Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default Planning a trip......

.......yielded a thought. That the guidelines previously were waaaaaaaay less strict than today. And I mean, waaaay less strict. Planning a trip for my May vacation over to Rockville/Harrisburg area had me come upon a shot that perfectly defined the "You can get almost anything on the site a while back.

Image © Dave Kerr
PhotoID: 41658
Photograph © Dave Kerr

Not calling Dave out, he takes some nice shots. Although I haven't seen any current shots of his. And not calling out RP either, just a reminder how "easy" it was, haha.

Ben
Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
troy12n
Banned

You have got to be kidding me... how can crap like that get in?

As an aside, dont know where you live, but a purposed trip to Rockville/Harrisburg/Marysville I think you will be kind of dissapointed, as IMHO alot of the "good" places are very much inaccessible now and heavily patrolled by cops/NS bulls or just not safe for various reasons. Plus the yard at Enola is pretty much dead now. Its a decent jaunt if you are "in the area", but IMHO there are better destinations.

Last edited by troy12n; 01-17-2010 at 09:43 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Enola dead? Alright........
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Pittsburgh area is where I am. Is it really that heavily guarded and inaccessible? I've always wanted to take a trip out that way. But if it's not worth the trip, that's ok. Another west slope trip will probably happen. I've got 2 straight weeks this year instead of a week here and a week there.

As to how it got in? I don't know. That's just how it was a little ways back on the site.

Ben
Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

As an aside, dont know where you live, but a purposed trip to Rockville/Harrisburg/Marysville I think you will be kind of dissapointed, as IMHO alot of the "good" places are very much inaccessible now and heavily patrolled by cops/NS bulls or just not safe for various reasons. Plus the yard at Enola is pretty much dead now. Its a decent jaunt if you are "in the area", but IMHO there are better destinations.
I'm siding with the foreman on this one.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
cblaz

Quote:

The amount of misguided opinion in this post is hilarious. Thanks for a good laugh, Troy.

- Chris
/By Troy's definition, the Northeast Corridor can be hit or miss, traffic-wise.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Is it really that heavily guarded and inaccessible?
The last time I was at Rockville Bridge, there were, like, 600 police cars following me, a National Guard unit down by the river, helicopters, tanks . . .

That is the last time I go railfanning with Elwood Blues.

I hate Pennsylvania Nazis.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft View Post
The last time I was at Rockville Bridge, there were, like, 600 police cars following me, a National Guard unit down by the river, helicopters, tanks . . .

That is the last time I go railfanning with Elwood Blues.

I hate Pennsylvania Nazis.
Surprised you didn't see the submarines and battleships they have patroling the river too...

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
TheRoadForeman
Banned

The funny thing is "Troy", NS "Bulls" are based out of Altoona and furthermore, Enola is not dead, trust me on that one! Ben, there are plenty of photo opportunities around that area. Harrisburg east is also good along the harrisburg line to reading. I assure you that you will not be dissapointed with a trek out here!

P.S. Why would you worry about the cops unless you walk right into the terminal or, climb a signal bridge or something?! Get real "Troy"!!!! If you are concerned, stay off of the property, quite simple!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

In all seriousness, Ben, Troy has NO idea what he is talking about. The Harrisburg terminal scanner frequency is constantly going off and usually gets to the point where you can shut it off and enjoy the traffic.

Here are some angles that are easy to get to and hassle-free:
Image © Dave Carney
PhotoID: 310779
Photograph © Dave Carney
The close angle of the bridge. You can also shoot up at the bridge from the edge of the water here as well.
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 284684
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Light is good for most of the day in the shorter months, late morning to early afternoon in the longer months.

The west side of the bridge is easier to shoot since there is a parking area just north of the bridge. You can walk along River Rd. south of the bridge until the light turns and head back.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qqn...01&lvl=1&sty=b
Image © Dave Carney
PhotoID: 259941
Photograph © Dave Carney
South side rapids easy to get to off of River Rd.
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
The "parking area" is a boat launch.

As for traffic, its busy. Minus a few trains that you see on the West Slope and thats what you get in the Rockville Bridge area plus the Buffalo Line movements into and out of Enola and whatever leaves Enola for the Lurgan Sub. which is also publicly accessible on the east side.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I sure hope Troy is wrong, as I'll be staying at the Bridgeview B&B next month and have been told by numerous people (including RP'er Rob Kitchen, a Harrisburg resident) that the line receives a ton of traffic.

Andrew, thanks for answering my question that I had not yet asked! I was curious as to lighting conditions there at the bridge.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
P.S. Why would you worry about the cops unless you walk right into the terminal or, climb a signal bridge or something?! Get real "Troy"!!!! If you are concerned, stay off of the property, quite simple!
I'm not quite sure why you are putting my name in quotes, perhaps to try to piss me off, whatever. This is based on my experiences the few times I have been there. I dont tresspass and everywhere that looks like an interesting place to take pictures is plainly posted so YMMV.

Some of you locals may know better or have better experiences or maybe I just had bad luck the days I was there.

As far as the area in general, unless you think pictures of burned out houses, abandoned factories and rail infrastructure that is a shell of what it was 30 years ago is photogenic, its my opinion your time is best spent elsewhere. Again, just my opinion. No need to jump on me for stating as such mr "rodeforemen"
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I sure hope Troy is wrong, as I'll be staying at the Bridgeview B&B next month and have been told by numerous people (including RP'er Rob Kitchen, a Harrisburg resident) that the line receives a ton of traffic.

Andrew, thanks for answering my question that I had not yet asked! I was curious as to lighting conditions there at the bridge.
The Enola side of the bridge is completely inaccessible unless you are a fan of tresspassing. The Marysville side has access, morning light is good. I think in general the Marysville side is a better neighborhood/town too. I imagine it does get its share of traffic, just not sure what comes through in the day, my experiences have not been favorable.

Last edited by troy12n; 01-17-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Haven't been there in decades, but back then this was all possible... while I guess we may have been "trespassing," there were lots of railfans around and the railroaders all waved hello as they passed. No one threw you out back then.

Image © Charles Freericks
PhotoID: 197507
Photograph © Charles Freericks

PhotoID: 197220

PhotoID: 196973

Last edited by Freericks; 01-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned

I think I have my directions messed up, the Marysville side is more accessible, is it east or west? I think its West.

Last edited by troy12n; 01-17-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
The west side of the bridge is completely inaccessible unless you are a fan of tresspassing. East side has access, morning light is good. I think in general the east side is a better neighborhood/town too. I imagine it does get its share of traffic, just not sure what comes through in the day, my experiences have not been favorable.
Are you joking?! Perhaps you missed this: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qqn...01&lvl=1&sty=b It's a PUBLIC boat launch, I don't get how that is "completely inaccessible". Maybe you should stop speaking unless you know what you are talking about.

Both sides are accessible. East side is Front St. and the west side is River Rd. both of which have places to park. Yes, it isn't wise camping out along Front St. for hours but its been done before unless the local PD (NS has no jurisdiction) starting telling people to move along.

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 01-17-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #17
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Haven't been there in decades, but back then this was all possible... while I guess we may have been "trespassing," there were lots of railfans around and the railroaders all waved hello as they passed. No one threw you out back then.
PhotoID: 197220
I wouldn't recommend this today. In fact, its so grown up on all four sides of the bridge that it would be very difficult if one were stupid enough to try it now. Nice shot though! You are a lucky man to have been able to do it.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #18
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
I'm not quite sure why you are putting my name in quotes, perhaps to try to piss me off, whatever. This is based on my experiences the few times I have been there. I dont tresspass and everywhere that looks like an interesting place to take pictures is plainly posted so YMMV.

Some of you locals may know better or have better experiences or maybe I just had bad luck the days I was there.

As far as the area in general, unless you think pictures of burned out houses, abandoned factories and rail infrastructure that is a shell of what it was 30 years ago is photogenic, its my opinion your time is best spent elsewhere. Again, just my opinion. No need to jump on me for stating as such mr "rodeforemen"
I put your name out as you have stated and BTW, learn the area before you comment! And, If I piss you off "Troy", PM me and I am up for a good battle that you will lose! Jackoff!

P.S. Spell my name right! rodeforemen is so fourth grade!! And again, learn the area before you comment!!! Where are these "Burned out" structures that you say? I really doubt that you have visited the area before....

Ben, PM me if you want the facts on the area, not "Troys" speculation.

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 01-18-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Troy is an asshole....
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #19
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Speaking of the whole Harrisburg/Rockville bridge area, I am curious as to how many trains can be seen passing over the bridge in 24 hours. What types of trains? What is the name of the subdivision? Passenger service?

Just a handful of the questions I have about this unique stretch of railroad.

Chase
Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Speaking of the whole Harrisburg/Rockville bridge area, I am curious as to how many trains can be seen passing over the bridge in 24 hours. What types of trains? What is the name of the subdivision? Passenger service?

Just a handful of the questions I have about this unique stretch of railroad.

Chase
Chase, NS does not use the term subdivision, the area in question is the Harrisburg Line and the Pittsburg Line.

I do not know true frequency, you will have to ask "Troy" since he resides in Florida and knows everything!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #21
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
I wouldn't recommend this today. In fact, its so grown up on all four sides of the bridge that it would be very difficult if one were stupid enough to try it now. Nice shot though! You are a lucky man to have been able to do it.
Andrew, thank you! Seriously!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #22
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
I think I have my directions messed up, the Marysville side is more accessible, is it east or west? I think its West.
Here is a great idea "Troy", STFU!!! Get the idea?! Live in Florida, stay in Florida! I am not an internet thug, I will tell you the same thing in person just as I will online!

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 01-18-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #23
stlgevo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n
As far as the area in general, unless you think pictures of burned out houses, abandoned factories and rail infrastructure that is a shell of what it was 30 years ago is photogenic, its my opinion your time is best spent elsewhere.
I think that those burned out and abandoned buildings can be worked into a shot to make it appealing. They show history and go beyond the 3/4 wedgie. Of course that is my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #24
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
I was a teenager when I took that shot... and as I recall, it was a bit of a grab shot... we were set up for the train to come across the bridge, when it stopped about where it is there. When we realized it was backing up to shove and wasn't coming any closer, we moved for that shot.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #25
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Chase, NS does not use the term subdivision, the area in question is the Harrisburg Line and the Pittsburg Line.

I do not know true frequency, you will have to ask "Troy" since he resides in Florida and knows everything!
Kevin,

Huntington Division, Pocahontas District, it all means the same! You know what I meant!

Thanks for the name of the lines, nontheless!

Chase

Last edited by Chase55671; 01-18-2010 at 01:46 AM.