Old 06-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan
Question Railpics and Jetphotos?

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=483135

LOL, that pic should be on both sites.

I just realized jetphotos existed.... Is it run by the same people as Railpics? It says the administrator is Chris...Is that Chris Kilroy or Chris Starnes?
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
ssw9662

I believe they are run by the same people.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Yep...same people with a different screening crew at each site.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
C-VOTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnscalerailfan
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=483135

LOL, that pic should be on both sites.

I just realized jetphotos existed....
Many more people know the opposite, you can tell from the no. of views of that picture, which is less than a week old (June02,2005) and has views more than two times the no. of views of the all time popular from Railpictures.net

In fact, I learnt about this site from Jetphotos.

Last edited by C-VOTV; 06-09-2005 at 12:42 PM.
C-VOTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

That's interesting, you'd think Railpics would have more viewers. Guess there's a lot more aviation buffs out there than I realize. Maybe aviation buffs are just more avid than Railfans. Seems the photographers on there have hundreds uopn hundreds of photos compared to less than 100 on average here. It could be though the photos are not as scrutinized by the screeners.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Seems the photographers on there have hundreds uopn hundreds of photos compared to less than 100 on average here. It could be though the photos are not as scrutinized by the screeners.
The traffic frequency is normally a lot greater at an airport than trackside.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
C-VOTV

Quote:
That's interesting, you'd think Railpics would have more viewers. Guess there's a lot more aviation buffs out there than I realize. Maybe aviation buffs are just more avid than Railfans. Seems the photographers on there have hundreds uopn hundreds of photos compared to less than 100 on average here. It could be though the photos are not as scrutinized by the screeners.
In Jet photos the photos have to be accepted or rejected by atleast 2 screeners. In Airliners.net , the photos can be rejected by one screener but needs to be accepted by two screeners, if the first two screeneres have opposite verdicts, the picture is screened by a third screeners who decision will be the outcome since it has a 2/3 majority.

Comparing both forms of photography,aviation is more convenient because of the traffic and timings and you can listen to the Tower frequencies using radio scanners and have precise info of the aircraft thats coming/going. Rail photography is more painful but the results could be more satisfying and fulfilling and especially when the screeners don't have any mercy. Railpictures are more scenic and there is an infinite scope for variations and creativity compared to the other. I like both of them.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
busyEMT

You will find a lot of script and meta tags referencing JetPhotos on RP.net.

And, on the submission page (of RP.net), when it reads submissions shouldn't take >2d to process.

Knowing this,
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-VOTV
In Jet photos the photos have to be accepted or rejected by atleast 2 screeners.
explains that warning.

I've always wondered, because my submissions never have taken more than a few hours.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

realy its anice pic bu we should c it here in railpictures.net
mohamed
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
petertenthije

Quote:
Don't think that plane spotters are more avid than rail fans.

However in the US train spotting may be more popular than plane spotting, the same can not be said about Europe. I have never seen a train spotter in either the Netherlands. Germany or Belgium (and I've been around!). Only in London did I see two trainspotters over a one year period. However, whichever airport I go to there always seems to be someone with a big ass camera.

You should also bare in mind that this site caters only to the US. International pictures are accepted, but not actually encouraged. Just how long was it since promises where made that other nations would be added to the drop down list? In contrast, JP caters to the world. Any airport, airline or aircraft with over 50 photos (or thereabouts) gets added automatically to the drop down list. That's a whole lot of airports and airlines!
petertenthije is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
C-VOTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodi4200
realy its anice pic bu we should c it here in railpictures.net
mohamed
The screeners are going to reject it for "Bad lighting","Bad Angle" and whatever they can get from their library of rejections.
It is an awesome picture and I guess Jetphotos screeners are more creative compared to their counterparts who look for a reason to reject a picture.
I believe it would be more fair to look for a reason to accept a photo like what Jetphotos believes in.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:20 AM   #12
JohnJ

A big difference between Jetphotos.net and Railpictures.net is that Jetphotos has some very significant competition in the form of Airliners.net, a site that has very strict screening rules. Jetphotos bills itself as being less strict about screening than Airliners.net, and I've gotten a number of shots accepted at Jetphotos.net that didn't make the cut at Airliners.net.

From the Jetphotos.net site info page:

"We're people who don't believe that one should have to own a $5000 camera, and be a professional photographer, to get their photos accepted into an online airliner photo database."

Conversely, the screening rules here at Railpictures.net are even more restrictive than Airliners.net (it's not impossible to get a cloudy day shot accepted at Airliners.net, for instance).
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:25 AM   #13
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ
Conversely, the screening rules here at Railpictures.net are even more restrictive than Airliners.net (it's not impossible to get a cloudy day shot accepted at Airliners.net, for instance).
But without the huge screening cue, and without having to goose step for the admins, screeners, and mods.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
(it's not impossible to get a cloudy day shot accepted at Airliners.net, for instance).
It's not impossible here either, but you'd better do a heckuva lot better than a wedgie when it's cloudy outside.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:03 AM   #15
C-VOTV

Quote:

Airliners.net rules the aviation Photography, no other sites even come close to it. It's screening standards are very high.

I have almost 150 pics in Airliners.net. The difference b/w A.net and Railpictures.

1. A.net looks for Picture quality, clarity and sharpness while Rail pictures is more concerned about the background rather than the train itself.

RP accepts a picture which is more scenic even if the train/subject is no that sharp. A.net accepts only if the subject is sharp.

2.The dificulty in getting accepted in RP is that you can spend one day and get 2 or 3 train pictures and forget it if it is not a clear day.

If you go to an airport you could get up to 200 -300 pictures if you spend an afternoon and so long as the aircraft is clear, the cloudy atmosphere is not an issue. It by no means mean that the screening is liberal. The screening is tougher than rail pics in terms of quality. But you have more shots to be accepted. The traffic to that site is unbelievable.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #16
JohnJ

Quote:
My basis for making this statment is my acceptance rate at both sites. Airliners.net has recently added a new feature that gives you an allotted number of uploads based on your acceptance rate. My acceptance rate there is about 80% accepted vs. 20% rejects. Using the same camera, lens, etc. I'd say my acceptance rate on Railpictures.net is south of 50%. So at least for me, it's easier to get a shot accepted to Airliners.net than it is to Railpictures.net. Granted, a lot of that has to do with playing by the rules of the respective web site, and I've learned the ropes (and idiosyncrasies of the screeners) fairly well at A.net.

Just like cloudy shots will earn you a reject here, shots that are poorly-centered, soft, unlevel, or grainy will be rejected from A.net quickly. The difference is that I have some level of control over those technical features. I have yet to figure out how to make a day sunny.
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #17
C-VOTV

My acceptance rate there is about 80% accepted vs. 20% rejects.

That simply means that the screening of RP is tougher than A.net because the freedom of the photographer for a shot on a particular day is limited. Mind you, tougher screening doesn't necessarily mean better screening.

In A.net the photographer can stretch his skills to get a good picture on a crappy day. If A.net was to introduce rules like common angle/cloudy/common aircraft then you would see the difference. But they see no point in having such a rule.

A.net pictures' quality is one of the best in the web and nobody comes close to that. The number of viewers per day says it all.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #18
Ween

Quote:
A.net pictures' quality is one of the best in the web and nobody comes close to that. The number of viewers per day says it all.
You are comparing apples to oranges here. There are far more aviation buffs than there are railroad buffs, especially overseas. Just because RP.net has less viewers doesn't equate to them having an inferior product. What you are doing is trying to compare NASCAR racing to Formula 1 racing if your sole basis is the number of viewers...
Old 07-02-2005, 03:25 AM   #19
C-VOTV

You are comparing apples to oranges here.

You are absolutely right, I was actually comparing A.net to other Aviation sites by number of viewers. You can't compare Rail Pics to Aviation pics and hence no question of inferiority arises.

Moreover RP.net has no other competitors. In aviation there is a large competition like A.net, JP.net, planepictures.net etc.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #20
ssw9662

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-VOTV
Moreover RP.net has no other competitors. In aviation there is a large competition like A.net, JP.net, planepictures.net etc.
I wouldn't say no competitors. There is rrpicturearchives.net. They have no standards (Though IIRC you have to get one photo accepted to be able to continue uploading photos) and while there are some great photos on there, a good deal of the shots are under/overexposed, soft, blurry, poorly cropped, etc., though one thing I like about rrpicturearchives is that there are no ads accept for one banner ad on the bottom of the page, I have no idea how that guy makes a living.

I checked out airliners and jetphotos and they appear nearly indentical, while RP and JP are a heck of a lot better than their competitors.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 07-02-2005 at 07:10 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #21
C-VOTV

while RP and JP are a heck of a lot better than their competitors.
I can agree with you on the first one and I better not comment here about your verdict on the second.