Old 09-17-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
alstom
Banned

Default Will this make it?

I tried to find the best of the best scenery, the best of the best location, the best of the best lighting, and the best of the best editing software (photoshop). So, do you think that this will make it in? Opinions and comments accepted!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewqueued.php?id=289560

Rich

alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

It's a great location, but I would have let the train ease across the trestle a little bit. (Easy for me to say, of course, not knowing what obstructions there may have been.) But if the train could have been more centered across the water, I think it would look much better.

That said, the sun is high. Look at the trucks and the bottom side of the bridge. The shot also appears over exposed as well as oversharpened. Look at the trees in the background.

My best guess is that this one will n ot make the dance, but that the location is excellent and you should try again by all means.

Joe
Old 09-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
It's a great location, but I would have let the train ease across the trestle a little bit. (Easy for me to say, of course, not knowing what obstructions there may have been.) But if the train could have been more centered across the water, I think it would look much better.

That said, the sun is high. Look at the trucks and the bottom side of the bridge. The shot also appears over exposed as well as oversharpened. Look at the trees in the background.

My best guess is that this one will n ot make the dance, but that the location is excellent and you should try again by all means.

Joe
Yeah, I won't lie, I did hit the sharpen button twice at photoshop. But I thought that they liked the material looking like that. Also, a tree branch possibly could have got in the way. Though I do have photos of the locomotive centered across the bridge a little more, but the shots are a little crooked. So I used this one. I knew the trucks would be an issue. But try, try again I guess.

Rich

Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

I donot think that there is high sun as i looked to the shadows of the sleeprs that reflected on the lower part of the bridge.I can say that the sun make angel of about 60 degrees with the ground and facing the front of the train so that the trucks are something dark.Also as Joe said its suffer from oversharpened as we can see that in the trees but the locomotive looks well sharpened.So my guess that it will be rejected for overexposed and oversharpened.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
a231pacific

Richard,

Nice picture, but it looks over processed. As Joe has mentioned, it's high sun and it looks like you have lightened the shot up in order to get the engine and trucks looking lighter. The foliage in the background is way too light. I moved the mid tone slider to about 85% to get it looking good.

Because it's a nice looking location, you might try going back to the original shot, rough lasso the engine and create a new layer, then using shadow recovery on the new layer. Play around with the opacity of the new layer, then when you are satisfied, merge the layers. When you are finished, resize the shot for RP, then sharpen, but don't over do it.

You may or may not get the high sun rejection, but it's worth a try.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

Oversharpening has been one of my weaknesses. I've had a shot or two rejected for that. And I think it's worse with my f4L 70 to 200 mm. Sometimes I don't need to sharpen shots at all and it just doesn't feel right.

Joe
Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
Ween

Quote:
Though I do have photos of the locomotive centered across the bridge a little more, but the shots are a little crooked.
Any reason Photoshop can't be used to level the photo?

Quote:
And I think it's worse with my f4L 70 to 200 mm. Sometimes I don't need to sharpen shots at all and it just doesn't feel right.
I use the same lens but I'll do two passes with the Unsharp Mask, one when the image is full size, and once when the image has been resized down to 1024 pixels. I've typically used 100-125%, 0.5 radius, 0 threshold for the full size image and then 35-50%, 0.3-0.5 radius, 0 threshold.

Since I've picked up selective sharpening, I'll do the smae first pass with the full size image and then the second pass only on what I want sharpened. It seems to have been working pretty well for me...
Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Any reason Photoshop can't be used to level the photo?

I use the same lens but I'll do two passes with the Unsharp Mask, one when the image is full size, and once when the image has been resized down to 1024 pixels. I've typically used 100-125%, 0.5 radius, 0 threshold for the full size image and then 35-50%, 0.3-0.5 radius, 0 threshold.

Since I've picked up selective sharpening, I'll do the smae first pass with the full size image and then the second pass only on what I want sharpened. It seems to have been working pretty well for me...
Thanks for the tips guys. But BTW Ween, I do not have a huge high tech version of photoshop. Nothing heavy duty at all. Just the generic version that can be downloaded from their site. If this shot doesn't make it, then I'll go back to the original, and work from there.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
alstom
Banned

Well, here are some other shots from today. The last photo is the original of the shot that I submitted. And yes, a couple are crooked.

Rich

Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 AM   #10
a231pacific

Rich,

Compare the look of the leaves on the trees between your original and your photo shopped version. The original is a lot better!

Over sharpening causes the leaves to develop a white border and look washed out.

Talking about the shot you first posted, you would have a better looking picture if you had let the engine go 1/2 engine length further. Then you could have cropped the shot with the center bridge pier on the right side of the frame. Then the engine would have been at one of the rule of third's points. (Go read John West's post about the rule of thirds.) Bridge shots always look better if there is a pier or abutment on each side of the photo to anchor it, instead of having the bridge appear to project out into space.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 AM   #11
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Rich,

Compare the look of the leaves on the trees between your original and your photo shopped version. The original is a lot better!

Over sharpening causes the leaves to develop a white border and look washed out.

Talking about the shot you first posted, you would have a better looking picture if you had let the engine go 1/2 engine length further. Then you could have cropped the shot with the center bridge pier on the right side of the frame. Then the engine would have been at one of the rule of third's points. (Go read John West's post about the rule of thirds.) Bridge shots always look better if there is a pier or abutment on each side of the photo to anchor it, instead of having the bridge appear to project out into space.

Michael Allen
I know what you're saying. So if the enhanced shot doesn't make it. I will work with the original, without the sharpening. That seems like it has more hope. And yes, I see what you mean about the leaves. Very noticable.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:25 AM   #12
alstom
Banned

Alright, does this trip your trigger:

Old 09-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
alstom
Banned

Yep, rejected for High Sun and Oversharpened! Thanks for the tips guys! I will submit the original tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #14
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Yep, rejected for High Sun and Oversharpened! Thanks for the tips guys! I will submit the original tomorrow.
The original will still suffer from High Sun...so why bother?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

There's also a lot of room between the fromt of the engine and the side of the picture.

Joe
Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
There's also a lot of room between the fromt of the engine and the side of the picture.

Joe
I know, that majorly sucks on my end. I will just let this one go. And submit another one some other time.