Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
OCtrainguy

Default Obstructing objects/foreground clutter at a station

I was thinking about the Obstructing Objects (foreground clutter) reason on this photo:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=272144402

I haven't done a lot of SEPTA photography, but since these new cars were on display for National Train Day, I took and submitted the photograph. I am note sure if the reason for the rejection was for the high platform (I am thinking that may be the reason), thus the bottom portion of the cars are not able to be seen, or the people near the entrance way to the car. I'd like to know so I can keep it in mind for future photographs, particularly at high level platform stations.

Last edited by OCtrainguy; 07-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.
OCtrainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

That does seem perplexing. There are similiar shots in the database. But I might use this chance it I were you to recro so that the train is not so centered. You might also consider reprocessing because to me the colors look a bit flat.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtrainguy View Post
I am note sure if the reason for the rejection was for the high platform (I am thinking that may be the reason), thus the bottom portion of the cars are not able to be seen, or the people near the entrance way to the car.
I think it's the disembodied arm in the lower left corner. Whoever is on that bench either needs to be completely cropped out, or properly included in the phtotograph.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft View Post
I think it's the disembodied arm in the lower left corner. Whoever is on that bench either needs to be completely cropped out, or properly included in the phtotograph.
Agreed. Having miscellaneous body parts protruding into a scene is a bit awkward. If the person is close enough to be recognizable, my advice would be to completely include or exclude them. Having a torso in the scene with limbs cut off may be less awkward, but is still to be avoided, if possible. The guy drinking his coffee on the left is probably in that category.

To me, the rejection should have been for cropping, not foreground clutter. It's a station scene, not a roster shot. Adjust the crop to deal with the miscellaneous body parts and you should be OK.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
^
This...

Easy enough to crop out or "fix"
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

I didn't scroll down far enough to see the arm. Having seen it now, I agree with the other posters about that being the FC. Agreed on cropping, too.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
OCtrainguy

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking closer to the train, after reading the responses, I see it now. Thanks, I'll recrop it.
OCtrainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
I would certainly agree and hope this is in fact the reason. Comments to the photographer /from the screener would go such a long way as merited. While it would be ludicrous to expect every rejected shot to have commentary a few, I feel, deserve a few seconds of the screener's time. Specifically good acceptable photos that have simple yet sometimes imperceptible oversights.

This one coud've been two words "disembodied arm" - maybe the rejections reasons instead could be updated. Seem a few are missing while several others are rarely if ever used. It would go a long way towards making this site more enjoyable to users, new and old alike.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

How long have we begged for updated rejection reasons?

I think the comments from the screener would be a good idea, but I've never seen one personally.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan

While I agree with everyone else that the disembodied arm is a flaw in the image, I'm not convinced that this is the reason for rejection.

High level platform shots of transit vehicles seem to be a 50/50 proposition here and if you add in the flat colors in this image, that may have pushed this one over on the bad side of that 50/50.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
...if you add in the flat colors in this image, that may have pushed this one over on the bad side of that 50/50.
You may not have realized this but the image is not likely meant to be an award winning artistic achievement. The Silverliner V's are brand new and have yet to enter service. It's been decades since SEPTA has ordered new transit cars for it's regional rail. Consequently, flat lighting is not truly relevant to the composition. It's more of a news photo which RP tends to accept with greater tolerance. To date, there are only 2 Silverliner V images in the database.

/Mitch
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

I was aware what the intent of this shot was. I was trying to be helpful, not hurtful.

News photo or not... I think the group might be wrong about the high level platforms... and the lighting might be the tipping point. But I might be totally wrong too... just one man's opinion.

Last edited by Freericks; 07-26-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:42 AM   #13
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I was aware what the intent of this shot was. I was trying to be helpful, not hurtful.
Same here - just pointing that out since you and possibly the screener may not have known - not living in Philly or necessary following the transit scene.

I hope it's the arm that is the issue however. I come to RP for more then just the best pics on the 'Net as do others for well composed news photos among other things.

Good luck getting it in!
You may want to mention the rareness of the catch when you appeal.

/Mitch
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

You might try this crop.

With a little PS...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6914.1279897008.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	5658  

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Ah!!!!! A Disembodied Arm!

Quote:
"The disembodied arm!"

Ha ha!

Yup, that would be my first guess.

Why was that left in there like that?

Bad Toto, bad!
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote