Old 07-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Miketherailfan

Default Common power shot??

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1055076703

This shot got recently rejected, and I don't see why. This shot (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=193277&nseq=6) was accepted and was taken on a cloudy + rainy day!

I don't see why mine was rejected. And I also got the common power shot excuse; really, GP9s are common??
Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
JRMDC

Think of "common power" as "easily re-shot" power. Anyone can stop by the SBVR and get that unit on a nicer day.

The comparison shot is a cool shot that captures a deluge! A neat cloudburst shot - it's about the rain, it's not about the lack of sun. It's not about light, it's about texture. Yours is just a dull overcast day.

Sorry Mike, but actually, especially given how interesting the light is for this shot of yours
Image © Mike Huhn
PhotoID: 184119
Photograph © Mike Huhn

I'm surprised that you are surprised this one is rejected!

OOPS, CORRECTION: you are Michael Huhn, not Mike Huhn! Or maybe you are both, who knows? Anyway, your shot is a poorly lit roster shot. The comparison shot is poorly lit but replaces light with something else of photographic interest, the visible rainfall.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 07-23-2007 at 07:58 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Miketherailfan

Well I have about 80 some other good shots from that week anyway, and probably a better shot of the 6604.

BTW, I prefer to go by Mike, actually.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Ween

Quote:
don't see why mine was rejected. And I also got the common power shot excuse; really, GP9s are common??
It's an all-in-one rejection that the screener's click on since 98% pf the Poor Lighting (Cloudy) rejects are of common power. It's not saying the power you shot is common, it's more that it's poor light...
Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketherailfan
BTW, I prefer to go by Mike, actually.
Sorry, I was not clear. I went looking for your other shots and found three by "Mike Huhn". Then I noticed that you had provided a link, with three by "Michael Huhn." So I got confused. Are the three a set of yours or shots by someone else, forcing you to sign up to RP as Michael?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
And I also got the common power shot excuse; really, GP9s are common??
There are 2,035 shots of GP9s on Railpictures. So, yeah, I'm inclined to say they are common at least to the point where they will not accept subpar shots of GP9s that can be easily reshot almost any other day.

Quote:
I don't see why mine was rejected.
Really? You don't? Well, the lighting was bad, the crop is too tight on both sides. The shot appears to be unlevel, there appears to be some grain or noise in the shot and the angle is bad for starters.

And comparing your rejected shot to one already in the database doesn't win any points with me and I doubt it would with the screeners. Your shot should either stand on it's own or fall on it's own.

Joe
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Really? You don't? Well, the lighting was bad, the crop is too tight on both sides. The shot appears to be unlevel, there appears to be some grain or noise in the shot and the angle is bad for starters.

And comparing your rejected shot to one already in the database doesn't win any points with me and I doubt it would with the screeners. Your shot should either stand on it's own or fall on it's own.
It's so great to read the original post and know exactly what you're going to reply, but wait, its already been done! What is with people comparing apples to rubber tires lately? The shots are not even CLOSE to being similar.

You are whining about a rejection that states two possible reasons cloudy OR cloudy/common...think about it for a minute. You were there taking the photo but can one who wasn't really tell anything about the loco from that angle? Easy, no. Rejection reason is correct, but "bad angle" should also be included. As well as cropping/composition.

As for singling out John's shot, you pretty much gave him free publicity so I will continue the trend since this is a good day for him (see newest issue of Railfan & Railroad to see what I mean). Congrats on an excellent work of art, John!

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 193277
Photograph © John Higginson

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
JimThias

I agree with you about John's shot, Andrew. I love the pouring rain shots on here and I've been waiting for the opporunity myself to get one. I've got plenty of cloudy day shots, sunny day shots and snowy shots. What I DON'T have in my collection is pouring rain shots. I'm even going to fashion an extra long hood for my 100-400 lens to keep the glass dry (while I hold the rest of the lens and camera in a modified 2 gallon ziplock baggy. )

Now if I could just find my September issue of Railfan mag I could see his picture(s?) in there.

Last edited by JimThias; 07-24-2007 at 01:01 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 AM   #9
Flowing

I'm glad that most of you seem to like the rain shot. I wasn't really sure what to think about it when I took it, but I thought it looked pretty neat, especially with the thin white line of 'back splash' on top of the train, indicating what a hard rain it was. Interestingly, the shot was taken from the cab of the Porter steam engine on display at the Cowan Railroad Museum, where I sought refuge from the downpour.

The shot below was printed in the September R&R in an article about Chattanooga area railfanning by Steve Freer, who also is editor of TVRM's newsletter.

Image © John Higginson
PhotoID: 182338
Photograph © John Higginson

Actually, I haven't gotten my copy yet and haven't even seen it for myself, but I'm looking forward to it! Thanks again guys.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
Joe the Photog

Congratulations, John. It's good to see a former North Carolinian get in a major publication. I only saw red and white on the Yadkin Valley once after they were bought out, but the 201 was one of them that day.

Joe
Old 07-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing

The shot below was printed in the September R&R in an article about Chattanooga area railfanning by Steve Freer, who also is editor of TVRM's newsletter.
Ahh, they used a color version in the mag. I think I like the b/w version better.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
Flowing

Thanks, Joe. There is a bumper sticker that someone slapped on the 201 under the walkway near the rear of the engine on the conductor's side. I can't remember the name of the town, but it says 'I love _(town name)_, NC.' I took a video shot of it but not a photo otherwise I would go look it up. I thought it was a pretty interesting souvenir from her time on the Yadkin Valley.

Jim, I like the B&W version better too, as it is a little backlit and putting it into B&W makes things pop better (mainly the glint on the rails and the contrast between the railroad equipment and the backlit trees). I'm ecstatic to have gotten published though!
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote