Old 07-04-2005, 05:43 AM   #26
fotoboy

Default Why?

Why would it make some of us roll our eyes?

Super Van.
fotoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #27
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoboy
Why would it make some of us roll our eyes?

Super Van.
OK, that. Well, I don't know if you have taken a look at the site or not, so you may not know what I am talking about, but it is there for people to basically put up anything they shoot. Some shots are nothing more than a distant headlight in the middle of the night, nothing more than a white speck on a black screen. Others are just plain out of focus, dark, sometimes even non railroad related. Don't get me wrong, most of what is there is not like this, just a little bit.

There has, in the past, been a bit of a feeling of superiority here in this forum when it comes to that site. Basically, in my post above, I was lending support to it.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:48 AM   #28
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Amick
I'll eventually add the shots to my own group's web site, for the railfans out there... not the photo critics.
Did you not know there was a screening process here? If you don't like it then don't upload.

Quote:
(except about the 2 year old stuff, unless you're referring to someone else)
No not just you, but in general that happens a lot.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #29
fotoboy

Default Thanks.

I'll have to check out the website.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #30
4kV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoboy
I'll have to check out the website.
I'd recommend it.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:06 AM   #31
Adam Amick

Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Amick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru1056
Did you not know there was a screening process here? If you don't like it then don't upload.
I think we're all quite aware there is a screening process. I have also taken some notes away to improve my photography skills.

However, being a railfan, I'm more concerned with the subject matter, not if the lighting is perfect or the sky is cloudy or the photo is 1 degree off kilter. I don't know many railfans who are concerned more about the quality of the photo versus the subject. Many railfan shots I take are for reference for modeling. I do try to get some good photos to share here while I'm out and about.

The way I'm developing the my group's website it is to provide the viewer with a multi-angle interactive aspect experience. Satellite photos with references for location of shots linking to ground-level views. So you see it from above, then closer, then ground level.

www.texasandbeyond.org (railfan section, look for the Russell Yard stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru1056
No not just you, but in general that happens a lot.
So I guess legitimate gripes are equivalent to 2 year old whining in your (and others') book?

Funny how this thread became more about perceived "whining" rather than actually addressing the subject at hand... Why a photo of a tower and one of a caboose were rejected for "Bad motive".
Adam Amick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #32
4kV

Quote:
However, being a railfan, I'm more concerned with the subject matter, not if the lighting is perfect or the sky is cloudy or the photo is 1 degree off kilter.

So I guess legitimate gripes are equivalent to 2 year old whining in your (and others') book?
But this site is concerned with that. That is the idea of this site. It's that simple. If you are more concerned with the subject than the photo quality, then you should have no gripe at all when something is rejected, if that is not your primary focus.

No, legitimate gripes are OK, and not always perceived as whining. It's when they are presented in a tone of whininess that they are perceived as whining. Coming on and spouting off, calling something crap, or insert expletive here, or whatever, and not waiting for an appeal will get you in heat on the forum every time.

Last edited by 4kV; 07-04-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #33
Ru1056

Quote:
Ok, now here's what blows this all out of the water... ("blows" being the operative word).

Why wasn't this rejected for "Bad motive"??? What a bunch of crap! (And the picture of Deshler Tower was great, don't get me wrong)

Where's the consistency!?!? Someone should get sent back to "Screener 101" class.
Its not percieved, these are quotes YOU made in this thread. And saying someone else's photo's blow? Classy. To me doesn't sound too mature.

Quote:
Why a photo of a tower and one of a caboose were rejected for "Bad motive".
I would guess as soon as you turned into a "My photos are great and everybody else's sucks" thread.

If you want your questions answered at least show some common sense and maturity. I don't think people in the forums mind helping out, but it gets annoying when the thread is filled with sarcasm and peoples suggestions are put down and mocked with smart ass comments.

Oh and BTW, how much do you pay to upload and view photos here?

Last edited by Ru1056; 07-04-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:37 AM   #34
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

There have been some good replys to this thread, but just let it go guys...some folks just dont understand the first rule of holes....when your in one, stop digging!! its obvious this person is just here to stir the pot.

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #35
Wyn

More on consistancy. How come this one wasn't rejected? Looks like bad lighting (shadow on side of engines, can't see the trucks), also lots of clutter, telephone poles, water tower.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=111356

That's the main complaint, coinsistancy. I don't think it's the rejection that's the complaint. It's the rejection, followed shortly thereafter by a similar photo being accepted.
Wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #36
rbenko

These endless threads always make me laugh. For all you out there that bitch and moan about shots being rejected while similar shots are accepted, just remember this:

- The screeners are human - they are not automatons. They can have mood swings, bad days, good days, etc.

- There are general guidelines to what is accepted and/or rejected, but obviously these are HIGHLY subjective.

- This is a FREE website - it only costs you time and effort to upload your pics. If they get rejected, try to get over it and MOVE ON.

- For the love of God, try and post only your BEST efforts, not EVERY effort. On any given outing, you are lucky to get one or two true 'keepers'. Many times I've gone out for a whole day and have come home with only marginally good results. The last thing I want to do is to run to my computer and upload my half-a**ed sh*t to Railpictures.net for the entire world to see.

It's just like anything in life, boys - you always want to put your best foot forward. Save the questionable crap for your own website.

IMHO, their screening process isn't nearly tough enough, but hey, it's not my website...

Jumping off my soapbox now...

My Railpictures.net Photos

Last edited by rbenko; 07-04-2005 at 04:55 PM.
rbenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #37
fotoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenko
The last thing I want to do is to run to my computer and upload all my half-a**ed sh*t to Railpictures.net for the entire world to see.
Wow, I thought thats what everyone does.

Super Van
Old 07-05-2005, 02:49 AM   #38
Robby

Quote:

- For the love of God, try and post only your BEST efforts, not EVERY effort. On any given outing, you are lucky to get one or two true 'keepers'. Many times I've gone out for a whole day and have come home with only marginally good results. The last thing I want to do is to run to my computer and upload my half-a**ed sh*t to Railpictures.net for the entire world to see.

It's just like anything in life, boys - you always want to put your best foot forward. Save the questionable crap for your own website.

Amen brother.
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #39
ssw9662

Talking

Quote:
Let's play guess the forum member...........

"I comment on boring "wedgies" and "rosters" alot, but my website has PLENTY of them."

Who am I?
I know who this is, but I'm not saying to keep things peaceful...
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #40
Wyn

Quote:
These endless threads always make me laugh. For all you out there that bitch and moan about shots being rejected while similar shots are accepted, just remember this:

--snip--

IMHO, their screening process isn't nearly tough enough, but hey, it's not my website...

Jumping off my soapbox now...
Man, it must be nice knowing everything, that way you don't have to ask questions anymore.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:15 AM   #41
rbenko

Smile

Quote:
Man, it must be nice knowing everything, that way you don't have to ask questions anymore
It's a tough burden, but I think I'm up to it

Seriously, it's kind of amazing seeing thread after thread of essentially the same questions. I understand people have questions, and they'd like to enhance their photography skills, but may I suggest a few things before trying to upload and/or starting a new thread?

Spend a few hours looking at the site - check out the Most Popular pics, the Screener's Choices, the Editor's Pics. Use the Photo Stats section to see who the most popular photographers are, and check out their shots. Take a look and try to figure out why these photos are deemed 'good' by the screeners and/or the masses. Do some random searches - find some photos you like and study them a bit. What makes them good? What makes them stand out from the crowd? What do you like and dislike about them? What features of the photos would you like to emulate? Granted, many qualities that make a memorable photograph are highly subjective, but in most you will see common elements: Good lighting, lots of detail, a non-wedgie perspective, an interesting location, an uncommon train, etc.

Also, like I've mentioned, there has to be 500 threads about 'bad motive?' or 'why was this rejected?' - take a look at the archives and see what others have had to say about them - I bet you'll find your answer without much effort, and without starting another thread.

Above all, remember that this site is NOT the be-all-to-end-all on railroad photography - I think it is one of the better sites out there (i.e. a decent ratio of memorable photos to ordinary photos) and according to Wyn, I know everything, so it must be true. Still, there are many other railroad sites out there that will post just about anything you want - if you don't find these screeners acceptable, post somewhere else.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #42
Chris Starnes
Administrator

I couldn't agree more with Robert's posts....very good way of putting things! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2005, 01:13 PM   #43
Wyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Starnes
I couldn't agree more with Robert's posts....very good way of putting things! Thanks!
I take that to mean that the board administrator say's we can't ask questions any more?

My advise to Robert, since he knows everything, is to explain the nuances of the rejections process to us because if he read the threads he will find that the great unwashed here can't figure out why the photos were rejected most of the time and usually post a similar picture as proof. There is no rhyme or reason. This mornings rejection is this afternoons post, by someone else. Similar shot, similar lighting. Yeah, I know different screeners, different moods different everything.

That's why I said more consistancy from the screeners is needed.

On the other hand, if Robert had actually read the threads in this forum, he would have found out that most of the time the questions are answered by others in this forum.

I have to ask questions here because I don't get rejection e-mails for some reason. How else am I supposed to know oh great one?

Last edited by Wyn; 07-06-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #44
rbenko

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
How else am I supposed to know oh great one?
I like you, Wyn - you show me respect

The point of my semi-rant is that it seems in most instances people don't make the effort to figure it out themselves. Why you don't get rejection emails, I have no clue - you need to take that up with the administrators of the site. What I rail against (pun intended) is the constant complaining about the screeners, and the perceived inconsistancy of the process. When you have multiple screeners trying to weed through hundreds of shot a day, you will get a fair share of 'similar' marginal shots that will be accepted and rejected - that's just the nature of the beast.

The bottom line: If you are thinking about uploading a picture, and you think it has a good chance of being rejected, save yourself and the screeners' time and DON'T SUBMIT IT!! Why would you want to post a shot that is marginal at best? It undoubtedly does not represent your best effort, so why try to post it? Like I've said before, there are other sites that will post anything - put them up there. Save this site for your best efforts, not every effort.

Last edited by rbenko; 07-06-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #45
Ru1056

Quote:
Why would you want to post a shot that is marginal at best? It undoubtedly does not represent your best effort, so why try to post it?
Because there are some people who only take pictures to post on this site, not for the fun of the hobby.

Again, to all those people who constantly complain; How much do you pay to upload photos here? How much you pay to view them?

Old 07-06-2005, 04:02 PM   #46
Wyn

Quote:
The bottom line: If you are thinking about uploading a picture, and you think it has a good chance of being rejected, save yourself and the screeners' time and DON'T SUBMIT IT!! Why would you want to post a shot that is marginal at best? It undoubtedly does not represent your best effort, so why try to post it? Like I've said before, there are other sites that will post anything - put them up there. Save this site for your best efforts, not every effort.
Look Bob, I've only submitted 6 pictures and all have been rejected, I have hundreds in my computer. I don't submit pictures that I THINK WILL GET REJECTED, why would I? I do take clues from what I see posted, so I'll submit something similar. I'm not a professional photog, I'm just some guy chasing FEC thru town on my bike and taking some shots with my small digital camera. I don't know why I don't get rejection e-mails either, they have my correct e-mail address in the system, I use this forum to find what went wrong because the screeners won't tell me.

Your sugestions don't work, that's what I've been doing. If you read the forums, like you suggest others do, you would have known this.

Oh yeah, fix your sarcasm detection meter, it's broken.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #47
rbenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
I don't submit pictures that I THINK WILL GET REJECTED, why would I?
Because I've seen the line "I didn't think they would accept this one, but I tried anyway" many times on these posts. I don't really know your particular situation (you didn't even start this thread) - I am addressing the vast majority of these types of threads. If my comments don't apply to you, then why are you even bothering to reply?

Anyway, I think we've shed enough light on this topic. One thing I don't want to do is discourage people from pursuing their hobby - I just want people to use their heads a bit more (which should apply to basically every aspect of life). I wish you luck in all your future photography endeavors.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #48
busyEMT

I vote for Robert as RP's PR guy. Patience is strong in this one, as Yoda would say.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #49
Wyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyEMT
I vote for Robert as RP's PR guy. Patience is strong in this one, as Yoda would say.
So you're also saying people shouldn't ask questions about rejections?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #50
Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
So you're also saying people shouldn't ask questions about rejections?
No I don't believe that is what he is saying. People should ask, I don't know how you could draw that conclusion from any of the posts. The problem is when you go about in a disrespectful and smart-ass manner, people tend to get annoyed with that.

Wyn, stop taking this thread personal. It sucks you can't get your rejection emails, but nobody but the site admins can help you on that. Rob had some good advice. This site is free, and at least to me it is a hobby. Your not making a living off of your pictures so why take it so personal?

And if you guys want to get in a flame war, do it somewhere else, and stop wasting bandwidth.