Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default D7100

I am thinking about upgrading or purchasing an HDR camera, and the D7100 caught my eye.

Anyone use it or have any feedback?
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I am thinking about upgrading or purchasing an HDR camera, and the D7100 caught my eye.

Anyone use it or have any feedback?
I've been using the D5100 which is basically a level below the D7100 for a year and a half and I've been quite happy with it.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
CSX1702

Well I'm just using a lowly 3100 but that looks like a damn good camera.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
KevinM

Last year, I played with all of the higher-end Nikon Cameras before just biting the bullet and getting a D4. I wanted good low-light performance and a fast shutter, and none of the other Nikons could deliver both.

I had been using a D7000, which is a great camera, as long as the light is decent. The 6 fps burst rate was something I could live with, even though my Canon-shooter friends had 8. Where the D7000 came up short was AF. The array size was OK, but the damn thing didn't always focus well in bad light. IQ was also hit and miss above ISO 800. There were times I got great pictures at 2500, and times when there was no detail at all in shots taken at 1600.

The D7100 is a bit of an improvement on the D7000. I don't think you'll have AF problems with it. It has the largest AF array of any DSLR I have ever picked up and that focus seems pretty snappy. It also has 24 MP, if MPs are your thing. Not sure if it is any better at high ISO. I have not tried that. If your plan is to stay with DX, then I would recommend the D7100. It is what the D7000 should have been.

I still use the D7000 BTW. I typically have a 24-120mm f/4 VR on my D4, and a 70-200mm f/4 VR on my D7000. That combo works pretty nicely. Two cameras, two lenses.....no changing lenses in the field.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 02-21-2014 at 12:44 AM.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Last year, I played with all of the higher-end Nikon Cameras before just biting the bullet and getting a D4.....

......any DSLR I have ever picked up....
Just how rich are you?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Just how rich are you?
LOL! Yeah, right! I've never bought anything like that before in my life. I don't even own a flat-screen TV, nor do I have one of those fancy smart phones. The tube I am reading this on is a Sony Trinitron, that arrived at my house the day Dale Earnhardt was killed at Daytona. I decided to buy a decent camera because when you reach a certain age, it suddenly occurs to you that you aren't going to live forever and you can't take it with you.

In recent years, I have done a lot of charters. As a steam enthusiast, that's the only way I can see what I want to see. Charters cost a fair bit when you add up the charter fees, the airfare, hotels and rental cars. I try to do things as much on the cheap as I can, but it is still expensive. After doing this for a while, I just got sick of the poor performance of the D90, D7000, etc. in bad light. You can't control what you are going to get for weather conditions at an event that is planned months in advance. It dawned on me that with all of the loot I was spending on travel and charters, it was just plum stupid to be showing up with a sub-par camera. More and more of the good shooters on these trips were going full-frame. I was bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Not any more.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 02-21-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 AM   #7
CSX1702

Quote:
LOL! Right. I've never bought anything like that before in my life. I don't even own a flat-screen TV, nor do I have one of those fancy smart phones. The tube I am reading this on is a Sony Trinitron, that arrived at my house the day Dale Earnhardt was killed at Daytona. I decided to buy a decent camera because when you reach a certain age, it suddenly occurs to you that you aren't going to live forever and you can't take it with you.

In recent years, I have done a lot of charters. As a steam enthusiast, that's the only way I can see what I want to see. Charters cost a fair bit when you add up the charter fees, the airfare, hotels and rental cars. I try to do things as much on the cheap as I can, but it is still expensive. After doing this for a while, I just got sick of the poor performance of the D90, D7000, etc. in bad light. You can't control what you are going to get at an event that is planned months in advance. It suddenly dawned on me that with all of the loot I was spending on travel and charters, it was just plum stupid to be showing up with a sub-par camera. More and more of the good shooters on these trips were going full-frame. I was bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Not any more.
Okay, just making sure. Because if you were rich, I was gonna have you buy me a 71.

And I understand, I was doing good to get the 3100.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
troy12n
Banned

You think the D4 is expensive, price out the Canon 1DX
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #9
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You think the D4 is expensive, price out the Canon 1DX
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...meras/eos_1d_x

$6799.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Just to Piss half the people in forum off - and Indecline (whom I made this for some years ago).

Name:  Calvin Pee Nikon.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  28.9 KB

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 02-21-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
Indecline

It's OK, I have a D3s and a D800e which all make fuzzy out of focus photos for RPnet (which is why I am no longer submitting). But they both rock and I'm glad I bought both of them. Why mess around with the consumer crap when you spend a ton of money on travel and gas to take train photos? Seriously!
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
(which is why I am no longer submitting).
Oh no, say it isn't so.

Good thing for Facebook.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #13
Indecline

I am truly done -Chris Kilory would be really happy if I asked to remove all of my subpar crap, but fu$k him, they accepted it so it stays for now.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
Oskar

Quote:
I wanted good low-light performance and a fast shutter, and none of the other Nikons could deliver both.
Just out of curiosity: besides those features you mention that obviously matter to a serious photographer, is there a noticeable difference in image quality between these cameras? Looking at your pictures (in good light at least) I can't tell if it was taken with a D7000, D90 or D4.

Last edited by Oskar; 02-21-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
KevinM

Hi Oskar,

On a nice, sunny day, you can achieve excellent results with a good point & shoot camera and you certainly don't need a D4 or a 1DX. Pixel-peepers could probably find the difference in the raw images, but at the resolution we post to RP, you'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart. I recall being amazed a couple of years back, when I found that one RP photographer whose images I really enjoyed, was shooting everything with simple P&S.

When it comes to pre-sunrise, post-sunset, or rainy day conditions, that's when the FF DSLRs start to separate themselves from the consumer stuff. As the ISOs climb, noise increases and image quality slowly goes to hell. Sure, there's noise-reduction software, but the piper must be paid. As you screen out the noise, you screen out the detail as well. With my D40X, the decision to go from ISO 200 to 400 was a big step. The images at 400 were noticeably grainy. 800 was a wing and a prayer with that camera. With the D90, ISO 800 wasn't so scary, but 1600 was. On the D7000, 400 was fine, 800 was a bit grainy and anything above that was a crap-shoot. Sometimes, the images were fine. Sometimes, there was no detail at all. I could not trust it.

The defining moments came on one of Pete Lerro's charters almost exactly a year ago. My D7000 had problems focusing in the bad light. I ended up with a lot of blurry pictures. During a night shoot, which involved actors, I could not get my shutter speed up enough to freeze the actors (who were trying to hold still anyway) and still get a decent quality image. With a steam engine, you need a high shutter speed at night, or the steam plume ends up looking like a big fuzzy blob. People used to look at long-exposure images and say "wow, a night shot!" Now such images are completely and totally passe. Post one on RP and watch it die a miserable death. People want to see a nice, crispy steam plume that looks REAL. To do that, you need to be able to reliably shoot ISO 2500 or higher. My D7000 could not do that.

With the D4, I have found that I can easily shoot my nephew's drum corps meets under ball-field lights at 3200 with no need for noise reduction. Even at 6400, I only have to kiss it a little with NR in post. I have a friend who shoots sports professionally with a D3S, and he tells me he is at over 10,000 ISO all the time. I believe I do have an image on RP at ISO 8000. Any flaws in that image were likely poor processing on my part. The camera did fine.

As I noted previously, it would be one thing to come home from a 50-mile car trip with bad pictures, but when you've spent over a thousand dollars on travel and killed off a week of valuable vacation time, it starts to get under your skin when the camera ain't up to the task. It also doesn't help when you look around at the other folks on the trip, and you see lots of D3s, D4s, D700s, 5DMk3s, and 1DXs. You suddenly realize that you're facing major league pitching with a little league bat.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
JRMDC

Quote:
With a steam engine, you need a high shutter speed at night, or the steam plume ends up looking like a big fuzzy blob. People used to look at long-exposure images and say "wow, a night shot!" Now such images are completely and totally passe.
What he said.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #17
Greg P

I would love to get a D4 lol; but at 6,000 dollars, I don't think I can afford it right now.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
KevinM

Hi Greg,

Buying a FF body is only the beginning. If you've been shooting DX lenses, you'd need to replace your glass as well. The Nikons have an "Auto DX Crop" feature which will crop off the edges of an image shot on a FF camera with a DX lens, but you lose a lot of resolution in the process. It works great on the D800. On any of the others, it's a last resort.

You can get a FF body (the D610) for about 2 grand. Unfortunately, the AF array on that camera is just tiny compared to what you will see in the viewfinder of a D7100. The D610 is a compromise. If your shooting style allows you to focus, compose, then shoot, the D610 will be fine. If the action you shoot is a little faster, you might not like it.

If you are heavily invested in DX lenses, get a D7100 and be happy. I wish I could trade my D7000 in for one. Best AF array on any DSLR bar none. I am pretty sure you will like the results you get with it. Spend an extra $200 and buy the grip to go with it. The larger, heavier camera is more stable and shooting verticals is soooooo much easier. Buy the Nikon grip. When you buy the best, you only cry once.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Oskar

Thank you for the explanation.
I was considering buying a D7100 too, this helps me to weight the pros and cons. Never tought about getting a FF for the reasons you just mentioned (and cameras cost twice here than in the US; the D7100 cost about 2000 dollars, body only)
Given the quality of your work it certainly was a wise investement. It's just the right tool for you; it wouldn't be smart to spend a lot of money travelling to get a handful of useless pictures.
Regards.
Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #20
Greg P

The only lens I own actually is the one that came with my 7D so I'm good in that sense.

It seems to be getting good reviews (7100) I do shoot mostly in the day or people with a flash, so I might be good until I can afford one of those D4's.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
KevinM

7D???? You're a Canon-shooter?

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
Greg P

Quote:
7D???? You're a Canon-shooter?
Yeah, and I am looking at upgrading to get some features like HDR. I looked at the 70D, but in reading the comparisons, it looks like the Nikon has more features for the money.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #23
KevinM

Hi Greg,

Yeah, the in-camera HDR was one of the draw-cards for my recent upgrades. Now that I've played with it a bit, I would caution you not to put too much weight on that feature when evaluating potential replacement cameras. My D4 has the HDR feature. It only works in the JPEG capture mode....meaning you don't end up with a raw image. You basically tell it how may stops or EVs to allow between the two images that it is going to shoot and tell it how much smoothing effect to use when it blends those two photos. I think 3 EV is the max that you can manually set. It also offers an "auto" option, but it doesn't say what range of exposures that will select for you. It is really only for tripod shots....like museum shots, where there is no action happening.....which is really what I wanted it for anyway. It works OK, but I can't say I was blown away by the results.

I would focus more on the features you'd use every day, such as focusing array size, focusing speed/accuracy, burst rate, buffer size, high ISO performance....and handling!!! Those are the attributes that really matter when you're going to shell out a thousand bucks or more on something that you almost have to consider to be expendable.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #24
Greg P

Quote:
I would focus more on the features you'd use every day, such as focusing array size, focusing speed/accuracy, burst rate, buffer size, high ISO performance....and handling!!! Those are the attributes that really matter when you're going to shell out a thousand bucks or more on something that you almost have to consider to be expendable
That was the other thing about the Nikon that jumped out, the insane number of auto focus points.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #25
bigbassloyd

What little bit of time Ive spent with my new body, don't base a decision on the HD mode. It's nothing amazing IMO.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is online now   Reply With Quote