their policies either.

They have so many contributors now that they can afford to take them for granted.

I think you're out on your luck, here. Wait it out a couple months and create a new account.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,887
Default

Call me cynical, but I'm guessing there were many issues that caused this over a long time. In the past, when a banned member posts here, he acts all innocent. Later, one of the admins comes in and gives us, as Mr Harvey might say, the rest of the story. My advice to anyone who has been banned would be to not bring it to the forums. I know it can be a pain if neither Chris seem to be returning your e-mail, but working out the situation in private seems the best solution when at all possible.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Hum................

Already been kicked out of one forum group this week, and now not sure whether I should try for two.

This is always a sticky subject.

* * * * *

So Kent, why don't you submit that photo in this thread?

I would expect it to get accepted if it were formatted right.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-02-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

This thread kind of got a little of topic. To answer the Original Poster's question; email response time from site admins ranges from several days to never. As the site has grown in popular, the screener's attitudes and/or tolerance towards people (especially newer people like the original poster with limited photographic experience) mass uploading has really grown thin.

Not an unfair reaction by them; obviously work load exponentially increases with popularity. Limiting uploads and banning users is the route the site admins decided to take to cut back on workload. Unfortunately, the OP hasn't been around long enough to see this develop over time like alot of us have, so he didn't know how to avoid it.

Outside of an email, there isn't really much you can do. Posting in the forums almost certainly won't help, as its probably been almost a year since any admin has posted in here. I would try to send another email in a week or two, but after that you're out of luck.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
gregorygrice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Call me cynical, but I'm guessing there were many issues that caused this over a long time. In the past, when a banned member posts here, he acts all innocent. Later, one of the admins comes in and gives us, as Mr Harvey might say, the rest of the story. My advice to anyone who has been banned would be to not bring it to the forums. I know it can be a pain if neither Chris seem to be returning your e-mail, but working out the situation in private seems the best solution when at all possible.
I totally understand what you're saying. I've had plenty of rejections and I mean plenty, but I have still followed their rules and guidelines. It wouldn't make sense to create a whole new account when I have accepted photos. I may be "new" to posting to the site, but I've been shooting for a while. Most of my rejections seem to be "under-sharpening" and "bad cropping".

Last edited by gregorygrice; 05-02-2013 at 06:34 PM.
gregorygrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #24
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,887
Default

Only one person suggested creating a new account and I suspect he was being sarcastic.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
tytrain
Member
 
tytrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 43
Default

EDIT: Removed unwanted speculation.

Last edited by tytrain; 05-02-2013 at 08:20 PM.
tytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.