Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
willig

Default Three PQs

These shots, taken on the same railway, were all rejected for PQ.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=437440127
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1232171406
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=826840&key=0

My initial thought was that the screener assumed they were of a toy train or theme park railway.

I appealed and explained that it is a 7 mile long World famous 15" heritage line in the English Lake District. These are serious steam locomotives, one of which is now 116 years old. Definitely not a toy.

The Appeal was rejected. The problem is that they may have been rejected for the same reason (PQ) or some other reason, e.g poor cropping, backlit etc. I don't know because no reason is given, only that the appeal is rejected.
I have many others taken on this line, which I needn't bother uploading now, even though there are already about ten on the DB taken on the line.

Any thoughts anyone? Do you think they are PQ or something else?
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
Dennis A. Livesey

Graham

I feel that the two close up shots with the ball-cap driver don't work because we cannot see his eyes. Since he is so prominent in the oiling shot, he is the meaning of it. But since we cannot see him, we are let down since we cannot relate to him.

The locomotive shot, while technically excellent, is common framing. Again we can't relate to the driver, the framing is too tight, the loco is centered and thus we have a hard time moving our eye around. Love the wiper and the dog but what's up with the ball-caps? Give me grease top's!

And this is said by a man who loves 15" gauge and hopes to see the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway for himself one day.

Just my opinion, of course.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

I don't know what is so hard to understand. They were submitted, then rejected, then appealed and rejected. Seems pretty self evident to me. FWIW, the shots don't do much for me either.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
willig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't know what is so hard to understand. They were submitted, then rejected, then appealed and rejected. Seems pretty self evident to me. FWIW, the shots don't do much for me either.
Ooer. Sorry I bothered everyone then.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
ROn_J

I quite like the third photo (despite the poor lighting, blown out sky and creepy woman staring directly down the lens) but the other two leave me cold. As has been said though, if you've appealed and been rejected then that's it.
ROn_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Could you be a bigger jerk? Seriously. Its not obvious because of the PEQ. None of those are PEQ, IMHO. Maybe different cropping or angle, but not PEQ. Love the last one.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
bigbassloyd

Maybe upload the ones that don't employ weird crops, bad lighting, and actually SHOW the line and it's steamers, instead of little parts of already little locomotives?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
mark woody

Graham i like the detail of the shots, valve gear,backhead polished brass etc and the human element but agree with previous posters for RP more of the scene.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Not related to the quality of your pictures, but I chose not to submit any of my photos from England because I was worried about exactly this.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Not related to the quality of your pictures, but I chose not to submit any of my photos from England because I was worried about exactly this.
Worried about what? Xenophobia?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Mgoldman

My 2

First shot:
Maybe an even tighter crop - the rail is slightly distracting and it would emphasize the man oiling the gears a bit better. If that doesn't work, then I'd say the photo does not look like the "real deal" for that particular screener and you only hope is the tastes of the screener who would see the appeal.

Second shot:
Very bright (too bright?), greenish cool (temperature) photo with the engineer cut off. A bit tighter crop here would benefit but not sure if it would be enough to get on to RP. (Crop the "extra" in front of the cab - it adds nothing, in fact, it distracts).

Third shot:
NO DOGS ON A TRAIN allowed on RP. Or - perhaps the screener did not like the shot since the engineer was facing the wrong way. I like it - if you were tighter on the top left and "looser" in the crop bottom right, it may help.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Worried about what? Xenophobia?
Spending too much time getting rejected for foreign power, cloudy day
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
My 2

First shot:
Maybe an even tighter crop - the rail is slightly distracting and it would emphasize the man oiling the gears a bit better. If that doesn't work, then I'd say the photo does not look like the "real deal" for that particular screener and you only hope is the tastes of the screener who would see the appeal.
Shame his cap covers his face - kills it for me

Quote:
Second shot:
Very bright (too bright?), greenish cool (temperature) photo with the engineer cut off. A bit tighter crop here would benefit but not sure if it would be enough to get on to RP. (Crop the "extra" in front of the cab - it adds nothing, in fact, it distracts).
Agree with that but think cutting the guy in half kills it - tighter on the left, whole guy on the right = might work.

Quote:
Third shot:
NO DOGS ON A TRAIN allowed on RP. Or - perhaps the screener did not like the shot since the engineer was facing the wrong way. I like it - if you were tighter on the top left and "looser" in the crop bottom right, it may help.

/Mitch

I think the engineer facing the wrong way kills it and the light could be better. Then there's the dog factor...

Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote