Old 12-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #1
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail
Default Going away, but that's the point.

It's going away, but, uh, that's kinda the point!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=5467889

Any suggestions?

Mine is bad, but this is fine? (not knocking the shot, I think it's awesome, just making a point).

Image © Bill Edgar
PhotoID: 600231
Photograph © Bill Edgar

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman

Last edited by StL-rail; 12-24-2016 at 04:24 AM.
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
KevinM

I suspect that the lighting played a role here. The lighting angle is not great. This shot also doesn't have the dramatic, blowing snow that is seen in the example you posted. The only other thing I see are some tiny cropping issues. There are bits of cut-off objects in the photo, such as that orange thing in the upper left corner, and something else on the right border. These may not bother some viewers, but I prefer to avoid border distractions if I can.

As we've all learned over the years, you CAN voilate the "guidelines" here, such as the "going-away" shot, but when you tread on that territory, a technically good photo is no longer good enough. It becomes completely discretionary for the screener. If the shot doesn't excite him much, you're done.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

I saw Bill's shot yesterday and while I love the old CPR livery and the scene is very dramatic, the lack of sharpness really jumped out at me. But obviously the screener felt the pros outweighed the cons.

Kevin pretty much nailed it with regard to your rejected shot. The basic scene looks fine to me, decent composition and lots of interesting stuff. But I am both a CP fan and a fan of going away shots. But there is something lacking in the lighting. The only suggestion I can make is you might try darkening the highlights a bit, they look slightly blown out.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

I've seen shots like yours get on, but the cropping (right side) is an issue, and background (yard) appears to not be in very good focus, lighting and shadows are playing a role too.

The other guy's shot is not at all comparable to yours. At all...

His shot is kind of lacking on focus, which for me is an issue, but it conveys a sense of action that yours just does not.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
RobJor

I'd think maybe cropping off the right so more attention given to the yard and crew member on the ground and where the train is headed. Not sure of the out of focus background, if that is a problem, not so much to me.

Bill's photo was a tough shot, esp when you turn away. Not sure how much is focus and how much is all the snow and exhaust around.

Maybe I should revisit this going away rejection but I missed on the composition, not that easy. I started new and submitted a few snow shots and all rejected. Finally got a couple in on appeal and then quit for 6 months. Might e fun to retry some now.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shabbona-6.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	9329  
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #6
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL-rail View Post
It's going away, but, uh, that's kinda the point.

Mine is bad, but this is fine? (not knocking the shot, I think it's awesome, just making a point).

Image © Bill Edgar
PhotoID: 600231
Photograph © Bill Edgar
Funny, I was "focused" on this very shot for all the issues before this thread appeared. Hey, at least the distant pine trees seem to be in focus.
A front-coupled roster shot of a geep also made it into the top 4 a few days ago, so I guess anything is possible. Maybe I'll give the going-away LV Flickr shot seen at left a try.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 12-25-2016 at 12:41 AM. Reason: additional text
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 AM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

Maybe I should revisit this going away rejection but I missed on the composition, not that easy. I started new and submitted a few snow shots and all rejected. Finally got a couple in on appeal and then quit for 6 months. Might e fun to retry some now.

Bob
I like the UPY snow shot, but I think I would remove the hue in favor of a cooler color temp.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I'd think maybe cropping off the right so more attention given to the yard and crew member on the ground and where the train is headed. Not sure of the out of focus background, if that is a problem, not so much to me.

Bill's photo was a tough shot, esp when you turn away. Not sure how much is focus and how much is all the snow and exhaust around.

Bob
I like the shot but it definitely has some color and contrast issues.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

I tried a quick and dirty run through Photoshop and came up with this, which may or may not be an improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shabbona-6.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	856.4 KB
ID:	9330  
Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
RobJor

Thanks, probably need to do something on that line, I'll give it a try.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote