Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
OBrian Harmon

Default First undersharpened, then color hue

I submitted this shot of a northbound auto train heading into CSX's queensgate yard in the late evening a few days ago, and had it rejected for being undersharpened, so i touched it up and resubmitted it this morning and it was rejected for color hue. i agree that it was soft at first but I can't quite see anything wrong the color. Should I leave this one alone? What do you think?

Here are the rejections:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...46&key=1039868

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...38&key=6635286
OBrian Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Joseph Cermak

I assume they want it less "yellow" though it looks fine to me for a shot around that time of day. However, it does look like it's leaning a little left looking at the building on the left and bridge in the back right.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Unless it was late evening, the yeller is strong with this one. Also needs CCW adjustment and distortion correction. They may nail you with a nose light themed rejection afterwards depending on their mood. Image quality appears to have took a hit after the adjustments too. Did you go back to the full size or simply fix the first jpeg?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
KevinM

While I don't have the original raw to look at in detail, this image should be correctable.

As Loyd indicated, when resubmitting an image, never attempt to edit a low-res JPEG. Delete it and go back either to a raw file or an edited TIF. Make your changes there, then resize and re-sharpen.

Speaking of sharpening, that's a two-step process for me. I do what I call Input Sharpening on the original raw image in Lightroom. Then, after exporting the low-res JPEG for RP, I sharpen a second time. That's a really critical step. Even a raw image that's a tad soft can look decently sharp after resizing and resharpening. Don't get crazy with it, but do look at it carefully at 100%.

With regard to color, there are a number of ways to adjust it. In raw, you should be able to manually adjust the color temperature and tint. There are usually other, more automatic tools like "Autocolor" or some sort of eyedropper tool in which you touch something white or gray in the image and that should cool it off. I'm not a fan of those "auto" tools, but some folks may be happy with the results. Personally, I'd adjust it manually, and again, don't get crazy. If the temp is 5500K, bring it down to 5250K and see what that looks like. Adjust the tint as needed so there are no greenish or reddish tints in things that should be white, such as the white panel on the second unit.

Lastly, I would level it. This image is definitely unlevel and will probably drive Jim Thias crazy when he reads this thread. I am very surprised they didn't bag it for unlevel. Pick a vertical line....perhaps on one of the auto racks near the center of the frame. Rotate it to get that vertical. Then use the vertical perspective slider to get the verticals at the edges of the frame, such as the building walls, so they are also vertical.

This should be salvageable. Definitely take your time editing anything you are going to post here. I usually kill the better part of an hour editing, posting and writing a caption for an RP shot.....and then agonize over it afterward and wonder if it still needs adjustment. Strive for perfection. You won't ever get there, but your work will be better because of it.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 03-21-2019 at 04:53 PM.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
OBrian Harmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Unless it was late evening, the yeller is strong with this one. Also needs CCW adjustment and distortion correction. They may nail you with a nose light themed rejection afterwards depending on their mood. Image quality appears to have took a hit after the adjustments too. Did you go back to the full size or simply fix the first jpeg?

Loyd L.
I Just fixed the edited JPEG version
OBrian Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
RobJor

If you have an earlier frame , I'd use that and get rid of the corner of the building, it looks like the rest of the building lines are OK, I don't think it is as easy as rotating: and keep the engine a little further from the edge.

I hate taking the yellow out of late light photos. I have done it to get accepted but don't like it. I might try a little shadow adjustment because you still have "backlit" rejection coming. Only truly backlit get accepted and then screeners choice.

Sometimes I just pull the vibrance down a little or I go back to raw auto tone and adjust the color hue.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote