baggydave

Default Paq????????????

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...07&key=1681304
I will bow to your experience
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Mitch is the panmeister and may have some better comments, but here is my reaction. First off, a neat picture. But it probably did not get the RP cigar for two reasons. Your shutter speed looks to have been a bit too fast (for what was probably a rather slow train) so the foreground and background are not sufficiently blurred to provide enough illusion of speed. Secondly, the crop is a bit too tight. But I like it, not perfect but an eye catching way of showing a couple of fascinating pieces of equipment. Far more interesting and higher quality than many of the images they do let in. Presumably you cannot fix the shutter speed issue, but perhaps your original would allow you to widen the crop, in which case you might resubmit. If you can't do that I would consider appealing.

Last edited by John West; 07-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Mitch is the panmeister and may have some better comments, but here is my reaction. First off, a neat picture. But it probably did not get the RP cigar for two reasons. Your shutter speed looks to have been a bit too fast (for what was probably a rather slow train) so the foreground and background are not sufficiently blurred to provide enough illusion of speed. Secondly, the crop is a bit too tight. But I like it, not perfect but an eye catching way of showing a couple of fascinating pieces of equipment. Far more interesting and higher quality than many of the images they do let in. Presumably you cannot fix the shutter speed issue, but perhaps your original would allow you to widen the crop, in which case you might resubmit. If you can't do that I would consider appealing.
I don't mind the shutter speed so much as sometimes (and I think this could be one of those times) a subtle blur speaks more than an insane one. I'm in agreement about the crop, I find it a bit too tight on the right at least. Then again we could be barking up the wrong tree altogether and their objection may be to the overabundance of portly gents in the shot!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
baggydave

Well I knew that experience would tell out. I submitted a new crop and it has been accepted. Many thanks to you both for advice. Much appreciated.
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
Well I knew that experience would tell out. I submitted a new crop and it has been accepted. Many thanks to you both for advice. Much appreciated.
The difference between the two is night and day - night and day in Alaska in late June, anyway.

I think either would've gotten in on a different day - and either could've been rejected on different days.

Looks like you made a few edits on the accepted shot - rotation, a fraction wider but perhaps the one that pushed it through would've been the brightness or contrast. RP seems more apt to let a photo in that is brighter with softer shadows.

Nice shot, btw. I'll agree with WDS - a slight blur has it's appeal.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
conrail1990

I could see a cropping or blurry rejection, but not PAQ. Unless the screener didn't pay attention and looked at it as MOW equipment.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Ron Flanary

No way it was a PAQ rejection. Just no way. Cropping or blur? Yes, maybe so. At any rate, I thought it was an interesting and relevant image, and I'm glad they finally accepted it.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

That large man is all I keep seeing!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #9
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
That large man is all I keep seeing!
This

fillerfillerfiller