Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
PLEzero

Default Sand Patch Snow Fake?

I received the following private message yesterday. Is this really what the RP community has come to? Note that this isn't even my photo!

I think some people are getting a little out of control. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Removed
The Sand Patch shot you posted the other day, really looked PS'd to me. 1. The snow looks fake. 2. I also checked the weather history for Meyersdale, PA, about 4 miles away and 350 ft lower, and it said it didn't precipitate at all there on the 8th. 3. I also see what looks a lot like sunlight lighting the train. Care to explain?

Image © Tom Mugnano
PhotoID: 351065
Photograph © Tom Mugnano
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
I received the following private message yesterday. Is this really what the RP community has come to?
There are certainly nicer ways of asking (or in this case accusing), but at least someone had a modicum of courtesy to ask via private e-mail first.

It does not help that the site is advertised as it is:

"The purpose of our website is to display genuine, authentic photographs of trains and railroad related scenes. Bearing this in mind, digital manipulation of photographs (beyond standard post-processing techniques such as levelling, sharpening, dust removal, etc.) is not permitted on photographs submitted to RailPictures.Net."

More power to those who are able to bend (break) some rules but as a courtesy to all, I think the moral thing to do is to note manipulations that go beyond the exagerated (adding and subtracting things), as well as artificially creating special effects.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
KevinM

Quote:
Image © Tom Mugnano
PhotoID: 351065
Photograph © Tom Mugnano

At least this thread isn't entitled with expletives..... Thank you, Brad.

To me, the out-of-control comment goes both ways.

Apparently, a fair number of folks have so much time on their hands that they spend their days probing for flaws in other people's pictures. I find that sad. When I look at an interesting, or even stunning photo, my first reaction is generally: "Wow, what do I need to do to get pictures like that?" Quite honestly, the thought that the person might have faked the shot really never crosses my mind. I spend my evenings trying to figure out how to do a better job shooting and postprocessing MY pictures (and never feeling they're quite good enough). Time spent trying to find ways to bring others down is not only unfulfilling, but it does little to enhance one's reputation.

On the other hand, those who try to steal the daily thunder through wholesale digital manipulation (we're not talking about removing twigs, trash or errant body parts here) don't do the hobby/profession any favors either. These days, faked photos have become so common that almost anything with any "wow" factor immediately has a cast of doubt over it. There's nothing wrong with a cool Photoshop job, but I agree with Mitch that it should be advertised as "art", not as documentary.

But I do wish people would be more civil and respectful of each other. This is supposed to be "fun" and there is no call for either deliberate meanness or deliberate deception.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
I received the following private message yesterday. Is this really what the RP community has come to? Note that this isn't even my photo!

Thoughts? Just one...whoever wrote that is a moron.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Ween

Here's some potential explanation:

1) A weather report from four miles away is quite a long distance especially when it comes to mountainous terrain. I live on a ridge, and sometimes it's snowing here and there's nothing reported at the nearest reporting station...4 miles away.

2) Maybe it wasn't actually snowing, but the snow you see in the shot is blowing/falling off the trees. Happens all the time and it tees me off when I shovel my driveway and then the wind kicks up and all the snow on the Ponderosa Pines fall on my driveway!

3) The person who wrote that e-mail is a most-likely a douche.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Doesn't look photoshopped to me. I looked at the photo when it was originally accepted and to me, I saw no indications of photoshopped snow. I think the shallow depth of field is why the snow appears photoshopped. Besides, it's not a heavy snow squall, I would consider it more along the lines of flurries/light snow and that is entirely common when the sun is shining.

Agreed with Jim on this. Whoever wrote that is a dumbass. I think the whole RP community is just looking for fake pans, fake snow, and selectively colored bodies of water, because of the recent material. They're panicked and overreacting with each submission.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Whoever wrote that is a dumbass.
My RP.net Photos
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
NathanAirChime

To Brad & whoever called this a fake ( i think we know who it was) obviousy knows less about photography than i thought. And why would they send you a private message rather than call it out themselves? Care to share that info with the rest of the finger pointing crowd? I have the RAW and am willing to prove that the photo is not a fake and im sure Engineer Tom K can also verify it was a lite flurry of snow activity... i can say that the person that sent the private message has probably done some fake PSing on RP and is on the verge of getting caught and trying to start trouble as usual. Anyone here that seriously thinks this is a fake... please send me a message with your name and address and i will send you a copy of the RAW file that can not be mannipulated in any way and then see if u call me out that a fake... the DRAMA lives on... the only FAKE is the person or persons that fall into the Drama tory of this story
NathanAirChime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanAirChime View Post
I have the RAW and am willing to prove that the photo is not a fake and im sure Engineer Tom K can also verify it was a lite flurry of snow activity...
You don't have to prove anything. It's obvious to anyone who has ever shot in snowy conditions that this photo has not been altered at all.

Quote:
The Sand Patch shot you posted the other day, really looked PS'd to me. 1. The snow looks fake. 2. I also checked the weather history for Meyersdale, PA, about 4 miles away and 350 ft lower, and it said it didn't precipitate at all there on the 8th. 3. I also see what looks a lot like sunlight lighting the train. Care to explain?
I guess whoever thinks it's a fake has never seen a rainbow before, either. Really...how could it be sunny if it's raining!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
PLEzero

Quote:
To Brad & whoever called this a fake ( i think we know who it was) obviousy knows less about photography than i thought. And why would they send you a private message rather than call it out themselves? Care to share that info with the rest of the finger pointing crowd? I have the RAW and am willing to prove that the photo is not a fake and im sure Engineer Tom K can also verify it was a lite flurry of snow activity... i can say that the person that sent the private message has probably done some fake PSing on RP and is on the verge of getting caught and trying to start trouble as usual. Anyone here that seriously thinks this is a fake... please send me a message with your name and address and i will send you a copy of the RAW file that can not be mannipulated in any way and then see if u call me out that a fake... the DRAMA lives on... the only FAKE is the person or persons that fall into the Drama tory of this story
Not really sure where you are going with that Tom. If you think I am accusing your photo of being a fake you are wrong. The point of this thread is to point out how ridiculous some are over calling out fake photos. Your photo looks very real to me and nothing looks unusual. I believe everyone that has responded so far agrees with me. You also posted another photo to facebook from this sequence that has very real looking snow in it.

As Mitch pointed out, I think it was in better taste to question a photo via private message than to start a thread bashing a photo with no real evidence. How the message ended up in my PM box is anyone's guess. I would think he would have just contacted you through the link on the page with your photo. Although you rarely post to the forums he somehow got us confused (we are from the same area). Did he end up sending you a message after he realized his mistake or did he decide against it after reading my response?
My RP.net Photos
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Not really sure where you are going with that Tom. If you think I am accusing your photo of being a fake you are wrong.
Brad, you are wrong. Tom wasn't accusing you, he was just including your name in the message. That was obvious with the second sentence in the post:

Quote:
And why would they send you a private message rather than call it out themselves?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Looks legit to me. Hasn't anyone seen sun while snowing? Haha. Or it could have been blowing snow? Looks good to me Tom.

Ben
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Looks legit to me. Hasn't anyone seen sun while snowing? Haha.
I dont know if it's fake or not, but I have never heard of "sunsnow". I know and have seen "sunshowers", so I guess it's possible the same atmospheric conditions which produce one can produce the other.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #14
NathanAirChime

[Q. Although you rarely post to the forums he somehow got us confused (we are from the same area). Did he end up sending you a message after he realized his mistake or did he decide against it after reading my response?[/quote]

No one ever sent me a private message thru RP or anywhere else. Im not sure how you send a response to the wrong inbox as you have to send a message thru that persons photo or page so it seems like a pretty lame excuse to me. Im still willing to take on that person or anyone else that wants to bet $ on the photo as being a fake... i can always use some extra ca$h

Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
PLEzero

Quote:
Im not sure how you send a response to the wrong inbox as you have to send a message thru that persons photo or page so it seems like a pretty lame excuse to me.
It was sent through the private message feature on the forums not RP.net.
My RP.net Photos
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #16
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I'm still not understanding why the message was sent to brad? Haha. Dumbass is putting it nicely.

Ben
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
NathanAirChime

Quote:
It was sent through the private message feature on the forums not RP.net.
I figured out who it was by looking at your first message again and the questions. The 1. The snow looks fake. 2. I also checked the weather history for Meyersdale, PA,... that #2 looking up the weather was in a previous FAKE SNOW thread that happened to be a real case.... so i think we now know .... who sent the PM
Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I looked at the picture and there appear to be 2-3 snow flakes which are visibly turned orangish by the headlights. I think that would be very difficult to fake. I would say this image is legit, and it was probably a wind gust.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool Explanation

"3. I also see what looks a lot like sunlight lighting the train. Care to explain?"

Shore. It is sunlight. It comes from a bright round thing that's on fire and floating up in the sky, and the light from the big fire shines on our trains and makes them look real nice and perty.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #20
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post
"3. I also see what looks a lot like sunlight lighting the train. Care to explain?"

Shore. It is sunlight. It comes from a bright round thing that's on fire and floating up in the sky, and the light from the big fire shines on our trains and makes them look real nice and perty.
This man is a genius!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #21
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
This man is a genius!
I believe a genius would use the correct form of "sure"...just sayin'.