Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
sopacific

Default Rejects

I am having a hard time understanding why decent photos are rejected, especially when there are those that are questionable. Every photo I have submitted so far has been rejected. Any comments on this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	844.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	2282  
sopacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Ween

Looks like High Sun. Do you have a link to the rejection?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Arne H. B.

Welcome to the forums, Sopacific. Next time try posting a link to the rejected photo so we can see what the reason(s) for rejection was. The subject of your pic is nice, I love GP30s in any color I have to say, it is basically a roster shot though. Nothing wrong with that either, but for a roster lighting needs to be just about perfect, and this shot suffers from mild "high sun", meaning there are shadows on the trucks of the locomotive. Nose light is bright, even light in this side looks okay until you look at the underside. There's still enough light to see detail but it's in the shade. An hour earlier or later would probably have done it right. What kind of camera are you using? Another thing I see is pixelation in the sky, though this might be from resizing. I would say go back if possible when you see the truck sideframes fully lit, and try again at maybe a bit faster shutter speed. There are some really good photographers here willing to give good advice, keep trying and browse through the database to get some more ideas on what usually gets in. Good luck and have fun! Arne Brown
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

Welcome SOPACIFIC,

Your photograph is nicely composed, but it is a roster shot of a musuem/tourist line engine (thus easily accessible). I think to get one of those in, they have to just be absolutely perfect in every detail.

I would guess (without knowing for sure) that the problem here is that you are using an older camera with low megapixels. The picture really reminds me of the kind of pictures that I got from my first Canon PowerShot (which at the time was an expensive camera).

What kind of camera are you shooting with?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
sopacific

Default high sun

It was approx 3pm, I will forward link in awhile...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopacific
I am having a hard time understanding why decent photos are rejected, especially when there are those that are questionable. Every photo I have submitted so far has been rejected. Any comments on this one?
Im not a good photographer or anything like that but your photo looks a tad bit oversharpend.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
JimThias

Three reasons I see right away:

-high sun
-overexposed
-over saturated
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
sopacific

Default Irony

I really appreciate all the great comments from all. The rejection was for not being level, and not sharp enough. So I had to crop it to make it level and then sharpen it!
The one thing I agree with is that my camera was not good enough. It was a spur of the moment visit there, and I only had a 5MP snap-shooter.
The one thing I do not understand is that every once in a while I see pictures accepted that are not nearly as nice as the ones I have submitted with my 8MP. Maybe once you get pictures accepted they are more lenient (?). I have just been very frustrated to the point of forgetting about it.
But I do appreciate all the responses.
sopacific
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

Quote:
Maybe once you get pictures accepted they are more lenient (?).
Nope. I think they start to expect even better.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

It's very hard to get photos in here period. Don't dispair, the people here will teach you alot and its hard work.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

You're going to hate my answer, but it's one of those, you start to get it when you start to get it kind of things.

I got quite a lot of rejects when I started. Now it's much less. (My last two rejects were both because the picture was too similar to another picture of mine... a reject I won't get again either, as now I know not to do that.)

I've learned, from the pictures that were accepted, what to look for ahead of time before I submit.

PS - So as to be totally up front, I have the huge advantage of submitting many pictures that I took 30 years ago... and the rules are honestly relaxed on those... but even so, I'm not getting the same amount of rejects on my new photos either... and it's due to self-editing. When I started I submitted five pictures one day. Now, I generally submit one or two in a sitting. Chances are those three I didn't submit would have been rejected.

PPS - When you look at the questionable photos, what are the subject matter? A cloudy day shot of L&N U-Boats in 1968 will get in. The same quality shot of BNSF Dash 9s this morning won't.

Last edited by Freericks; 11-08-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P
It's very hard to get photos in here period.
How do you figure? I find it quite easy, actually.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 AM   #13
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
How do you figure? I find it quite easy, actually.
It's really difficult at first, but gets a lot easier... if you've ever looked at rrpicturearchives.net, you have to agree that it's much, much easier to take a crappy picture than a good one. Knowing how to focus, deal with light, and frame shots is not something that comes naturally to most people.

Getting back to the picture that was submitted and rejected, I don't know that you'll be able to sharpen it enough to get it accepted - parked equipment at a museum has to be tack sharp in order to make it in, and I'm not seeing the potential in that particular image.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
sd9

Quote:
Three reasons I see right away:

-high sun
-overexposed
-over saturated
Don't forget obstructing foreground objects (the fence)
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
sopacific

Default Answers

I want you all to know, each and every one of you have answered my questions and doubts about RailPictures.Net.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #16
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9
Don't forget obstructing foreground objects (the fence)
The fence doesn't obstruct the train, it's just there in the foreground. You should only get that rejection when there's something actually blocking part of the train.

Another example of a non-obstructing fence, that I found in my dad's shots:

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 154529
Photograph © Louis Becker

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #17
sopacific

Default Carl Becker

Now that is a really appreciated reply. It was POSITIVE and welcome. I know it is all to easy to get into criticism and negativity, but without criticism I guess one wouldn't improve. It is just nice to have it in a positive form.
Thanks. sopacifc John
Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
sopacific

Default 844

I guess the one thing I feel was missed is that this engine, #844 was the engine responsible for keeping UP 8444 from becoming its original number 844, until the GP30 was retired. In that case, all the esthetics and disecting have less importance. And now retired, it is restored and back at work pulling passenger trains, which is a positive thing, and great for railfans.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Now that is a really appreciated reply. It was POSITIVE and welcome. I know it is all to easy to get into criticism and negativity, but without criticism I guess one wouldn't improve. It is just nice to have it in a positive form.
Thanks. sopacifc John
So... are you saying the other comments are overly negative? Jim's may have been a little strange, but everything else looks like honest constructive criticism to me...

As to Carl's response, it was certainly positive, but it wasn't criticism, he just said what you did wasn't wrong... so that's not actually criticism.

Many people are happy to offer helpful constructive criticism, but when you reply with things like "I want you all to know, each and every one of you have answered my questions and doubts about RailPictures.Net," the eagerness to offer our help quickly dissipates.

If I misunderstood your response, I'm sorry, but it was a bit cryptic... you're either saying we're great or we're terrible, and the follow up message quoted above seems to indicate you weren't happy with the previous responses.

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
If I misunderstood your response, I'm sorry, but it was a bit cryptic... you're either saying we're great or we're terrible, and the follow up message quoted above seems to indicate you weren't happy with the previous responses.

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows!
My guess is that you misunderstood; I took it as positive, and also that a comparison was being drawn between this tread and others that have been of a harsher nature.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #21
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
My guess is that you misunderstood; I took it as positive, and also that a comparison was being drawn between this tread and others that have been of a harsher nature.
I hope so.

sopacific/John, did I misunderstand? If so, I really do apologize, there are some people who ask for feedback, get it, and then get really aggravated for some reason, and it's kinda frustrating.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Jim's may have been a little strange, but everything else looks like honest constructive criticism to me...
How was my reply any more "strange" than Greg's? He made quite a firm statement that it was hard to get pics on here. I simply disagreed.

One person finds it hard, another finds it easy. Nothing strange about either.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
How was my reply any more "strange" than Greg's? He made quite a firm statement that it was hard to get pics on here. I simply disagreed.

One person finds it hard, another finds it easy. Nothing strange about either.
Fair enough, but Greg was trying to be supportive to the new guy. When somebody starts a thread and they're frustrated about a rejection, if someone says "I find it quite easy, actually," it could come across as slightly rude and/or arrogant - I'm not saying you're either of those, I'm just saying that's one way of seeing it. Perhaps it was out of line for me to single you at as being strange, but judging from your other posts, you can handle it

/ Sorry!
// Apologies for apologizing so much
/// No more posts from me this morning
Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
Fair enough, but Greg was trying to be supportive to the new guy. When somebody starts a thread and they're frustrated about a rejection, if someone says "I find it quite easy, actually," it could come across as slightly rude and/or arrogant - I'm not saying you're either of those, I'm just saying that's one way of seeing it. Perhaps it was out of line for me to single you at as being strange, but judging from your other posts, you can handle it
Fair enough.

Sorry for coming across that way, that wasn't my intention.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #25
Joe the Photog

Quote:
I guess the one thing I feel was missed is that this engine, #844 was the engine responsible for keeping UP 8444 from becoming its original number 844, until the GP30 was retired. In that case, all the esthetics and disecting have less importance.
Nope. I don't agree with that at all, esp. considering this one is in a museum now and anyone cn apparently go get a picture of it.

Joe