Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Kyle Yunker

Default Knew it was coming...

I submitted these two pictures just about full knowing they would be rejected but thought I'd give it a shot.

First one -
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...32&key=3032498

yep, backlit, I know but Ive been seeing more and more backlit shots getting in as of late.
Example...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=425157&nseq=0
And honestly, I dont care to appeal because it's just a pair of orange swoosh junk.

Second one -
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=3335352
I like this one a lot but how do yall feel about it? Wish the lady on the left didnt walk into the frame at the exact wrong moment to cover the plow.

Id like to know what my peers think and not just one person.
Kyle Yunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
JRMDC

The lady's elbow bombed your shot.

First one, a pretty ordinary composition, plus in comparison to Chase's, just seems to have a bit less life, a bit less rich in color, something, I can't put my finger on it. Might be processing, might be nature of the light. Put it aside for RP, I think.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
Ween

The second one suffers from exposure problems. The inside is too dark and the outside is overexposed/blown out. Nice concept though...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
BobE
Banned

Calling people "foreground clutter" is a little harsh.

The woman's elbow is a distraction. You've got to be aware of everything in your viewfinder. What the train is going to do is pretty predictable, but all that "foreground clutter" has a mind of its own.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Yunker View Post
I submitted these two pictures just about full knowing they would be rejected but thought I'd give it a shot.

First one -
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...32&key=3032498

yep, backlit, I know but Ive been seeing more and more backlit shots getting in as of late.
Example...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=425157&nseq=0
And honestly, I dont care to appeal because it's just a pair of orange swoosh junk.
One should not compare a backlit wedgie of common power in harsh lighting to a much better scene of a yard operation in golden evening sunlight.

Now if you posted a pic of an accepted shot from someone standing next to you, then you'd have a case.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
Ron Flanary

The first two need more contrast. The light on the nose thing isn't a big deal.

The interior shot could be a winner. As it is, the locomotive on the outside is a tad overexposed, and the inside scene is underexposed. You could use Photoshop and selectively address both sections and possibly salvage it. I think it's a very clever shot myself. In fact, I know of a few other places where you might try this (plus, I've done similar shots over the years---inside a busy place, and shooting a train as it passes outside). O. Winston Link did this a lot.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
Kyle Yunker

Thanks for the comments. Chase's shot compared to mine is much better and with better power for sure. I dont care much for my picture but thought Id submit it anyways.
Ill have to try the second shot again in the future but recreating the atmosphere will be up in the air. The exposure is very tough with the bright clear day outside and just a couple incandescents for light on the inside.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
Ron Flanary

Actually, this is sort of what I was talking about. This is a "quick and dirty" fix:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFEdit.jpg (200.7 KB, 392 views)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
coborn35

I haven't looked at them and I really don't want to. Why should we take our time to critique shots you don't even care about? Why submit if you knew it wasnt going to get in? Seems pointless and a waste of the screeners time.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Second one -
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=3335352
I like this one a lot but how do yall feel about it? Wish the lady on the left didnt walk into the frame at the exact wrong moment to cover the plow.
erson.
It's a nice idea and while the lady and her elbow are doing you no favors, it's not the only thing in the foreground obstructing the train. The sign does as well as what that is in the window below the sign. It looks crowded in there so this may not have been possible, but it looks like you needed to get closer to the window where you could have worked the sign in to the shot and got the woman and the other obstructions out. Failing that, it may have been better to just go outside and try to work the sign into the shot. I've never been there, so maybe it's not possible.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #11
Kyle Yunker

The GNRR shot at the restaurant has a couple opportunities. I had only about a minute to set up & compose a shot. I like that I captured a human element but I should have crouched a little so the lettering on the long hood could be read. The elbow was just misfortune.

As far as why I submitted them is because if I didnt and posted them here someone would say, 'where's the rejection? You didnt even try submitting them?' Guess I cant win.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
As far as why I submitted them is because if I didnt and posted them here someone would say, 'where's the rejection? You didnt even try submitting them?' Guess I cant win.
Actually, if you posted them and said "I'm thinking of submitting these to RP, what say you?" you would get a warm reception, it happens here regularly, albeit perhaps not regularly enough.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Partime contributor, full time lurker.

Mad Max wakes up on the wrong side of the roundhouse again.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 02-20-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
The GNRR shot at the restaurant has a couple opportunities. I had only about a minute to set up & compose a shot. I like that I captured a human element but I should have crouched a little so the lettering on the long hood could be read. The elbow was just misfortune.
Kyle, the diner shot is definitely worth trying again if you can. I didn't notice the kid looking at the train the first time I looked at it, but stuff like that can really help to get past the other obstruction stuff. Maybe if you redo it and there is a kid by the window you can ask him to look at the train as it's passing. Just watch out for rogue elbows!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Actually, if you posted them and said "I'm thinking of submitting these to RP, what say you?" you would get a warm reception, it happens here regularly, albeit perhaps not regularly enough.
Indeed. If you're not sure about the merits of your images, just ask here. You'll get several viewpoints (and most of them are valid!).

If you submit a shot and it's rejected, the folks who lurk on this forum can't always instruct a photographer on how to turn chicken shit into chicken salad (not directed at your images---just a general observation). But usually, it's not quite that extreme.

Not everyone "gets it" when it comes to photography. It's much like a person who's tone deaf pissed off because they didn't pass the audition for the church choir. I've seen many shots from irate RP contributors who were enraged because none of their shots were ever accepted. And then you look at 'em, and think.......dude---really?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #16
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
............I've seen many shots from irate RP contributors who were enraged because none of their shots were ever accepted. And then you look at 'em, and think.......dude---really?
I have commented on a number of those in other forums and you really wonder what the submitters were thinking - or not.

Trick is to look at the photos in the DB and if yours doesn't look like them due to image quality, or composition, you might want to think about submitting images until you can come up to that level.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #17
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
...Trick is to look at the photos in the DB and if yours doesn't look like them due to image quality, or composition, you might want to think about submitting images until you can come up to that level.
That's how I learned photography. I read the pages of Trains Magazine and studied the composition and lighting from master photographers such as Richard Steinheimer, Jim Shaughnessy, Don Wood, Phil Hastings, David Plowden, among others. Then, I would crank out some shots with my little old Argus or Yashica 35mm camera (usually Tri-X black and white prints)---and study the results. Nope....back to the drawing room! Next time I would try this, or try that. Totally a trial and error process.

When I pretty much went to color slides after 1970, it was a totally different experience. Black and white and color photography were NOT the same. I had to relearn many things through experimentation.

I honestly think some of today's younger photographers are so darn fixated on just having a shot accepted on RP that they overlook the most basic factors. We see a constant stream of images here where someone is asking what he should do to have it accepted. A majority of those shots are pretty ordinary---plus they suffer from many of the ills that were apparent to me when I was just a young guy trying to learn how a camera worked, and what constituted a good image.

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice man.....practice!"
Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #18
bigbassloyd

Ron, what if you're really good at taking really bad images? That's an accomplishment, right? I think I'm close now..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Ron, what if you're really good at taking really bad images? That's an accomplishment, right? I think I'm close now..

Loyd L.
Loyd, that sort of a statement falls flat when coming from you, given the quality of your efforts.

I think humor has to have some connection to reality to be funny. Otherwise it's just weird statements ...

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post

Loyd L.
Seriously, Loyd....I would say less than 10 percent of even the very best photographers' work is "good." An old adage says that "good photographers never show their bad shots." I have stacks of slide boxes (and now, digital folders of images) that are full of less-than-fantastic images. Only after I'm in the big roundhouse in the sky will anyone else see those shots ("...Wow...these shots are REALLY terrible! What was he thinking? I always thought he was an excellent photographer...").

It goes to the ability to see the best in one's work, and weed out the rest. Some folks don't have that kind of objectivity, and thus continue to upload sub-par material to RP. They get rejected---get ticked off---and well, everyone knows the pattern of behavior.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Default Why follow the Sheep, when you can be One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
.......... and thus continue to upload sub-par material to RP.........
Hey, I was trying to be a Renascence Man by creating my own genera of rail photography.

"El Roco, the KMart of rail photography" - available now on AMAZON at 60% off.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 02-20-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Trick is to look at the photos in the DB and if yours doesn't look like them due to image quality, or composition, you might want to think about submitting images until you can come up to that level.
The thing is that most of the guys who bitch and moan about RP can't really tell the difference between their shots and the really good stuff on here. Or even my mediocre stuff on here. Most of them have never been given a critical review of their work by either a fellow photographer or an instructor and certainly not by a boss.

I add the last part because my first boss in TV news sat me down in the edit bay many times and poured over every shot I took and explained in great detail what was wrong with them. Many times I didn't see it until he pointed it out. When I started winning awards in the field, he and I sat down again and laughed about those times.

Point is that a screener with RP is often the first person to tell these folks that their photography isn't good (enough).
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink La la la la!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
....... Otherwise it's just weird statements ...
Would such statements be considered vapid?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Why didn't Jim find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Marginal photographic advice where I tell you you have no shot.
Hello Joe, my name is Sheldon and this continues to bother me.

Punctuation might suffice.

Please fix it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The thing is that most of the guys who bitch and moan about RP can't really tell the difference between their shots and the really good stuff on here. Or even my mediocre stuff on here. Most of them have never been given a critical review of their work by either a fellow photographer or an instructor and certainly not by a boss.
I think it starts with something like this:

"You're a winner, little Johnny. Every photograph you take is beautiful!

Love, Mom"