Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
AdamCKach

Default Worth Appealing?

I wish PA winters would provide more sunny days. More specifically, more sunny days when the D&H local actually is lead by a D&H survivor.

Is this worth appealing, or should I can it? Unfortunately, most of my shots from this morning suffer from the dreaded overcast sky (argh).

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1244987893

I guess I wouldn't mind the "common power" comment but for the D&H at the point.
AdamCKach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Can it. You cut off the bridge and rest of train. Just becomes kind of standard at that point. As for the common power, how is it not, less than a month ago there was a whole series of photos with this engine in perfect light. It's still running everyday isn't it, then it's not really that rare.

Trust me, I used to say the exact same thing when I first started uploading to RP centuries ago. I used to catch foreign power or something cool and it would get canned and I'd beg and plead. As time went on I saw that it is possible to get better shots of this power whether it meant a different trip or different composition.

FWIW, I have yet to get a good shot of a BNSF 'swoosh' but that doesn't mean I don't have any okay ones in my collection.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 12-22-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
AdamCKach

Shoot--were you my resident editor? If so, don't take my post as an insult to your opinion. I merely sought to see whether it was correctable. Unfortunately, I always find myself in Northeastern PA on cruddy days. [If only I could find from what high point the one fellow shot, enabling him to angle down into the valley on a cloudy day.]

Quote:
As for the common power, how is it not, less than a month ago there was a whole series of photos with this engine in perfect light. It's still running everyday isn't it, then it's not really that rare.
Under that line of reasoning, would any regular steamers ever qualify as rare power? Just messing with you. It's the attorney in me.

William and Lance did get handful of good shots earlier--with its sister, nonetheless! I only wish they'd have followed it to Wilkes-Barre, as assuming the light continued, a shot facing the bridge from the north would have been magnificent. It also would have kept me inside, where it was warm, instead of following this dang thing from Buttonwood to Wilkes-Barre.

I'll can it--in the folder with about sixty other shots of the Gauntlet. I'm thrilled to be home for Christmas, and hope to catch a sunny day movement. You would not believe how many shots I have of the bridge, and all on cloudy days. The photography gods--not to mention the lack of skill gods --conspire against me.

And by the way, Andrew--stay out of Northeastern PA. I think you've single-handedly caused dozens of Scranton-area photographers to stop shooting Steamtown after your most recent shots.

Last edited by AdamCKach; 12-22-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
ddavies

I will agree with Andy. Now if you had shown the whole bridge with snow and ice covering river ...
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
AdamCKach

After going through the whole set, is this worth saving? It's as decent as the others get. But, it's also the same angle, sky, and power.

http://www.kachurak.com/dh_local/1.jpg
Old 12-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

My guess is that they are all worth saving... and while I personally enjoyed that shot, it's not RP.net... it's too noisy/grainy, and it doesn't take advantage of the location... beyond too tight in my mind.

But, if I took it, would I keep it? Of course. It's a D&H unit powering a train.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
AdamCKach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
My guess is that they are all worth saving... and while I personally enjoyed that shot, it's not RP.net... it's too noisy/grainy, and it doesn't take advantage of the location... beyond too tight in my mind.

But, if I took it, would I keep it? Of course. It's a D&H unit powering a train.
I figured as much, but needed a second opinion. I bumped up the ISO to compensate for the lighting and speed, so the graininess was inevitable.

Well, I have about two weeks in the area to figure out where that high point is. Hopefully I'll be able to throw a submission or two RP's way.

Thanks folks.

(By the way--not going to delete them, but "saving" as to if there was anything I could do to improve the shot. There is--take it again. )
Old 12-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCKach
And by the way, Andrew--stay out of Northeastern PA. I think you've single-handedly caused dozens of Scranton-area photographers to stop shooting Steamtown after your most recent shots.
Hahahahahahaha! I'll try; can't make any promises.

As for having more shots of the bridge on cloudy days, I'd be interested in seeing them IF they show the entire scene and not just the train. Considering you are only an hour or so south of the Land of Perpetual Cloudiness a.k.a. Binghamton, NY (good luck getting sun there!), I would try to get a little more creative with the bridge and area. Of course, this is just my taste, but if you happen to be out on a day where you think regular shots will be ho-hum and you have real common power there's no harm in trying to be different. I'm not sure what type of buildings the line runs past as I only checked out the bridges last time in W-B, but some old brick structures on a cloudy day just go together. Just some things to think about next time you're itching to go out and its crappy out.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #9
NSFan14

No offense what so ever. But the image really isnt that great. The sky looks washed out,Bad lighting & it looks to me that its back lit but I dont have the greatest monitor so i cant tell.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
No offense what so ever. But the image really isnt that great. The sky looks washed out,Bad lighting & it looks to me that its back lit but I dont have the greatest monitor so i cant tell.
It's going to be washed out because it was overcast with no definition in the clouds. You can tell by the lighting that this was the case. It was already stated that he bumped up the ISO which produces the extra noise. Exposure is spot on to me. I maye have even gone a little darker.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
AdamCKach

Common power on a poor-lighting day? Though Jeff did get the whole, albeit short, consist. I had no idea they were dragging this all the way to Bingo, though. I figured it would terminate in Taylor.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...216439&nseq=10

Last edited by AdamCKach; 12-23-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCKach
Common power on a poor-lighting day? Though Jeff did get the whole, albeit short, consist.
You got it! Although I see a few other issues which surprise me, but this isn't the place.