Old 05-04-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
KevinM

Default There will be a brief pause in RP activity.....

....while every rail photographer in the world (as well as foamers with cameras) heads for Wyoming to take Big Boy photos. When they get back, RP activity will suddenly surge....with Big Boy photos. Until then, you'll be entertained by the World's Greatest Rail Photographer, who will be posting his from the car. I'll be posting mine......oh, sometime next year.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:22 AM   #2
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
....while every rail photographer in the world (as well as foamers with cameras) heads for Wyoming to take Big Boy photos. When they get back, RP activity will suddenly surge....with Big Boy photos. Until then, you'll be entertained by the World's Greatest Rail Photographer, who will be posting his from the car. I'll be posting mine......oh, sometime next year.
The surge is here! Only 2 of the top 15 are not 4014.
If by W.G.R.P. you mean who I think, I do like his shot. I cropped the diesel and some brush off, resized the remainder to 1000 in height, and it still looks good!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 05-04-2019 at 03:30 AM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
If by W.G.R.P. you mean who I think, I do like his shot.
Yep, that's the dude....and I agree. That sunset shot is a keeper. I am hoping to come up with at least one nicely lit shot of this locomotive. I have no idea what to expect out there. On the one hand, if you read the foamer boards like TrainOrders, you could imagine highway gridlock. On the other hand, I suspect that outside of train fanatics, most people couldn't care less about the Big Boy or the Spike 150 event and most people probably think that UP is creating a public nuisance with this.

The last time I was in Wyoming was for the solar eclipse. I'm pretty sure this won't be nearly that nutty.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:50 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Quote:
Yep, that's the dude....and I agree. That sunset shot is a keeper. I am hoping to come up with at least one nicely lit shot of this locomotive. I have no idea what to expect out there. On the one hand, if you read the foamer boards like TrainOrders, you could imagine highway gridlock. On the other hand, I suspect that outside of train fanatics, most people couldn't care less about the Big Boy or the Spike 150 event and most people probably think that UP is creating a public nuisance with this.

The last time I was in Wyoming was for the solar eclipse. I'm pretty sure this won't be nearly that nutty.
Other engines look more hulking/muscular but that Big Boy is l-o-n-g!

Just noticed: 4014 has "Big Boy" in chalk on the smokebox front- a nice historic touch!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 05-04-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: a
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:

Kevin,

As the veteran of over forty years of main line steam chases, I respectfully disagree. Once it happened, the solar eclipse was a one-location event. This will be a continuous insane leapfrog event with most chasers trying to get as many shots as possible. There's always at least one video/sound person trying to get endless pacing sequences on narrow roads, holding up throngs of still photographers who are trying to get ahead to the next shot, and tempers will flare.

I've seen this type of behavior on chases for 40 years, and although I didn't witness any bad behavior, the first Spencer - Roanoke trip after the second 611 rebirth was by far the most crowded event that I have ever participated in. Later 611 events paled in comparison, and although the big boy is on my bucket list, this is not the event for me.

My recommendation is to find a secluded location that requires too much time for the average foamer to access, get one really good shot, and then take anything else that you get that day as a bonus. You won't get as many photos as much of the pack, but you will come away with better memories, and probably better, more unique, images.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Be the photographer who has a good shot no one else does. I made that effort for 611 and it pays off.

As for me, I'll be sitting here at home while on call for work.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
cprted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Be the photographer who has a good shot no one else does. I made that effort for 611 and it pays off.

As for me, I'll be sitting here at home while on call for work.

Loyd L.
^ This. Quality over quantity. I'd prefer to have one really superb shot over 100 moderate shots any day.
cprted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #8
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

I am perfectly content to be sitting back and enjoying all this from the comfort of my screener's chair.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
amtrak07t

I had a couple shots in the queue of other trains. After remembering what was going on this weekend, I pulled them. I can't compete with the Big Boy right now
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

People will be sick of it before long. Happens every time something different stirs up the foamer world.

I'm still holding 611 photos waiting for that rush to settle.. er.. yeah.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote