Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default Poor composition

What does that even mean? I can't go back and retake the picture , the time has past the train is gone. Help please. See pic 1134036.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 177.jpg (301.3 KB, 198 views)
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Too much dead space on the right.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

You have a light engine move and a bunch of poles, I would have given it a PEQ and been done with it rather than giving it a "fixable" rejection, because it isn't.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

I think it's fixable, Nikos! The issue is the tightness on the left. Or more clearly, the issue is the nose is centered (RP hates that, Steamy!), the solution is to crop on the right side, get rid of that pole, and the remaining issue is that once you do that I think it will seem tight on the left.

But Steamy, I think you need a more rudimentary lesson, as you seem unaware that cropping is a possible solution to some RP woes. So you can't retake the picture (and yes sometimes that is the only solution) but you can work with what you have. And in any situation one is not forced to accept the crop that comes out of the camera, although obviously one cannot expand on the field of view.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

What worries me here is the softness of the photo. Look at the side of the train and the nose of the engine. Looks like the camera misfocused.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think it's fixable, Nikos! The issue is the tightness on the left. Or more clearly, the issue is the nose is centered (RP hates that, Steamy!), the solution is to crop on the right side, get rid of that pole, and the remaining issue is that once you do that I think it will seem tight on the left.
Unless I'm missing something then you then have a square crop. More to the point, it shouldnt be fixed because it would be easier to go out and take a better picture in the first place, nothing unusual that cant be redone.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
What does that even mean? I can't go back and retake the picture , the time has past the train is gone. Help please. See pic 1134036.
It'll probably come back.

And what is this "pic 1134036" that you mention? Where do we go to see it?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Don't be silly. You don't need a time machine. You can go back to the same spot and take another picture of another train.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Jim, that 7-digit number looks like a reject ID to me - the OP does not realize that the only way we can view that is to have the full URL. Hey, s/he's new here.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Jim, that 7-digit number looks like a reject ID to me - the OP does not realize that the only way we can view that is to have the full URL. Hey, s/he's new here.
Yes the number was the rejected photo . I don't know if you guys can punch in the number and see the picture. Thanks
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
Don't be silly. You don't need a time machine. You can go back to the same spot and take another picture of another train.
No , unfortunately i can't go back. i live in Michigan and was down in Wichita only for 2 weeks for school.
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think it's fixable, Nikos! The issue is the tightness on the left. Or more clearly, the issue is the nose is centered (RP hates that, Steamy!), the solution is to crop on the right side, get rid of that pole, and the remaining issue is that once you do that I think it will seem tight on the left.

But Steamy, I think you need a more rudimentary lesson, as you seem unaware that cropping is a possible solution to some RP woes. So you can't retake the picture (and yes sometimes that is the only solution) but you can work with what you have. And in any situation one is not forced to accept the crop that comes out of the camera, although obviously one cannot expand on the field of view.

Yes I'm aware that RP hates the object being centered, I don't understand the big deal about it being centered. that is what i'm focusing on , not the background! but anyway here is the same pic cropped with the pole gone , it looks way to narrow and i know they will reject it again. They just don't like me. I've only got 3 posted out of 15 or so pics that i submitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 177.jpg (432.8 KB, 86 views)
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
No , unfortunately i can't go back. i live in Michigan and was down in Wichita only for 2 weeks for school.
Well then, you don't need to go back. There are much better scenes and trains to be photographed in Michigan. Where in Michigan do you live?

Let this one go. There is no point in continuing on getting rejects for a photo that will never be accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
Yes I'm aware that RP hates the object being centered, I don't understand the big deal about it being centered. that is what i'm focusing on , not the background! but anyway here is the same pic cropped with the pole gone , it looks way to narrow and i know they will reject it again. They just don't like me. I've only got 3 posted out of 15 or so pics that i submitted.
There is no dislike of you from the screeners. First thing you have to grasp is the concept that rejections should not be taken personally.

Last edited by JimThias; 03-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
They just don't like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
There is no dislike of you from the screeners. First thing you have to grasp is the concept that rejections should not be taken personally.
What he said. It is nothing personal. RP has preferences. I sometimes see someone come to the forums and make their passionate cases, and wonder if they realize that the screeners are just like them, they have strong opinions too. In this case RP likes shots with particular compositional structures, or without particular things. It isn't you, it is them.

At the same time, it is also you, versus not just RP screeners but vs commonly held preferences. You don't have a problem with centered. Many people in many walks of photography find centered subject to be weak compositionally. An off-centered positioning gives a shot what one might call "movement", a general sense of something going on, a greater visual intensity. The language is weak, but the principle strong. Get info about the "rule of thirds" (hint: it's not a rule, just misnamed, it's a guiding principle that can be broken). RP cares about things like that, about compositional balance. There is a lot to learn.

It's all subjective, by the way.

And the RP screeners pretty much don't know who you are and have no opinions toward you as a person. They just found this particular shot wanting, and presumably 12 of the 15 wanting. Up to you whether you adjust to what RP likes, or not. They owe you no consideration.

BTW, this is something everyone new to RP goes through. I would imagine this is true of any juried/screened group, including a local general photography where they may also tell someone their stuff is inadequate. Drawing judgment on images is part of photography, both as a creator of images and as a consumer.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Well then, you don't need to go back. There are much better scenes and trains to be photographed in Michigan. Where in Michigan do you live?

Let this one go. There is no point in continuing on getting rejects for a photo that will never be accepted.



There is no dislike of you from the screeners. First thing you have to grasp is the concept that rejections should not be taken personally.
I live in Augusta Between BC and Kazoo.
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Maybe not personal. but it seems like every time i post one they always seem to find something wrong with it. And i have seen similar pics on the site like mine and have been accepted. Not fair. And also they removed my appeal privileges stating that i abused it. Oh well . We;; there are times and situations that i have no control over , like the weather or lighting, or a shot in a life time like when the SP4449 steam locomotive came to Michigan for the train festival in 09. It got knocked down for poor lighting and bad cropping. See for yourself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 014.jpg (61.6 KB, 89 views)
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #17
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
I live in Augusta Between BC and Kazoo.
I love the coaling tower there:

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 190205
Photograph © Jim Thias


A good friend of mine lives in the BC area, works for CN and photographs a lot of spots between Kzoo and BC. Check out his stuff:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=38143

He's a very good photographer and with you being familiar with the area in which he shoots, you might get some good guidance on what RP accepts by looking at his photos.

A couple of his coaling tower shots:

Image © Aaron Schlegel
PhotoID: 322834
Photograph © Aaron Schlegel

Image © Aaron Schlegel
PhotoID: 309458
Photograph © Aaron Schlegel

Last edited by JimThias; 03-28-2013 at 01:10 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Very interesting that You and I know the same guy. Well , his more of an acquaintance to me Since i only met him once in BC on Dickman rd and he is the one that introduced me to RP. I didn't know about the site until i met him. He has some very nice shots . I also have one at the coaling tower that actually got accepted BY RP . Of course i've had help with it from Aaron. Check it out below. The link .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMT242.jpg (169.7 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by steamy1225; 03-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #19
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

God, what to start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
Maybe not personal. but it seems like every time i post one they always seem to find something wrong with it.
They're screeners. That's their job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
And i have seen similar pics on the site like mine and have been accepted. Not fair.
Next time this happens, post your shot and the one that you think is similiar in the forums. My hunch based on the number of times other people have said the same exact thing is that your shots aren't that similiar to the ones you think they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
And also they removed my appeal privileges stating that i abused it.
They do this when someone repeatedly keeps abusing the appeal process. The next step is to remove your upload privileges entirely..
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
Oh well . We;; there are times and situations that i have no control over , like the weather or lighting, or a shot in a life time like when the SP4449 steam locomotive came to Michigan for the train festival in 09. It got knocked down for poor lighting and bad cropping. See for yourself
Well, obviously you can't control the weather, but you can control what you upload here. As for Bad Cropping, that is something you can control.

We've seen a lot of "The screeners hate me" folks here. They either 1.) get over themselves or 2.) bitch and moan about it on Facebook.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #20
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I love the coaling tower there:

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 190205
Photograph © Jim Thias


A good friend of mine lives in the BC area, works for CN and photographs a lot of spots between Kzoo and BC. Check out his stuff:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=38143

He's a very good photographer and with you being familiar with the area in which he shoots, you might get some good guidance on what RP accepts by looking at his photos.

A couple of his coaling tower shots:

Image © Aaron Schlegel
PhotoID: 322834
Photograph © Aaron Schlegel

Image © Aaron Schlegel
PhotoID: 309458
Photograph © Aaron Schlegel

Love the shot from you. See ,i had one similar to yours and got knocked down for bad lighting. the sun was to high in summer time . One of them was in Kazoo at the station and i could only get on the North side of it to get the shot .
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #21
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
God, what to start?

They're screeners. That's their job.

Next time this happens, post your shot and the one that you think is similiar in the forums. My hunch based on the number of times other people have said the same exact thing is that your shots aren't that similiar to the ones you think they are.

They do this when someone repeatedly keeps abusing the appeal process. The next step is to remove your upload privileges entirely..

Well, obviously you can't control the weather, but you can control what you upload here. As for Bad Cropping, that is something you can control.

We've seen a lot of "The screeners hate me" folks here. They either 1.) get over themselves or 2.) bitch and moan about it on Facebook.
Thanks for the advise. I have let it go . i even stop trying to post for a while to let it cool off , like months . and i don't do facebook , screw that site.
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #22
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

I hear you that you have "let it go", although that means different things to different people. I will only add that, to be a successful photographer in general, nothing to do with RP, one must develop a critical eye toward one's own work. For example, the SP shot you attached above, not particularly good, certainly not RP material but in general also, not particularly good.

Assume you can get better, then make it so. Not a bad approach to life, actually.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #23
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Yes , that didn't come out as good as it could have . it was cloudy and my camera settings were not the highest at that time. I have changed them for the better since then and yes still learning about the photos . But that was once in a life time opportunity on SP locomotive. Who knows if that will ever happen again in my life time, know what i mean! Thanks
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1225 View Post
Very interesting that You and I know the same guy. Well , his more of an acquaintance to me Since i only met him once in BC on Dickman rd and he is the one that introduced me to RP. I didn't know about the site until i met him.
Well I guess it's my fault you are here then. I met Aaron on a riverbank in Alma while waiting to photograph 4449. At the time he was still shooting with an old film camera and didn't know anything about RP. Shortly after, he joined the site, bought a digital camera and within a year his photography had improved immensely. Aaron had a lot of rejects to start out, but he didn't give up. He was open minded and willing to listen to critiques of his images and learn from that.

Here's my shot of 4449 from that day. It's total garbage by RP standards (I wouldn't even think of submitting it), but it's a shot I'll have to look back at years down the road and have a good memory of that day. That's kind of how you have to look at images that get rejected. So RP doesn't want it, don't take it personally. Just enjoy the experience you had that day taking the photo.




Trust me, you aren't the only one to have images of 4449 rejected. I would guess that number to be in the hundreds.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
steamy1225
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Thanks , To me this is an awesome shot, but you right, they will most likely shoot it down for poor lighting and bad angle. I know that there's no way you can improve the lighting or even get closer to the bridge. You find the best spot you can get to and do the best you can. Right?
steamy1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.